50B deficit should satisfy opposition

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The separatist coalition was started because the feds weren't spending enough during the recession. I suspect the opposition is now up in arms about fed spending.

Would the coalition have spent less? Made more?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I enjoy the political whining about the size of the deficit...it's 'only' 3% of GDP, though, so complaining about the sheer size of it without comparing it to GDP is like comparing your mortgage to your parents', without comparing incomes.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I would have preferred that the NDP was in power and spent 50 billion on bicycle paths and rooftop gardens.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I enjoy the political whining about the size of the deficit...

$1500 + interest atop the previous $15,000+ per person interest over several decades out of my and your pockets isn't exacly whinning.

You've got some serious math to do in relations to compounding and inflation. 3% turns into 32% in 7 years.

If you like someone spending your money send me your what you make each month and I'll take care of everything. Don't worry. You'll be fine.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I enjoy the political whining about the size of the deficit...it's 'only' 3% of GDP, though, so complaining about the sheer size of it without comparing it to GDP is like comparing your mortgage to your parents', without comparing incomes.

The deficit might be 3% of GDP, but what of the 13 billion dollar surplus that the Liberal left? That surplus has to be added in to the mess somewhere.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Harper and Flaherty have been lying about the size of the deficit since November.

100 M surplus in November (if you count 10 B in asset sales and $5 billion in undisclosed cuts - so really, a $15B deficit - before any stimulus spending)

Then $34 B deficit - not counting "loans" to the car companies...

Now $50 B deficit - still not counting "future loans" to the car companies.

Completely incompetent - but somehow supposed "conservatives" still support them. This crew is anything but.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My point is, 3% of GDP is not that bad of a deficit, if it's only for a year or two.

Except that Canada already had a debt of 500 odd billion dollars. The interest on that debt is much more than 3 percent of GDP and your grandchildren and their children will still be paying for it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You say that like any other party wouldn't be doing the same thing, if they were in power. And the conservatives would be ranting in opposition, too.

No matter who is on the gov't side, it wouldn't make any difference to what is happening right now.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
You say that like any other party wouldn't be doing the same thing, if they were in power. And the conservatives would be ranting in opposition, too.

No matter who is on the gov't side, it wouldn't make any difference to what is happening right now.

You're right. We should accept it and just keep voting the same incompetent bozos back in office.

Again.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
From the pre-election phony Conservative promises, no deficits a short time ego to $50 Billion today, soon the Conservative cash register will show that Canadians will be further in debt by $100 Billion in the next 5 years, don’t think I am joking. If that is competent FISCAL MANAGEMENT, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There weren't deficits until the separatist coalition wanted to take over the country and create deficits themselves. They wanted to spend like drunken sailors and forced the fed hand to do the same.

What's the problem? This is what everyone wanted.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There weren't deficits until the separatist coalition wanted to take over the country and create deficits themselves. They wanted to spend like drunken sailors and forced the fed hand to do the same.

What's the problem? This is what everyone wanted.

There was never any separatist coalition. The NDP and the Liberals were receiving support from the Bloc, but the Bloc never had any control. The whole shmozzle started when Harper tried to break the other parties by removing their funding. What the coalition did was perfectly legal and above board.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
From the pre-election phony Conservative promises, no deficits a short time ego to $50 Billion today, soon the Conservative cash register will show that Canadians will be further in debt by $100 Billion in the next 5 years, don’t think I am joking. If that is competent FISCAL MANAGEMENT, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POLITICS period is phony- Lets just suppose Harper did what he had to do to cut the deficit to $25 billion- what do you think would be happening? Health costs would be slashed, education would be slashed, justice would be slashed, security measures would be slashed and the Liberals and N.D.P. would be screaming like banshees. How many of us REALLY want to lose services? Kids can't even function in school without computers (actually the teachers and principals can't either)

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
POLITICS period is phony- Lets just suppose Harper did what he had to do to cut the deficit to $25 billion- what do you think would be happening? Health costs would be slashed, education would be slashed, justice would be slashed, security measures would be slashed and the Liberals and N.D.P. would be screaming like banshees. How many of us REALLY want to lose services? Kids can't even function in school without computers (actually the teachers and principals can't either)

The problem today JLM is that this Conservative Government is operating as if they are the only ones who understand economics. Government should run like a business and not like a promissory phony post dated cheque. A Government should have ideas on how to create new economic growth, lack of ideas to create new economic growth will always result in massive deficits as we see here before us today in Canada, no ideas no profit thus we have to borrow. Very bad for Canada.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There was never any separatist coalition. The NDP and the Liberals were receiving support from the Bloc, but the Bloc never had any control. The whole shmozzle started when Harper tried to break the other parties by removing their funding. What the coalition did was perfectly legal and above board.
No question about legality, but they would've driven the deficit 3 times higher than what it is. The BLOC wouldn't support the LIBS/NDP without backroom $$ deals. Besides, the lack of fed spending during the downturn was their official reason they claimed to be forming a government. They promised to spend more.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah it's one of those things you know. Like the mother of the kid who just threw a hammer through the windshield of your sports car. It's partly the cars fault for being there, the hammers fault for being so hard on windshields and of course it's your fault for parking your car in your locked garage near the stupid hammers anyway. You can't really blame the boy because boys will be boys and what with that damn school teaching him crap, and anyway, cars suck. Their bad for the environment. Plus, you suck! Now what are people going to do about these terrorists and the senate reform and and and ABORTION!!!

what economy?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To pay for this outrageous deficit the AECL is going up for sale. Typical Cons. Go into deficit and start the fire sale.