Canada in violation of international law

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Government shouldn't be funding religious schools of any kind IMO since that violates my civil rights.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Government shouldn't be funding religious schools of any kind IMO since that violates my civil rights.
If you rent you have no control over which school board the property owner might be paying into. Some cities in Canada have both public and catholic school boards in the same municipality dividing up taxes and running two administrations totally wasting money and resources.
Enough is enough already. Pay for your own damn boogeyman.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If you rent you have no control over which school board the property owner might be paying into. Some cities in Canada have both public and catholic school boards in the same municipality dividing up taxes and running two administrations totally wasting money and resources.
Enough is enough already. Pay for your own damn boogeyman.

Even if you own, you don't have the same rights as a Catholic. The Catholic can take advantage of the public Catholic education the province of Ontario provides, no matter how poor he might be.

If you're a Jew, let's say, you still have to pay your school taxes, but if you want your kid to go to a Jewish school, then you have to pay out of your own pocket, forcing you to pay twice for educaiton whereas your Catholic neighbour only has to pay once.

This double religious standard is in violation of a few sections of the UN Charter of Human Rights:

United Nations Human Rights Website - Treaty Bodies Database - Document - Jurisprudence - Canada

Are you defending it?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Here's a section from the complaint:

"3.2 The author also claims that Ontario's school funding practices violate Article 18(1) taken in conjunction with Article 2. The author states that he experiences financial hardship in order to provide his children with a Jewish education, a hardship which is not experienced by a Roman Catholic parent seeking to provide his children with a Roman Catholic education. The author claims that such hardship significantly impairs, in a discriminatory fashion, the enjoyment of the right to manifest one's religion, including the freedom to provide a religious education for one's children, or to establish religious schools."

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
If you are anything other than Catholic and you wish to send your child to a Religious school one must pay. Catholic and French was the price of Manitoba.

Has any other groups like the Orangemen ???-objected to the present system?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Here's a section from the complaint:

"3.2 The author also claims that Ontario's school funding practices violate Article 18(1) taken in conjunction with Article 2. The author states that he experiences financial hardship in order to provide his children with a Jewish education, a hardship which is not experienced by a Roman Catholic parent seeking to provide his children with a Roman Catholic education. The author claims that such hardship significantly impairs, in a discriminatory fashion, the enjoyment of the right to manifest one's religion, including the freedom to provide a religious education for one's children, or to establish religious schools."

The author's obviously never been in a Catholic school in Ontario. I got news, if you are Catholic and you want your children to have a Catholic education, you gotta send them to a private school also! :lol:

Still, my understanding is that there is a constitutional basis for Catholic education.

It's discriminatory on the surface, but there's a reason for it. Just like Natives not paying income taxes. It's not really a discrimination, it's more of a concession. A deal was made. We're honoring it.

Reactions: CDNBear

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you guys really have a hard on for Catholics, don't ya...ahhhhhhhh poor baby's...... Publically funded Catholic Education was part of the deal to bring some of the provices into Confederation....don't like it....you know where the door is.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
you guys really have a hard on for Catholics, don't ya...ahhhhhhhh poor baby's...... Publically funded Catholic Education was part of the deal to bring some of the provices into Confederation....don't like it....you know where the door is.
If Jen's Catholic, then you are correct.

And you are correct, it was a deal. But I still do not agree with it.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If the Ontario Government must fund Catholic schools then Catholic churches must pay taxes it's only fair for this to work it's time to get rid of the tax exemptions for all churches in Ontario

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If the Ontario Government must fund Catholic schools then Catholic churches must pay taxes it's only fair for this to work it's time to get rid of the tax exemptions for all churches in Ontario

Why? 2 different things. Like I said, this was part of the deal for certain provinces to enter into confederation. Are you now suggesting, like a typical european decedent, that the deal be wiped and rewritten?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'd agree, but...
Why? 2 different things. Like I said, this was part of the deal for certain provinces to enter into confederation. Are you now suggesting, like a typical european decedent, that the deal be wiped and rewritten?
I'm gunna shuddap before this bites me in the collective community...:lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The author's obviously never been in a Catholic school in Ontario. I got news, if you are Catholic and you want your children to have a Catholic education, you gotta send them to a private school also! :lol:.

And I got news for you. I went to a public Catholic school in Ontario as a child. It was totally covered by the Ontario government. My parents did not have to pay one cent other than through taxes. So you are totally wrong on that point. If you send your child to Catholic school, you have a clear economic advantage over the guy who wants to send his child to a Muslim school.

Still, my understanding is that there is a constitutional basis for Catholic education..

There is not constitutional basis for it. McGuinty tried to pull that one off, but when challenged, he could not comment on what part of the consitution he could defend this discrimination. It is unconstitutional, yet somehow manages to stick. Go figure.

t's discriminatory on the surface, but there's a reason for it. Just like Natives not paying income taxes. It's not really a discrimination, it's more of a concession. A deal was made. We're honoring it.[/quote]

It's discriminatory on the surface, and discriminatory at heart!

It's different from the native case. The treaties with the natives were international treaties, equal to, let's say, a treaty between Canada and the USA. With the Catholics, there is no such treaty. If o then please dig it up. Anglos may have given this as a concession to Franophones to maintain peace, but there was no signed treaty or agreement of any kind. Now it's just a blind discriminatory, unconstitution policy in violation of international law.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Cut the Catholicophobia BS. My mother's Cathlic, I was raised Catholic, I was baptised Catholic, I did my Catholic First Communion, and then adopted my own Faith. Talk about the guile. To imply that we are Catholicophobic because we're asking for a level playing field. Cut the hypocricy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
ROFL at machjo....no doubt about it...you're an idiot and don't have a clue what you are talking about..... try doing a little research, and learn the history of the country you live in.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Now if discrimination was the price to pay for Confederation, then this ***** of a country we have should rescind the agreement and let all the provinces go their own way, unless of course they should wish to renegotiate a new modern agreement?

Are you actually proud of such a confederation? Are you now defending discrimination?

Sure we should honour our agreements. If the agreement was that by not granting Catholic education, we must let the province go, then we should honour that and let the province go.

Of course in theory we could do the same with the natives, though that would mean a sudden rise in refugee claims across the UK and France.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Or another possibility is for the Catholics to honour their sense of justice, admit that this is unjust, and give up their privilege of their own free will. But if they would rather force us to honour our agreement and dissolve Canada, we should honour the agreement, but then Catholics will have shown their true colours.