How to achieve the objectives of the gun control laws?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Some criticize the gun control laws as being ineffective in achieving their primary objective, which is to reduce the occurrence of violent crime.

So if gun control is not the way to go, then what would you recommend to be more effective ways of achieving these objectives?

Among some ideas I'd have could include:

Improve access to education in a trade or profession for all.

This would not solve all problems of course, but it woudl at least reduce the rate of crime caused by destitution or unemployment.

Of course other strategies might be needed to deal with addicts stealing for drug money, estranged spouces who simly lose their minds temporarily when they learn that their spouce intends to divorce, etc.

I don't know the answer to all these solutions, but I would be open to ideas.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Some criticize the gun control laws as being ineffective in achieving their primary objective, which is to reduce the occurrence of violent crime.

I beleive you are starting with an incorrect premise. The primary objective of gun control laws is to disarm the population. It is dressed as "reducing the occurrence of violent crime."

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I beleive you are starting with an incorrect premise. The primary objective of gun control laws is to disarm the population. It is dressed as "reducing the occurrence of violent crime."

Well Said! The primary objective of gun control laws is to disarm the Law Abiding
population would be better....but still, Well Said!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well Said! The primary objective of gun control laws is to disarm the Law Abiding
population would be better....but still, Well Said!

That would cover it, since criminals are somewhat unlikely to register their guns. But it did create a lot of jobs for bureaucrats in an area of high unemployment that voted correctly.
Some of the things I would consider is making all drugs legal and taxable, treating addiction as a medical issue rather than a criminal one which would cut down on the drug related crime.
Execute anyone causing a death with a gun while committing another crime.
Mandatory firearms training in school.
Serious fines and jail time for any dealer selling unregistered new hand guns.
Either a major overhaul or elimination of long gun registry.
Anyone not born here that uses a gun to commit a crime instantly deported to where ever they came from.

imcbain

Aug 6, 2009
I think that any "gun control" legislation is just the Feds trying to make it look like they're doing something to counter gang violence. This violence affects the whole country, of course, but has been seen most recently and notably in Toronto and Vancouver.
In the end, the guns help carry out the crimes, but if there was more preventative systems in place, to help stop people from wanting to commit crimes in the first place, then we'd have less of an issue.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think that any "gun control" legislation is just the Feds trying to make it look like they're doing something to counter gang violence. This violence affects the whole country, of course, but has been seen most recently and notably in Toronto and Vancouver.
In the end, the guns help carry out the crimes, but if there was more preventative systems in place, to help stop people from wanting to commit crimes in the first place, then we'd have less of an issue.

This is where treating addictions as a medical problem instead of a criminal one comes in. Treat the addiction and you remove the need for crime. Just don't stop locking up the real criminals at the same time.
I have more of an issue with long gun registry than handguns. There was a lot of money wasted that could have been used for treatment.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That would mean recreating society to be sensible and just. We can't have that. It's just not done.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
That would cover it, since criminals are somewhat unlikely to register their guns. But it did create a lot of jobs for bureaucrats in an area of high unemployment that voted correctly.

Someone has to make the gun. It's not the criminal. Someone has to market the gun, still not the criminal. Someone has to buy the gun, usually it's a dealer or a legal gun owner. Then it get sold again or stolen. But because no one wants the government to know who has guns there isn't any way to close that loop hole.

Some of the things I would consider is making all drugs legal and taxable, treating addiction as a medical issue rather than a criminal one which would cut down on the drug related crime.

How do you figure? If Heroin or whatever drug someone is addicted to legally costs the same or more than it cost when it was illegal you don't remove any of the crime committed to raise the money to buy it.

Execute anyone causing a death with a gun while committing another crime.

There is no capital punishment in Canada. Thinking that this could be a political issue in a campaign would kill one thing, the party promoting it.

Mandatory firearms training in school. Serious fines and jail time for any dealer selling unregistered new hand guns.

While I like the idea of teaching how to use firearms, it goes against the no weapons in school and some parents would not allow their children to be taught to use them. I thought about this a while ago and think that manditory military service after highschool graduation or upon dropping out of school would do just that along with teaching disapline and a few other life skills. Because the person is 18, their parents wouldn't be their legal guardian any more. Combat duty would be reserved for those wishing to continue on after the initial training.

Serious fines and jail time only work when it's enforced.

Either a major overhaul or elimination of long gun registry.

One major hurdle is getting gun owners onside. If they think it's about knowing who has what guns then the parinoia kicks in and they think the government is comin fer the guns. :smile:

I'm not sure how you account for all the guns sold in North America other than some sort of registry.

Anyone not born here that uses a gun to commit a crime instantly deported to where ever they came from.

I would say serve time and then deported but I agree with this whole heartedly.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Should a five year old be allowed to buy a machine gun?
Should a person with dangerous mental illnesses be allowed to buy a gun?
Should a convicted murderer be able to?
Should anyone be allowed to buy a rocket launcher?

If you answer no to any of those questions or any of a multitude of similar ones I can dream up, you think we need gun control.

The question is usually, how much? We can make it extremely difficult for guns to be acquired legitimately by dangerous people (criminals) in Canada, but if it is easy to acquire in the US and they are easily smuggled across the border, what is the point? We need tighter borders or cooperative neighbours and we have neither.

The point of a gun is to kill something. It should never be the same as buying a sandwich.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dealer mark-up is 1000% of street price. Risk is inflation.
Heroin is 4% of the entire opiate drug market in Canada. That is bupkis. The "dealers" who make the most money from opiate abuse are the pharmaceutical companies supplying Oxy Contin, morphine, demerol etc etc etc.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Heroin is 4% of the entire opiate drug market in Canada. That is bupkis. The "dealers" who make the most money from opiate abuse are the pharmaceutical companies supplying Oxy Contin, morphine, demerol etc etc etc.

ONE percocet, at the pharmacist's counter, does not cost the consumer thirty bucks.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
ONE percocet, at the pharmacist's counter, does not cost the consumer thirty bucks.
I guess so man. A 30 day Rx for percoset will run you around $600 per month without any govt program Drs bills the system $150 per visit to fill an Rx like all the others? Total $750 * 30 = $25 leaving the street guy actually making $5.