Gays say Alberta’s Bill 44 discriminatory

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/06/02/alberta-human-rights-school-gay-education-law.html

In Alberta parents have been given their human rights back and it’s about time.

Bill 44 has a clause in there that states that when a teacher is going to teach anything to do with sexual orientation or religion, the teacher must send a letter to the parents of the students and the parents now have the legal right according to the human rights act to pull their children out of the class and if the teacher does not send the letter then the teacher risks losing their jobs.

Gays say that this is pure discrimination, which it is not because they are protected by the laws of Canada.

I just hope more provinces will follow this and give full human rights back to parents in all of Canada.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I think the "notice home" should also extend to discussions about drugs.

The schools should be educating our children about facts: how to write, how to read, how to write an essay, how to calculate area, etcetera. When it comes to social issues like sex, religion, and other opinions, I think the family should be the major educator and influence. If I want to educate my child on homosexuality, I should have the right to chose when and how that information is presented. Gay people object to this because it means some children won't think being gay is perfectly normal ... what a shame ... not.

Similarly, drug information should not be in the schools. I have a child in junior high school who knows all about drugs, endorphins, how endorphins make you feel good, and how drugs can give people an endorphin boost. I had no idea this was being presented in the schools until I was being educated by my child. How many children decided, after this stupid lesson, that an endorphin boost would be pretty cool, so maybe they'd like to try some drugs?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think this is generally a good law simply because now parents can remove their kids when some religious zealot starts spouting off.
Ariadne: That is the whole point of drug education. To teach the kids about the effects so they won't experiment with bad drugs. The biggest problem is that often times the so called educational material is not even close to the truth but more like DEA propaganda.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I think this is generally a good law simply because now parents can remove their kids when some religious zealot starts spouting off.
Ariadne: That is the whole point of drug education. To teach the kids about the effects so they won't experiment with bad drugs. The biggest problem is that often times the so called educational material is not even close to the truth but more like DEA propaganda.

Not wanting to venture too far off topic, but what I was told by my son - from what he learned in school - is that several recreational drugs (he knows which ones, but I don't remember) increase endorphins and endorphins make you feel good. If that isn't a good reason to experiment with recreational drugs, I don't know what is. Everyone likes to feel good, so if a teenager is down ... hey ... why not try the artificial endorphin boost.

As for the schools telling my son that it's perfectly normal for him to hold hands with men, kiss them, and have sex with them? I'm not okay with that. I have no objection to people that are gay, but I don't need the schools telling my son that it's normal. There's something different about gay people ... and I don't know what it is ... but what is normal is heterosexual relationships. How many children will try a homosexual tryst because the school said it was normal?

When I was 14, I was visiting my uncle in Amsterdam. As we were walking he suddenly said to me "don't look", but curiosity got the better of me. It was two men wearing tight, fluorescent coloured clothing and fm pumps, swinging their purses. I thought they were part of the circus, and it wasn't until much later that I put 2 and 2 together. Schools don't need to educate children about things like that.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Not wanting to venture too far off topic, but what I was told by my son - from what he learned in school - is that several recreational drugs (he knows which ones, but I don't remember) increase endorphins and endorphins make you feel good. If that isn't a good reason to experiment with recreational drugs, I don't know what is. Everyone likes to feel good, so if a teenager is down ... hey ... why not try the artificial endorphin boost.

That's what drugs do. So what you are saying is that you don't want your son to get factual information form the school. That way, he can rely on his buddy's for all the information. I'm sure they''ll tell him about all the down sides to drug use.

YouTube - Best bits of Mr. Mackey

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
That's what drugs do. So what you are saying is that you don't want your son to get factual information form the school. That way, he can rely on his buddy's for all the information. I'm sure they''ll tell him about all the down sides to drug use.

Actually, drugs don't make people feel good, they make people oblivious to their surroundings, incoherent, illogical, irrational, unmotivated, and prone to incorrect perceptions. That is factual information. Many drugs are highly addictive, and most lead to serious health issues, such as meth face.

I would prefer to educate my son ... no need for peer or school based education about drugs. In fact, since the school opened the discussion, I have had to spell out the downside of drugs ... endorphins yes, but serious problems come with that short burst of "feel good". I have not suggested that the alternative to learning in school is learning on the street, I actually suggested learning at home rather than in the school. Similarly, I am quite capable of educating my children about religion, sexuality, and whether homosexuality is normal or an exception to normal.

ETA: my son enjoys Southpark too ...

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
It's too bad you didn't get a little drug education at school. I'm sure you don't realize it but you are proving the need for drug education in schools.

Really? What incorrect perceptions do you believe I have about illegal drug use?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Guess that makes this thread a free for all ... which appears to be the case anyway.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Really? What incorrect perceptions do you believe I have about illegal drug use?

Try reading my posts
Actually, drugs don't make people feel good..

Of course they make kids feel good. That's the reason they take them. Granted, many drugs will have you feeling bad in the long term but kids aren't likely to accept the invitation to try drugs from some crack wh ore lying in a gutter. You have an overly simplistic view of drugs and I'm glad your kid is getting some information from a more informed source.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Try reading my posts
Of course they make kids feel good. That's the reason they take them. Granted, many drugs will have you feeling bad in the long term but kids aren't likely to accept the invitation to try drugs from some crack wh ore lying in a gutter. You have an overly simplistic view of drugs and I'm glad your kid is getting some information from a more informed source.

That's debatable. Drugs make people feel different. Reasons for taking them range from peer pressure, wanting to escape personal problems, curiosity ... somehow "feel good" doesn't strike me as being at the top of the list.

Also ... no need to digress into personal remarks. You have no idea what I know or don't know about illegal drugs, nor what information I present to those who want to be educated about drug use. Indeed, you are incorrect in assuming that I have an overly simplistic view of drugs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
While I may disagree about the reasons Ariadne, I agree wholeheartedly that the concrete stuff should be taught, but parents should have some room to exercise their own beliefs around the social interpretations that their children are being fed by teachers.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Does the same hold true for homosexuality? Should students be introduced to the ideas at school, and then leave it to parents to clean up the details?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Does the same hold true for homosexuality? Should students be introduced to the ideas at school, and then leave it to parents to clean up the details?

Homosexuality is not normal but it is natural. I doubt very much that it is taught as normal, but just about every mammalian species engages is homosexual acts depending on environmental and other factors like over crowding.

From what you have posted so far, you know nothing of drug use, except perhaps coffee cigarettes and alcohol. The police are the last ones to be teaching about drugs in schools as they are feeding the kids propaganda and rarely any facts.

And there are no facts concerning religion, only opinions.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Any law, anywhere, anytime that does not give carte blanche to gays is discriminatory.

I'm way past being tolerant of everything in order to appear "politically correct". Everyone has become so politically correct that we don't even have any values anymore. Some want to walk around with a knife in their belts ... and we're so supposed to sit back, and say it's okay because they claim their religion requires them to carry a knife? Someone is severely mentally retarded - maybe autistic, and we're suppose to say they are mentally challenged? I'm mentally challenged on Monday morning, but it ain't the same. Two guys want to rub their bodies all over each other and we're supposed to say it's normal? I say BS. It ain't normal, and I don't want anyone telling my children it's normal, and I say take it to the bedroom and quit sticking it in everyone's face. What next, are heterosexual couples going to be telling school children all about their bedroom adventures? What hasn't been brought into mainstream school room discussions ... and how long until teachers (in their infinite stupidity) decide that it is their responsibility to educate children about everything. Wait a minute, has that already happened?

I think statistics about the number of teachers that have never had children should be made public. I think society has the right to know that a disproportionate number of childless adults think it's their right to educate other people's children, even though they have no experience whatsoever. Let teachers take it back to what they were trained to do, and let parents educate their children on morals and ethics.