Any Experience With Single Transferable Vote

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Here in BC we're about to vote on the Single Transferable Vote

I have my doubts but have lived my whole life under First Past The Post.

Does anyone here have any experience living under a STV system?
Did you vote on it last time? Have you read about it? Study it. It needs to be studied to see the sense behind it. It just barely lost last time and I think it will make it this time around. It has my vote. You have to be willing to read about it and realize that it's just common sense. If you just skim over it you won't understand it and then you won't vote for it and you may ignore the chance altogether.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I don't even remember it being on the ballot last time.

I've read and read and read-I'm asking for practical experience from people who've actually lived with it.
Then what did you vote for? I don't mean that to sound nasty. I just mean, didn't you read the ballot, as it gave you the choice. My husband and myself were scrutineers at the last election and there were even people there to explain it to anyone who was willing to take the time to have it explained. For people who have experienced it first hand, I think you have to look to Britain for experienced people. Maybe just to Ireland as I believe it's there that they say it works great. To the best of my knowledge, it is not being used anywhere on this continent. Anyway, it's only provincial for now so if it doesn't work, we can always vote it out again.:idea:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It seems to indicate that Australia also uses it and I believe there is a poster here from Australia but - you never know for sure where anyone is from.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
4 years ago I was working at a new job and was totally involved in a business I hadn't been in for 20 years-I had no time for anything but work.

I was so dog tired I phoned a political party to give me a ride to/from the polling station after work when normally I would have cycled there in 10 minutes.

There's no recollection of my voting for anything or anyone so Please don't badger me about it.

Again I'm looking for real world experience from people who have lived under the system not bland assurances.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
4 years ago I was working at a new job and was totally involved in a business I hadn't been in for 20 years-I had no time for anything but work.

I was so dog tired I phoned a political party to give me a ride to/from the polling station after work when normally I would have cycled there in 10 minutes.

There's no recollection of my voting for anything or anyone so Please don't badger me about it.

Again I'm looking for real world experience from people who have lived under the system not bland assurances.
Then you fly at it. I'll leave you to your quest. You sound to me like someone who wants someone else to do all your footwork for you.8O

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
I voted for it last time and was sorry to see it didn't pass.

I am hoping it would reduce the polarization of politics here in BC. For a while the NDP governs, with some pretty extreme left-leaning policies, then it was the Socred, with some pretty right-wing policies, then it is the NDP again, then it is the Liberals, etc.

I'd prefer stable, long-term, practical policies.

The STV system seems to be a little more complicated than the First Past the Post system, but it cannot be much worse than what we have now.

(However, I have never lived anywhere that actually has the system in place, so I don't have any first-hand experience with such a system.)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Here in BC we're about to vote on the Single Transferable Vote

I have my doubts but have lived my whole life under First Past The Post.

Does anyone here have any experience living under a STV system?

Most canadians have never had any experience with anything other than FPtP. STV is not complicated compared to some other models that were studied but it is different. The biggest change will be how the ridings are represented but since most people don't seem to know who their MLA is now and many don't even know which riding they live in I doubt that they will notice any change. Those of us that are involved or interested in politics will figure it out quite quickly.
I voted in favor last time and will do so again. My only real concern is that it may allow fringe or one interest parties a seat in the leg. and I am not yet sure if this is good or bad yet.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
since most people don't know who their MLA is now and many don't even know which riding they live in I doubt that they will notice any change

Point taken.

My only real concern is that it may allow fringe or one interest parties a seat in the leg. and I am not yet sure if this is good or bad yet

Another good point.

Since I live in Vancouver there's always some axe grinding nutcase on the fringe.8O

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You sound to me like someone who is quick to criticise and slow to comprehend.:roll:

Asking for real life stories from the aether is not asking to be spoon fed.
And I guess you sound to me like someone with a PHD.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The thing about nutball fringe parties is, they tend to dry up when they actually get put in office and you see just how looney they are. Ranting about the main parties is easy, doing their job, less so.

As for real life stories.

Might I suggest not looking on a CANADIAN content forum as nowhere in Canada has this system?

Go to a British, or Aussie or Irish (or whichever has been suggested) forum.