Gotta hate Americans

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Fraser TV: Dissing the Americans
Posted: August 13, 2009, 5:21 PM by NP Editor Fraser TV

Prof. Alexander Moens says a study of Canadian parliamentary attitudes to the U.S. found the Bloc and the NDP consistently anti-American, while Liberal attitudes depend on whether the party is in power or not.

Fraser TV: Dissing the Americans - Full Comment

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
I'd be interested to see what the actual definition of anti-American is. With many people it seems a mere disagreement with a given US government policy equates with anti-Americanism.

Of course, one could just as easily claim that US Republicans are anti-Canadian.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I always wonder why there are so many threads on this since most Canadians are not anti American and I don't think too many Americans are anti Canadian. There is always a few on either side but - who cares!

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And he's a professor? What does it mean to be for or against? He never clearly defines that. Then he just throws all party members in any given party into the same pot. That video truly was sad. I'm always willing to consider well-researched documents from the Fraser Institute, but that came across as some kind of propaganda film.

I'm not saying there's no truth to his claims, but just that it's grossly oversimplified, especially coming from a professor.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I am anti-American capitalism and consumerism, anti-American administration (most of the time). Generally, I love the people, though.
But then I love Canadians and am anti-Canadian capitalism and consumerism, ant-Canadian administration (most of the time).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd be interested to see what the actual definition of anti-American is. With many people it seems a mere disagreement with a given US government policy equates with anti-Americanism.

Of course, one could just as easily claim that US Republicans are anti-Canadian.

That's what I'm wondering too.... I know I've been called anti-American over a host of issues, when really, I just didn't like what their current gov was up to. It's a pretty quick 'shut-up' card played often on forums. But in terms of this 'study' I really wonder what their criteria was.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If ya hate them yanks, ya must be a left wingnut.

Hey, I see a squirrel outside my window. Just wait till I get my shotgun. Be back in a minute.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If ya hate them yanks, ya must be a left wingnut.

Hey, I see a squirrel outside my window. Just wait till I get my shotgun. Be back in a minute.
Uh ---- is it stealing your acorns?;-)