Question about EI

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I heard on the news they are going to extend the claims of people on EI right now by 5 weeks. Is this true ive been hearing alot about it, but havent seen it happen yet?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I heard on the news they are going to extend the claims of people on EI right now by 5 weeks. Is this true ive been hearing alot about it, but havent seen it happen yet?
I know this has been aproved for forestry workers but I don't know about anyone else. Best bet is call EI or check their website.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
So i called the ei office and not only do i not qualify for the 5 weeks extension, but the whole Sudbury Region doesnt qualify for it. So says the lady who took my call... The whole region.... dam....

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
ok so the 2nd lady told me i received the 5 week extension bonus when my claim started on January 1 under the new guidelines

So i put 1136 hours in my claim at a 5.9% unemployement rate in sudbury at the time of application. They said normally id get 20 weeks, but they gave me 25 weeks under the new format...

The 1st lady said i was already receiving more EI then people in the other districts, but at 25 weeks i find that really hard to believe...

I told my fellow sudburians not to vote NDP, see what has happened lol

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
The first, last and only time I drew pogey was in 1962, for seven weeks. Then I went back to school, and never needed it again.

I did it, so anyone else could do it.

Is the rate still $26.00 per week?

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
The first, last and only time I drew pogey was in 1962, for seven weeks. Then I went back to school, and never needed it again.

I did it, so anyone else could do it.

Is the rate still $26.00 per week?

no but for some it sure feels like it is.. lol

I have collected 3 times in my life.. 2 times for layoffs and once for medical.. not bad for paying in for 30+ years :)

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
jenn, (incidentally, that is my daughter's name) if everyone from Newfoundland to British Columbia were as conscientious hard workers as you and me,our country would not be in the shape it is in.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
jenn, (incidentally, that is my daughter's name) if everyone from Newfoundland to British Columbia were as conscientious hard workers as you and me,our country would not be in the shape it is in.

Is there something less-than-conscientious in being downsized, or economically foul-upped, or employed in seasonal work, or out-dated? All you are is fortunate.

That can all change in a few heartbeats ... quite literally....

Last edited:

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
Is there something less-than-conscientious in being downsized, or economically foul-upped, or employed in seasonal work, or out-dated? All you are is fortunate.

That can all change in a few heartbeats ... quite literally....

I agree BUT there are other jobs out there..dust your self off.. pick yourself up and get back on the band wagon.. EI should be used as a last resort and only for short term.. I have seen alot of people go from EI to welfare.. they just are not motivated to find a job.. people expect a new job to fall into their laps.. get out there.. sell yourself.. well not literally... lol

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I agree BUT there are other jobs out there..dust your self off.. pick yourself up and get back on the band wagon.. EI should be used as a last resort and only for short term.. I have seen alot of people go from EI to welfare.. they just are not motivated to find a job.. people expect a new job to fall into their laps.. get out there.. sell yourself.. well not literally... lol

Fine and dandy ... IF the work is there. Seems to be something in the news lately about a recession. Sawmills gone belly-up? Mines closing? Auto industry failing? Even Rotten Ronnie isn't selling as many burgers. Funds for EI are there for those in between times and nobody should be shamed to use it. God knows our government would only blow them....

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
Fine and dandy ... IF the work is there. Seems to be something in the news lately about a recession. Sawmills gone belly-up? Mines closing? Auto industry failing? Even Rotten Ronnie isn't selling as many burgers. Funds for EI are there for those in between times and nobody should be shamed to use it. God knows our government would only blow them....

but the work has been there.. yes there is a recession NOW.. and yes there have been a few over the years.. we have not been in a recession for the last 30 years thou.. people are lazier now than they were years ago.. people want the big wages but don't want to have to work for it.. or if they are let go for whatever reason.. they want to start at the top elsewhere.. and I didn't say people shouldn't use EI.. I said people should still try to get work elsewhere and no have to rely on it.. and then complain about the mere pittance they do receive..

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Is there something less-than-conscientious in being downsized, or economically foul-upped, or employed in seasonal work, or out-dated? All you are is fortunate.

That can all change in a few heartbeats ... quite literally...."

lone wolf, when I got on pogey, I was downsized. I was also a twenty year old immigrant with little or limited knowledge of the English language. But I remembered what my father taught me: two things in the world you should avoid: physical labour and sickness. That is why I went back to school as an adult student. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Now that I am 70 years old, I don't dread that heartbeat. Done the best I could for myself, my family and my country.

And never blamed anybody else along the way.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
ive been working people, i just got back from a 2 week job in Manitoba and right now im pretty much on call for the next job. EI is for in between, but that 2 week job is killi my EI right now faster then i can get it :)... And on top of that im going back to school in sept... And forget it, im not considering working at a call center till im in school, lol