What are your 'fringe' political ideas?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
With all the discussions going on in these forums lately about 'mainstream' and 'fringe' ideas, I was wondering what 'fringe' ideas might be lurking in our minds. I'd like to read about some of your 'fringe' political ideas and why you think they could be considered 'fringe'.

First I'll go with some of mine, mainly in the field of language policy:

1. Giving each public school the freedom to teach the second-language of its choice, based on the British model, whereby if a course plan is not available for the second-language the school wishes to teach, it can create its own course-plan to then be approved by the Local Education Authority if it meets the required educational standards.

In BC and Alberta, this would likely not be viewed as too fringe of an idea, as schools in those provinces can in fact choose from a number of second-languages already and French is not compulsory (in fact, in Alberta both Cree and Blackfoot are on the list of options available). In Quebec, English is compulsory as a second-language, but many Quebecers would support more freedom in that respect too; though a minority view there, it would certainly not be concidered as fringe there either as that minority is still quite large.

In Ontario, however, where French is a compulsory second language, I get the impression that to propose giving schools more freedom in this regard is not only a minority view, but a fringe one challenging the perceived sacredness of Canada's bilingual identity.

2. Proposing that the UN either adopt, create, or revise an international auxiliary language to be taught in schools around the world.

I'm sure many would view this as just plain irrational idealism, even if plenty of research suggests that the world could likely save not billions, but trillions of dollars a year from this. Another idea likely to be considered a fringe one just because it challenges the common-sensical idea that English is the world language already, even if it tends tobe limited to the elites of society and is proving highly inefficient and expensive.

3. Dismantling Canada's Official Bilingualism policy.

This would likely be viewed by some as an attack on the heart of what Canada stands for, and thus could be viewed as fringe. It would likely be interpreted by some as francophobic, racist, bigotted and the likes. My main oppositin to it stems simply from its inefficiency.

Among other 'fringe' ideas of mine include support for a decentralized world federation, world citizenship, a world currency, and a world military.

So what might be some 'fringe' ideas lurking in your minds?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Dump partisan politics into the toilet where it belongs.
Slim gov'ts to more efficient levels.
Promote economies to change to those that consider our effects on our planet.
Allow people to live whatever lifestyle they choose.
There's a couple fringes from me. :)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My "Fringe" political idea is that very-very few people can truly be
called "Fringe" as, if not, they'd be part of a larger group and therefore
part of the Mainstream of whatever society they belong to.8O :lol::lol::lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Dump partisan politics. Scary thing is, that is a fringe idea; the mainstream worships it.

Slim government to more efficient levels. How is that fringe? Have you ever come across anyone oppose making government more efficient?

Promote economies to change to those that consider our effects on our planet. That might be fringe in Alberta, definitely. Or Canuck can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Allow people to live whatever lifestyle they choose. I disagree with such a degree of freedom myself, but I don't see how it's fringe; gay marriage has been made legal already. Though I can see how it might be fringe for some ideas. Heck, being free to put a big English sign out of your restaurant window in Quebec City would likely raise the wrath of manya local.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Now that's logical.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Now that's logical.

It's amazing how seldom that works into political debates though...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Dump partisan politics. Scary thing is, that is a fringe idea; the mainstream worships it.
Yeah, I know. It gets quite vicious at times.

Slim government to more efficient levels. How is that fringe? Have you ever come across anyone oppose making government more efficient?
Gov't people. :) Lots of people talk about it, few try it (Harper did a little bit as did Campbull here in BC).

Promote economies to change to those that consider our effects on our planet. That might be fringe in Alberta, definitely. Or Canuck can correct me if I'm wrong on that.
It's becoming less fringy than it was, but for any serious amount of change to happen, people drag their feet. It'll take a couple decades for people to clue in to running electric-, hydrogen-, hybrid-drive vehicles to where it'd be considered abnormal to be running around in a fossil-fueled vehicle. I wonder if people will ever clue in to how little fresh water there is available.

Allow people to live whatever lifestyle they choose. I disagree with such a degree of freedom myself, but I don't see how it's fringe; gay marriage has been made legal already. Though I can see how it might be fringe for some ideas. Heck, being free to put a big English sign out of your restaurant window in Quebec City would likely raise the wrath of manya local.
If such a lifestyle has no undesirable effect on anyone else's lifestyle, what's the biggie?
Using an English sign in Q City wouldn't impact anyone's lifestyle. Any affectation would only be a perceived one. Same with homosexual rights or any other rights. Eventually things that make sense become less fringy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Same with homosexual rights or any other rights. Eventually things that make sense become less fringy.

I agree with that. Many members of the fringe in history are now taught in our histroy classes as well-respected inovators today, while those who comprised the mainstream in history have long been forgotten, though the spirit of their ilk continues to thrive.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

any work pass 35 hrs/ week no taxes
Transprency and easy access to all documents dealling with where the money goes. Who in government gets paid what.
A limit on corprate money leaving th country to tax havens
Alll inbezlements be seriously jailed , like those dealing with life savings.
Politicians be jailed if they have broken the law.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
El Barto, muy bien!

Definitely require all policy documents to be clearly elaborated, including the policy, the principles behind the policy, its intended objectives, any previous research relating to the policy, reasons for which it's believed to be realizable, etc. I don't know if it's a fringe idea, but I certainly don't hear much talk about it in the mainstream media, that's for sure.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I like the one about pols reaping appropriate rewards for breaking laws.

I'll add another fringe: the CIC be renovated to being of some actual use to Canadians. IE, quit pitching out the people who are honest and hard working and get rid of the undesirables.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

any work pass 35 hrs/ week no taxes
Transprency and easy access to all documents dealling with where the money goes. Who in government gets paid what.
A limit on corprate money leaving th country to tax havens
Alll inbezlements be seriously jailed , like those dealing with life savings.
Politicians be jailed if they have broken the law.

Way too logical.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I like the one about pols reaping appropriate rewards for breaking laws.

I'll add another fringe: the CIC be renovated to being of some actual use to Canadians. IE, quit pitching out the people who are honest and hard working and get rid of the undesirables.

As for politicians being punished for breaking laws, I'd imagine most Canadians would agree with that. Is that really that fringe of an idea? THough granted, like the example of clearly elaborated policies above, though I'm not aware of any opposition to the idea, people do remain quite quiet about it. And when we do psh the issue, they give a polite nodd and then ignore it. I don't know if it's fringe though.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
see logic is a fringe to politicians :cool:

But that's an unacknowledged fringe. They insist that they're logical, and when challenged they have an emotional fit about us being (put pejorative name here). Instead they insist we are illogical for not... you'll love this... following the majority view. According to them, to determine the answer to 1+1 doesn't involve rational thought, but rather a poll to find out what the majority thinks the answer it. The democratization of knowledge. Democracy has its merits, but not in the search for truth.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
But that's an unacknowledged fringe. They insist that they're logical, and when challenged they have an emotional fit about us being (put pejorative name here). Instead they insist we are illogical for not... you'll love this... following the majority view. According to them, to determine the answer to 1+1 doesn't involve rational thought, but rather a poll to find out what the majority thinks the answer it. The democratization of knowledge. Democracy has its merits, but not in the search for truth.
democracy ends right after the ballot is cast ...the rest is something I wouldn't call democracy

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I would like to personally vote for the Prime ministers position, not have it because the majority of a party.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Transparency and accountability in all Gov't.

A Gov't for the people, not the party.

Native leaders that are actually leaders, not con artists.

One people working for the common good.

If someone wants to poke at a sleeping Bear, the Bear has the right to eat the pokee.

That's as fringe as I get.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
One thing I would like to see is probably against the Charter of Rights. I would like to see those convicted of a crime losing the right to vote until their debt to society is paid, meaning no voting until all time/probation/parole is served/completed and all fines are paid in full. It offends me that people who infringe and deny the rights of others have the ability to influence their own fates and that of others in the same fashion as those who respect or at least obey the laws of society.

Not so fringe outside urban Ontario and Quebec: get rid of the long gun registry. The database is redundant alongside the FAC program that was required to purchase or transport firearms before its inception. Redundancy and additional bureaucracy foisted on taxpayers as a result of a kneejerk reaction to the actions of a madman don't benefit society.