Canada's Worst Serial Killers

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
All of the serial killers in Canada who are alive and incarcerated are costing us big money to keep them out of the general prison population. I have read that keeping Olsen alive is costing us around $150,000.00 per year. Couldn't this money be better spent elsewhere?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't think you can classify Marc Lepine as a serial killer, more as a mass or multiple killer.

Serial killer implies many deaths, over some time, not all at one event.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As near as I can tell, these top ten killers killed a total of 98 times. Picton is the record holder at 49.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't think you can classify Marc Lepine as a serial killer, more as a mass or multiple killer.

Serial killer implies many deaths, over some time, not all at one event.

He was included in that list of serial killers but I see your point.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It costs more to execute than it does to incarcerate. I always wondered why that was but never bothered to look it up. It costs more to keep a felon on death row for one thing and the legal costs are un-believeable. Obviously, the longer a felon stays on death row and the more times he gets to go to court, the more money it costs the government. I guess the answer is to prove conclusively via DNA that they are guilty and then immediately execute. People in the USA spend as much time on death row as inmates in Canada do for a life sentence. No wonder the cost is considerably higher. Government needs to have a set fee for defending violent crimes so that lawyers cannot continue to go to court and continue to get offenders off due to a technicality. Speedy action regarding the death penalty would obviously be a deterrent.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The difference between Lapine and a real serial killer is well established in criminology. Mass Murders are almost always done in the context of a suicide, and bear little resemblance to the cool, methodical modus of a serial killer, whose goal is self gratification, usually in sexual and power lust, but sometimes for money or some psychic satisfaction.

But they've left out the biggest Serial Killer of them all here...

1. Henry Morgentaler, M.D., O.C.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
It costs more to execute than it does to incarcerate. I always wondered why that was but never bothered to look it up. It costs more to keep a felon on death row for one thing and the legal costs are un-believeable. Obviously, the longer a felon stays on death row and the more times he gets to go to court, the more money it costs the government. I guess the answer is to prove conclusively via DNA that they are guilty and then immediately execute. People in the USA spend as much time on death row as inmates in Canada do for a life sentence. No wonder the cost is considerably higher. Government needs to have a set fee for defending violent crimes so that lawyers cannot continue to go to court and continue to get offenders off due to a technicality. Speedy action regarding the death penalty would obviously be a deterrent.

You da man, Van !!!

Out the back door, bullet in the head. Appeal that.................:angry3:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and I imagine that when it is proven that the wrong person was murdered by the state, that you will be first in line to get a cap in the head for fully supporting the murder of an innocent.