First Nations, Stone aged or Leaders in Democracy?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's been touted as the precursor to the American Constitution, the Oldest Living Democracy and the first form of Government on North American soil.

It the Six Nations or as we prefer, the Haudenosaunee, Constitution.

The Six Nations: Oldest Living Participatory Democracy on Earth

It has been inferred, that the First Nations were just this side of the "Stone age" when the Europeans arrived. Though one could argue that the stone implements of our day to day lives were a far cry from the technology of the European explorers, it could be even easier to say, that many Nations had surpassed the Europeans in forethought, freedom and democracy.

Though technology is a monumental achievement in the forward movement of mans dominion over his environment. It has recently been shown that one can live within the environment and be better off for it. Compounded by the ability to be equals across the board, and you have a society at peace within and outside. Subjectively speaking of course.

The Haudenosaunee Constitution was an achievement in peace that had eluded the Europeans and still does to this day. Though it is true that the Five Nations were in competition with other Nations for food and territory. The ability to bond in such a manner is still without a doubt an monumental accomplishment.

I'm not a subscriber to the romanticized version of the Native people prior to the European conquest of North America. But given the ability of governance, I feel it safe to say, that had the people found here, been given the opportunity to advance on their own, we would have.

I won't be so bold or arrogant as to say we would have done a better job. But at least we had democracy at our forefront. A tool so beloved and admired today.

So I ask, were we really so stone aged?

(There ya go Cannuck, have at'er, lol)

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
i wouldnt think so, in some feilds yes and in some others no... The Natives of North America werent peace loving people, ive read in books and have been told by natives themselves that war was a very part of there pre-european history... The natives had slaves, but they were more or less people conquered through war... But the organization and communication between the tribes were amazing.. For example whole tribes from enitre regoins meeting and trading at White sucker, and slamon runs would have required alot of planning...

I wouldnt call them backwards people either, they may have not had the most quality gear but the old saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it, lol..

And i believe that the natives had some form of Human Anatomy studied, South American cultures showed that some natives did surgerys.. And from all the out door herb books ive read, one can pretty well assume that whether through trial and error or another way natives of north america had an idea of human anatomy, and an idea of how to cure various ailments...

The natives were good warriors, and one of the main reasons why they lost the american indian war was because the US army shot all the animals they use for food...

Where the natives backwards people, not in my opinion

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
This is one of the aspects that the Native Americans have my respect.
When they did go to war they didn't wipe out a whole tribe , they took the little ones as their own. I have yet to hear of any culture to do that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
i wouldnt think so, in some feilds yes and in some others no... The Natives of North America werent peace loving people, ive read in books and have been told by natives themselves that war was a very part of there pre-european history... The natives had slaves, but they were more or less people conquered through war... But the organization and communication between the tribes were amazing.. For example whole tribes from enitre regoins meeting and trading at White sucker, and slamon runs would have required alot of planning...

I wouldnt call them backwards people either, they may have not had the most quality gear but the old saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it, lol..

And i believe that the natives had some form of Human Anatomy studied, South American cultures showed that some natives did surgerys.. And from all the out door herb books ive read, one can pretty well assume that whether through trial and error or another way natives of north america had an idea of human anatomy, and an idea of how to cure various ailments...

The natives were good warriors, and one of the main reasons why they lost the american indian war was because the US army shot all the animals they use for food...

T.B. didn't do them a lot of good either.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Actually Bear, in some respects they were both.

The estimated dating of the confedaration from the mid 1140s (from your link) is about 70 years before the Magna Carta was written in England. Thats a long time (1500 years or so) after the Roman and Athenian Republics were founded (and there were thought to be some democracies prior to them as well). So no, they weren't the first, but there may definately be some meat to claims on being one of the longest running participatory democracies, and the attitude towards women seems in some senses far advanced over most of Western Europe.

The other thing is when you say "First Nations" are you just referring to the Iroquois in this case or including other groups? Peoples like the Mayans, Incans and Aztec? Not all of these groups were democratic, and some were highly advanced in different areas as well, like engineering and architecture. On the other hand ones like the Blackfeet were aggressive, hostile and almost backwards in their natures, viewing most of their neighbours (such as the Crow for example) as "shadow people" to be taken advantage of as they saw fit, and used primarily as targets for war to keep the skill of their warriors up and provide slaves (in a lot ways reminiscent of the attitude my Germanic forbearers had towards the Slavs in the late middle ages).

"European" technology was more advanced but in large part I think that was also because it wasn't as isolated: there were interactions between the Europeans, Africa, and Asia and ideas were exchanged as well as commerce (and wars). I don't think the "native" North American cultures would have "caught up" just because of that fact alone. Its like having one lab researching something compared to 3 or 4: that lone lab isn't going to be able to compete (unless its as large as the rest put together).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
[quoting CDNBear

I don't think "Stone Age" describes the first nations as they were found by Europeans arriving in North America. "Stone Age", in my mind brings up a picture of a bunch of people with low foreheads grunting in a cave. That was not the first nations.
If we look at what they wanted most from the Europeans, it was Guns, wool blankets, steel tools, cooking utensils, and stuff like flour and sugar, which they adapted to almost instantly. The native Americans were five hundred years or more behind the Europeans in technology and other things like written language, literature and so on, but not "stone aged".

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It's been touted as the precursor to the American Constitution, the Oldest Living Democracy and the first form of Government on North American soil.

It the Six Nations or as we prefer, the Haudenosaunee, Constitution.

The Six Nations: Oldest Living Participatory Democracy on Earth

It has been inferred, that the First Nations were just this side of the "Stone age" when the Europeans arrived. Though one could argue that the stone implements of our day to day lives were a far cry from the technology of the European explorers, it could be even easier to say, that many Nations had surpassed the Europeans in forethought, freedom and democracy.

Though technology is a monumental achievement in the forward movement of mans dominion over his environment. It has recently been shown that one can live within the environment and be better off for it. Compounded by the ability to be equals across the board, and you have a society at peace within and outside. Subjectively speaking of course.

The Haudenosaunee Constitution was an achievement in peace that had eluded the Europeans and still does to this day. Though it is true that the Five Nations were in competition with other Nations for food and territory. The ability to bond in such a manner is still without a doubt an monumental accomplishment.

I'm not a subscriber to the romanticized version of the Native people prior to the European conquest of North America. But given the ability of governance, I feel it safe to say, that had the people found here, been given the opportunity to advance on their own, we would have.

I won't be so bold or arrogant as to say we would have done a better job. But at least we had democracy at our forefront. A tool so beloved and admired today.

(There ya go Cannuck, have at'er, lol)
lol
Um, I agree for the most part, but not with "Though technology is a monumental achievement in the forward movement of mans dominion over his environment." It isn't forward. It is sideways, backwards, and only sometimes forward. For instance, we developed stuff that enable us to live in huge masses of groups, yet in our "forward" thinking ways, where we plunked those massive groups of living quarters (and their appendages like stores, offices, etc.) is right on land that fed us and then we proceeded to explode in poulation (which needs more food) and hence needed more space to put people. Now THAT's freakin backwards.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Only some natives were warriors; some were fishers, some were hunters, some were farmers, etc. Most would fight if necessary, but only when necessary.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
It is hard to be sure of what native culture, or systems of rule were like without a written history, much is left to the guesswork of anthropologists. Even so, is democracy a good thing? Maybe in a limited form, but it is said to have lead to the downfall of the Roman Empire. I'm not the only one who thinks democracy isn't the best form of government:

YouTube - Democracy vs. Republic: Most aren't taught the difference...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'd much prefer something like what the Swiss have; a democratic republic. As I have mentioned before, it is the PEOPLE there that have the final say on things, not politicians and they exercise their power more than just once in 4 or 5 years, too, unlike our system.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I'd much prefer something like what the Swiss have; a democratic republic. As I have mentioned before, it is the PEOPLE there that have the final say on things, not politicians and they exercise their power more than just once in 4 or 5 years, too, unlike our system.
yeah but are we too lazy for such a system?
We can even muster up a decent showing for an election.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
There's a reason or two for people to stay away from elections: the biggest one is that we feel that we don't have much say. Well, people in Switzerland do have a say. I bet if we developed something similar, people would pipe up. It'd have to be different because Canada is much larger and have a more diverse population. Many cantons in each section of Canada (prairies, maritimes, etc), for instance, might work.
But, we won't have anything resembling sensible because the powers that be won't let it happen. It'd not be just an uphill battle; it'd be like rock climbing with a lot of weight attached to us.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
There's a reason or two for people to stay away from elections: the biggest one is that we feel that we don't have much say. Well, people in Switzerland do have a say. I bet if we developed something similar, people would pipe up. It'd have to be different because Canada is much larger and have a more diverse population. Many cantons in each section of Canada (prairies, maritimes, etc), for instance, might work.
But, we won't have anything resembling sensible because the powers that be won't let it happen. It'd not be just an uphill battle; it'd be like rock climbing with a lot of weight attached to us.
so we would have to stop voting for the three or four parties we have and start looking at the smaller ones .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Blackfeet were from Quebec originally and were displaced by settler encroachment in their territory. They spent nearly two hundred years fighting their way across the prairies, being pushed and harasser by the Cree for the most part. When they arrived at the Rockies, they displaced the Kutenai (Ktunaxa) over the Rockies to present day Creston area in the East Kootenays.

Most of the blood shed between tribes recorded in "White" history were the result of settler displacement and conquest. It was European interference and disease that created "savages" out of otherwise agrarian societies.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon

Well first off, the very question asks us to define aboriginal peoples using the white man's definitions and categories.
Right off the bat I have some possible issues with that.

But to answer the question: yes, no and maybe so.

Neolithic culture is roughly defined as stone aged.
Tools were made of stone, bone and wood.
The Copper or Bronze ages had not made their appearance in America prior to the white men from Europe turning up.

European stone age peoples (neolithic cultures) were influenced by Mediterranean and North African cultures which introduced agriculture and metallurgy. Thus they moved out of the stone age.

It does not appear that this happened with the indigenous peoples of America prior to the appearance of the white men.
No written languages.
No wheel.
No horses.
Limited organizational skills.
Limited agriculture.
No metallurgy (and thus they remained stone age).

But we are learning that these assumptions were and are wrong.
In order for civilizations to advance it is thought they need spare time.
This allows the people time to think and communally "brainstorm" ideas and thus invent things and develop as societies.

American native peoples had in fact already developed all the necessary ideas and skills to move out of the stone age and by definition some tribes and groups probably were on the cusp of rapidly advancing out of neolithic times.

We now know agricultural societies were common in some areas.
Pottery was also common in some places which indicates a stable community.
Irrigation systems had been invented.
Metallurgy is debatable but new finds in Ontario and the NE United States indicate copper working and possible smelting for bronze.
Mayan societies had a written language and extensive organizational and governance skills.
The Caddo peoples of the NE in North America had large villages (cities?) combined with huge agricultural operations.
The carvings of the peoples of the Pacific Northwest convey ideas and beliefs and thus probably should be considered a proto written language.
Art had been invented.
Trade was extensive and so the concepts of banking ,loans and interest may have been invented and understood.
And so on and so forth.

Thus the classification "Stone Age" starts to get a bit iffy.

The native peoples of America were a few thousand years behind the Europeans in technological development that is a fact.
But who said it was a race?
And who defines the rules of the race?
Are we racing towards ever increasing pollution?
Environmental damages?
Overcrowding?
Ever more organized crime?

As to original Native American styles and types of goverenance I cant really speak to that issue.
Us white folks never really gave it a try so it's impossible to know if it would be an improvment or not.
For the white guys that is.

Trex

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Technically speaking, yup..pretty much.
Only if you erroneously use the broadest sense of the term. We find in modern science, that the term may be applied only to those people of the Paleolithic era.

The problem with this term is that it applies to advancement by achieving the ability of metal working. So yes, First Nations may have used stone implements, but when metal was found on the surface or VG (visible gold) was found, it was used as ornamentation. Thus placing them outside this label, rudimentary, but outside none the less.

The application of this label is further proven erroneous by the very fact that it was a term coined to describe the archeological cultures of Europe, and not the Americas. Metal work was not a serious feature, nor was it a necessity in the advancement of the First Nations.

So technically speaking, and not, your position is still wrong...;-)

Actually Bear, in some respects they were both.

The estimated dating of the confedaration from the mid 1140s (from your link) is about 70 years before the Magna Carta was written in England. Thats a long time (1500 years or so) after the Roman and Athenian Republics were founded (and there were thought to be some democracies prior to them as well). So no, they weren't the first, but there may definately be some meat to claims on being one of the longest running participatory democracies, and the attitude towards women seems in some senses far advanced over most of Western Europe.
My error, I sould have qualified the first in North America, and the longest runing, my apologies.

As to our placement of women in society. It was, was being the key word, a matriachal sociey. In some cases it still was during my youth. My Grand father may have been the King of his castle, but the Queen, my Grand Mother, definitely ruled the roost, lol.

The other thing is when you say "First Nations" are you just referring to the Iroquois in this case or including other groups?
For the most part. I' Onondaga and therefore my history is what I am most knowledgable in.

Peoples like the Mayans, Incans and Aztec? Not all of these groups were democratic, and some were highly advanced in different areas as well, like engineering and architecture. On the other hand ones like the Blackfeet were aggressive, hostile and almost backwards in their natures, viewing most of their neighbours (such as the Crow for example) as "shadow people" to be taken advantage of as they saw fit, and used primarily as targets for war to keep the skill of their warriors up and provide slaves (in a lot ways reminiscent of the attitude my Germanic forbearers had towards the Slavs in the late middle ages).
Though you are correct, it is in the definition of 'war' that one would need to dig to find the a better perspective. For 'war' as the Europeans knew it was conquest, whereas in the Nations, Counting Coup, was also war. It was the preferred method of gaining status as a Warrior, and a commen method of determining the victor. Counting Coup, was not always violent, nor deadly. It could simply be as benign as infeltarting another Nations encampment and taking a Warriors feather, or other item as proof.
"European" technology was more advanced but in large part I think that was also because it wasn't as isolated: there were interactions between the Europeans, Africa, and Asia and ideas were exchanged as well as commerce (and wars). I don't think the "native" North American cultures would have "caught up" just because of that fact alone. Its like having one lab researching something compared to 3 or 4: that lone lab isn't going to be able to compete (unless its as large as the rest put together).
I tend to think that human nature drives man to advance. But that is merely an opinion. I could be right or wrong. As a people, many First Nations, minus the Noble Savage image, were able to master their environment. That in no way means they would have caught up I guess, they would have had to have some influence from the outside to do as you exampled. But given the time, they would have evolved technically, I think.

[quoting CDNBear

I don't think "Stone Age" describes the first nations as they were found by Europeans arriving in North America. "Stone Age", in my mind brings up a picture of a bunch of people with low foreheads grunting in a cave. That was not the first nations.
SCB says you've never been to one of my family reunions, lol...;-)

If we look at what they wanted most from the Europeans, it was Guns, wool blankets, steel tools, cooking utensils, and stuff like flour and sugar, which they adapted to almost instantly. The native Americans were five hundred years or more behind the Europeans in technology and other things like written language, literature and so on, but not "stone aged".
I agree.

lol
Um, I agree for the most part, but not with "Though technology is a monumental achievement in the forward movement of mans dominion over his environment." It isn't forward. It is sideways, backwards, and only sometimes forward. For instance, we developed stuff that enable us to live in huge masses of groups, yet in our "forward" thinking ways, where we plunked those massive groups of living quarters (and their appendages like stores, offices, etc.) is right on land that fed us and then we proceeded to explode in poulation (which needs more food) and hence needed more space to put people. Now THAT's freakin backwards.
Now that you mention it, I agree. I oft consider the thought behind rezoning agro land for housing developements as I watch land slowly gobbled up to house the masses.

Only some natives were warriors; some were fishers, some were hunters, some were farmers, etc. Most would fight if necessary, but only when necessary.
This is true, but most men were expected to be Warriors.

You've mentioned this in the past, I still agree.

The Blackfeet were from Quebec originally and were displaced by settler encroachment in their territory. They spent nearly two hundred years fighting their way across the prairies, being pushed and harasser by the Cree for the most part. When they arrived at the Rockies, they displaced the Kutenai (Ktunaxa) over the Rockies to present day Creston area in the East Kootenays.

Most of the blood shed between tribes recorded in "White" history were the result of settler displacement and conquest. It was European interference and disease that created "savages" out of otherwise agrarian societies.
Something to which I wish I could agree. In the case you sighted, you may be correct, but there are instances where war was made simply over land and hunting, long before European incroachment.

Well first off, the very question asks us to define aboriginal peoples using the white man's definitions and categories.
Right off the bat I have some possible issues with that.

But to answer the question: yes, no and maybe so.

Neolithic culture is roughly defined as stone aged.
Tools were made of stone, bone and wood.
The Copper or Bronze ages had not made their appearance in America prior to the white men from Europe turning up.

European stone age peoples (neolithic cultures) were influenced by Mediterranean and North African cultures which introduced agriculture and metallurgy. Thus they moved out of the stone age.
Not that I have an education in archeology, but I thought that the stone age was Paleolithic? In some cases considered the Upper Paleolithic era.

It does not appear that this happened with the indigenous peoples of America prior to the appearance of the white men.
No written languages.
No wheel.
No horses.
Limited organizational skills.
Limited agriculture.
No metallurgy (and thus they remained stone age).

But we are learning that these assumptions were and are wrong.
In order for civilizations to advance it is thought they need spare time.
This allows the people time to think and communally "brainstorm" ideas and thus invent things and develop as societies.

American native peoples had in fact already developed all the necessary ideas and skills to move out of the stone age and by definition some tribes and groups probably were on the cusp of rapidly advancing out of neolithic times.

We now know agricultural societies were common in some areas.
Pottery was also common in some places which indicates a stable community.
Irrigation systems had been invented.
Metallurgy is debatable but new finds in Ontario and the NE United States indicate copper working and possible smelting for bronze.
Mayan societies had a written language and extensive organizational and governance skills.
The Caddo peoples of the NE in North America had large villages (cities?) combined with huge agricultural operations.
The carvings of the peoples of the Pacific Northwest convey ideas and beliefs and thus probably should be considered a proto written language.
Art had been invented.
Trade was extensive and so the concepts of banking ,loans and interest may have been invented and understood.
And so on and so forth.

Thus the classification "Stone Age" starts to get a bit iffy.

The native peoples of America were a few thousand years behind the Europeans in technological development that is a fact.
But who said it was a race?
And who defines the rules of the race?
Are we racing towards ever increasing pollution?
Environmental damages?
Overcrowding?
Ever more organized crime?

As to original Native American styles and types of goverenance I cant really speak to that issue.
Us white folks never really gave it a try so it's impossible to know if it would be an improvment or not.
For the white guys that is.

Trex
Awesome post Trex, thanx.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Only if you erroneously use the broadest sense of the term. We find in modern science, that the term may be applied only to those people of the Paleolithic era.

The problem with this term is that it applies to advancement by achieving the ability of metal working. So yes, First Nations may have used stone implements, but when metal was found on the surface or VG (visible gold) was found, it was used as ornamentation. Thus placing them outside this label, rudimentary, but outside none the less.

The application of this label is further proven erroneous by the very fact that it was a term coined to describe the archeological cultures of Europe, and not the Americas. Metal work was not a serious feature, nor was it a necessity in the advancement of the First Nations.

So technically speaking, and not, your position is still wrong...;-)

You are nitpicking. I stand by my original comment. Really though, what does it matter? I don't care what level of technology or social structure was achieved by the aboriginal people (other than in the interest of history) 50, 500 or 5000 years ago. I'm not one to look backwards.