More Dumb Political Ideas

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
CTV.ca | Alberta may force criminals to pay health-care costs

"Health Minister Ron Liepert introduced Bill 48 that, if passed, would allow the province to recoup health-care costs associated with crimes ranging from convenience store robberies to gang shootings to drunk driving."

Two problems with this as I see it. First, the chances of a guy involved in a convenience store robbery having any money to go after is zero. Secondly, If a guy does have money, I'd rather see it go to the victim than to the government.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Universal Health Care increasingly is becoming a hammer used by the government to mold the population as they see fit.....

We need helmet laws......why? Because we pay for the medical costs if you injure yourself, therefore you lose your free choice.

Worse: We need gun laws.....why? Because we pay for the medical costs of those injured with guns, therefore you lose your ancient rights.

You get my drift.

I am a strong believer (and a beneficiary) of socialized medicine.........but, given the choice, I'll take liberty.

we need to remove the strings......

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I can just picture the looser in court. "Yes your honor, I promise to pay the medical costs of the victim just as soon as I get out of here and rob a bank."
Just another stupid law dreamed up by an under worked government employee pretending to be busy. What we need is to get rid of this nanny state mentality that has taken over the governments.

Reactions: bobnoorduyn

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Universal Health Care increasingly is becoming a hammer used by the government to mold the population as they see fit.....

We need helmet laws......why? Because we pay for the medical costs if you injure yourself, therefore you lose your free choice.

Doesn't the US have helmet and seat belt laws too? Last I checked they don't have "socialized" medicine...

Aside from that, I get your point, but I think there are more effective ways to lessen the cost of "socialized medicine" without passing laws (ala tax credits/refunds) or even "socialized" health insurance, and the insurance company could peg rates based on age, health, weight, etc... However, that would require having a rational discussion about a topic that people become very irrational about quickly.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
To add to the dumb laws, Courtnay B.C. has now amended their bylaw re. panhandling. They can now fine panhandlers $100.00. Now panhandlers must sit outside the courthouse asking for spare change to pay their fine.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
To add to the dumb laws, Courtnay B.C. has now amended their bylaw re. panhandling. They can now fine panhandlers $100.00. Now panhandlers must sit outside the courthouse asking for spare change to pay their fine.
Panhandling is against the law here too. Panhandlers can make a lot of money in the day. Lots of them go home to nice cozy homes at night - even in Courtenay. I don't like Courtenay in particular but it is a pretty little city with a fair amount of tourists so I can see them not wanting panhandlers around. It may sound stupid to say they will fine them $100.00 but I bet you that most of them make at least that daily. We had a fellow in Vernon that simply sat on his butt with his hat over his eyes, outside the Royal Bank (big cup beside him) and until people got thoroughly sick of him being there, he did well. He knew how to dress well and look decent and he knew how to hand out compliments. Once people became familiar with him, his temper started to show and the news started to print articles. I don't think he's on that corner anymore. I realize that not all panhandlers go home to nice houses but there are other things they can do.