Is Harper for REAL ?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
So Harper made a speech and trashed Liberals. He says one thing in public and gets caught bragging to others in closed doors..

This is not the first time Harper has had this happen. Does he not think "others" that do not like him within the Conservative Party will not spill this out to the media?

Get a brain Harper..

Stephen Harper made two very different sales pitches for his economic plan this week: one a public pep talk to jittery Canadians, the other a private smoothing-of-the-feathers for uneasy conservatives.

The marquee speech Canadians saw on television Tuesday or read about the next day was about how the economy would recover swiftly and strongly through targeted spending in the budget.

The other was behind closed doors Thursday evening to a group of key conservatives - sharply partisan remarks that ripped into the Liberals, libertarians, the Obama administration's tax policies and Wall Street.

The prime minister spoke at a conference sponsored by the Manning Centre for Building Democracy, a conservative think-tank run by former Reform Party leader Preston Manning.

The prime minister's office did not signal beforehand that he was giving the speech, and refused to make his remarks available afterward.

In a recording obtained by The Canadian Press, Harper goes after the Liberals in a election-campaign style attack, saying the current situation would be much worse had they been in power.

"Imagine the stance Canada would have taken when Hezbollah and Hamas terrorists attacked Israel. Imagine how many Liberal insiders and ideologues would be now in the Senate, the courts and countless other federal institutions and agencies - I should say, how many more," Harper said to laughter.

"Imagine the costs of going through with the Kyoto and Kelowna accords with no plan to actually achieve anything on either the environment or aboriginal affairs.

Imagine what a carbon tax would be doing to our economy in the middle of a global recession."

He twice pointed disdainfully to tax hikes U.S. President Barack Obama introduced for the highest tax brackets.

Harper urged the crowd not to "forget that Conservatives being in power has made

an enormous difference."

CTV.ca | Harper rips Liberals in closed-door speech

So other trying to look good and making a few people laugh within his own special group he has now given the impression of a two faced, US hating, liar.

Great Mr Harper, more reasons for people not to trust you.. Fantastic job..

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It will be the "night of the long knives" for the Conservative party very soon. The problem is the have a bunch of "wannabe's" waiting in the wings who need to consult a gps to find Parliment

If they ever want to win a mahjority, they have to get rid of Harper. If they ever want to win a majority they have to find a conservastive with some credibilty (an oxymoron).

The reality. Come the next election, the will be the official opposition

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Harper is having a identity problem , he thinks he is a all knowing god who is in control... But he is really a minority leader that needs a reality check........ When I see Harper I always smell Mulroney................a arrogant fool who will not learn.......

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It would seem the right itself is about to witness a new split like it had after Mulroney's time. Harper had bashed Libertarians during his speech, and Libertarians, though they're not particularly fond of Conservatives, will sometimes join the Party and vote for it while plugging their noses. Now in this closed-door speech, Harper is burning even that weak bridge that's left between conservatives and libertarians. We could see a right-wing split come next election, and any smart left-wing party could exploit that, especially since there is some overlap btween Libertarians and the left. Just to take one example, neither the left nor libertarians generally support sending troops abroad, the idea being that our army is for national defence, nothing else. Though a left-libertarian co-alition would be odd, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilty. It woudl be a fragile co-alition with few points in common, but it would likely be enough to reverse many Conservative policies before they each go their own way.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It would seem the right itself is about to witness a new split like it had after Mulroney's time. Harper had bashed Libertarians during his speech, and Libertarians, though they're not particularly fond of Conservatives, will sometimes join the Party and vote for it while plugging their noses. Now in this closed-door speech, Harper is burning even that weak bridge that's left between conservatives and libertarians. We could see a right-wing split come next election, and any smart left-wing party could exploit that, especially since there is some overlap btween Libertarians and the left. Just to take one example, neither the left nor libertarians generally support sending troops abroad, the idea being that our army is for national defence, nothing else. Though a left-libertarian co-alition would be odd, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilty. It woudl be a fragile co-alition with few points in common, but it would likely be enough to reverse many Conservative policies before they each go their own way.

It would seem the right itself is about to witness a new split like it had after Mulroney's time.

That's probably the case. You'll have the "red" Tories (who are actually Liberals with a Central Canadian base) and the "Blue" Tories based in Western Canda minus the religious hyperbole

Either way. The Conservative power base is eroding quickly and may soon return to the days of Kim Campbell

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
It would seem the right itself is about to witness a new split like it had after Mulroney's time.

That's probably the case. You'll have the "red" Tories (who are actually Liberals with a Central Canadian base) and the "Blue" Tories based in Western Canda minus the religious hyperbole

Either way. The Conservative power base is eroding quickly and may soon return to the days of Kim Campbell

Sorry been a little pre-occupied with other things and although I got to post this today I had to rush out again today..

Tyr, it is very possible a split might happen again on the right and I am fearful it will.

Here is a likely scenario if it would that is scary to me.

• Harper splits Conservatives and has a centre right and complete right party again. Ala style Progressive Conservative / Reform days.
  • Liberals split and have a Centre right and lefty's in party vote on NDP side
This could produce an NDP Majority win leaving the Left in total control with no idea how to run the country.

If we think we are in a mess now, I would hate to see Jack running the show.. This might appeal to some of you but not me..

This is why I believe Harper has to go ASAP.. The issue is the party does not want to chance axing the leader while in minority rule.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
LOL If a so-called Conservative is handing out social bail out plans and moolah he is in no way at all a Conservative.

When politics became a profession instead of a duty we lost all definition of Liberal or Conservative. It is now merely show business.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are these two related?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Sorry been a little pre-occupied with other things and although I got to post this today I had to rush out again today..

Tyr, it is very possible a split might happen again on the right and I am fearful it will.

Here is a likely scenario if it would that is scary to me.

• Harper splits Conservatives and has a centre right and complete right party again. Ala style Progressive Conservative / Reform days.
  • Liberals split and have a Centre right and lefty's in party vote on NDP side
This could produce an NDP Majority win leaving the Left in total control with no idea how to run the country.

If we think we are in a mess now, I would hate to see Jack running the show.. This might appeal to some of you but not me..

This is why I believe Harper has to go ASAP.. The issue is the party does not want to chance axing the leader while in minority rule.

Liberals split and have a Centre right and lefty's in party vote on NDP side

That will never happen unless the countries entire water supply gets "spiked" with Oxycotlin.

The Liberals would never split the party and even on the .000001% chance they did - The NDP would never garner enough votes for a majority gov't no matter who they ran against

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
We already have fluoride for that. It worked great for Stalin.

Ha ha ha good point...

Liberals split and have a Centre right and lefty's in party vote on NDP side

That will never happen unless the countries entire water supply gets "spiked" with Oxycotlin.

The Liberals would never split the party and even on the .000001% chance they did - The NDP would never garner enough votes for a majority gov't no matter who they ran against

I think I should have said more along the lines of The Liberals will split the vote then the party.. My mistake..

And Yes I can see it happen..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Harper is for real and is real, for the better or the worse, I haven't made up my mind, but am backing him until the Liberals can prove they are better.