Ignatieff an unusual threat for Harper?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I've been reading over the months how more and more people are finding Ignatieff too Conservative for the Liberal Party. Could this pose a different threat to the Conservatives than previous Liberal leaders, and perhaps a greater threat? Traditionally, the Liberal Party presented an alternative liberal ideology to counter Conservative ideology. With Ignatieff at the helm, however (recognizing of course that each MP will be different even within the same party), isn't there the difference that he could potentially attract small-c conservatives looking for an alternative conservative party?

Or looking at it that way, could it not in fact benefit the Bloc, Greens and NDP by knocking one party out of the left and giving the right more of a run for its money, not to mentin a splitting of the right ring vote?

Your thoughts on this?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In fact, this makes me wonder, considering that there are even moderate social democrats within his party, of just how stable and united the Liberal Party is. I'm sure with a leader that far to the right, albeit much more charismatic than Harper, and not quite so dogmatic, the social democrats in his party must be biting their tongues right now.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
Ignatieff is a Blue Liberal, there have been many Blue Liberals before, Paul Martin for example.

Often people find little difference between Blue Liberals and Red Tories, but in the end that's what largely appeals to the average Canadian voter.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think Iggy is a bit more moderate than Harpy and I tend to like him a bit more in spite of his condescending air (reminds me of PET a bit), but Isuspect this leadership thing was just a one time stab at the PMO for a personal triumph rather than a benefit to Canadians. IOW, he's self-serving, but isn't that what politic means?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think Iggy is a bit more moderate than Harpy and I tend to like him a bit more in spite of his condescending air (reminds me of PET a bit), but Isuspect this leadership thing was just a one time stab at the PMO for a personal triumph rather than a benefit to Canadians. IOW, he's self-serving, but isn't that what politic means?
I'm not that into Ignatieff and truly feel he will do less than Harper and really for the reasons you state. He is in Canada to see what he can do for himself and not our country. I don't care what he says, you just don't spend over 30 years of your life in a country that you don't care about unless there is no way out and he certainly could have come "home" long ago if he cared to. I am far from interested in any PM that is here just to further his own career. It's not up to Canadians to pretty up his resume. I know all politicians these days are in it for themselves but at least they are Canadians who spend their lives in their country and intend to continue on here even after they leave office. Ignatieff will be packed and ready to leave a couple of months before his time is up. I highly suspect he would never agree to a second term.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009

Iggy surely has presonal interests behind his seeking the PMO, but so does every other party leader. In fact, personal aspiriations are a big part of anybody seeking any job.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yup but if one goes into public service of some sort, the "service" part should also be a big factor.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
And I honestly think the is the service element to it too, the same as any other politican. In fact, thinking that one can do a good job of it is a big part of anybody seeking a job.

In terms of self-interest, I challenge anyone to tell me how Ignatieff is any more so than Harper or Layton.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That'd be a toughie alright. IMO, it is 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other. All we've ever had except for the odd fluke have been culls and I can't see that changing anytime soon..

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Iggy will have a hard time explaining to the liberal public how /why he has been in bed with the yanks. Just what they are condemning Harper for.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Like I said before the Conservative party of Canada has lost the confidence of the people of Canada and it's time for the Liberals to come back and fix the broken system

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Like I said before the Conservative party of Canada has lost the confidence of the people of Canada and it's time for the Liberals to come back and fix the broken system
The Liberals broke it and if they could fix it they would have gone for the election. They know they cannot do more than the Conservatives are doing and they don't have any money. The Conservative Party has not lost as much of the peoples confidence as you seem to think.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Iggy will have a hard time explaining to the liberal public how /why he has been in bed with the yanks. Just what they are condemning Harper for.
That's exactly what I have been saying for a long time.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Historically the Conservatives always took care of their own first so money flowed to Conservative supporters Canadians taxpayers are on the hook for Conservative mis-spending and large deficets

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Quoting Risus

Harper wanted to modernize Canadian politics and bring it inline with American politics so Canada could become a territory of USA