Harper drops Cadman defamation suit against Liberals

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
The question is why did both sides drop this if the Liberals would have won and Harper lost?

There is so much more to this that people need to know as many laws of extreme seriousness would have been broken.. If both wash their hands of this both will be guilty of not following thru..

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has abruptly dropped his $3.5-million defamation suit against the Liberal party over the Cadman affair.

A 51-word news release said Harper and the Federal Liberal Agency of Canada have settled all issues related to the lawsuit.

The suit has been dismissed without costs awarded to either side.
"The parties are pleased to put the matter behind them and will make no further comment," the terse statement said.

Sources have told CTV News that Harper "was going to lose" and thus, dropped the suit.

CTV.ca | Harper drops Cadman defamation suit against Liberals

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
The question is why did both sides drop this if the Liberals would have won and Harper lost?

There is so much more to this that people need to know as many laws of extreme seriousness would have been broken.. If both wash their hands of this both will be guilty of not following thru..

CTV.ca | Harper drops Cadman defamation suit against Liberals

It has alot (well, maybe everything) to do with Donna Cadman running for the CPC in the last provincial election and the Liberals being broke. she "sold her soul to the devil" so to speak

Dona Cadman is the widow of former Canadian Member of Parliament Chuck Cadman. She is currently the MP (of the Conservative Party of Canada) in the riding of Surrey North

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It has alot (well, maybe everything) to do with Donna Cadman running for the CPC in the last provincial election and the Liberals being broke. she "sold her soul to the devil" so to speak

Dona Cadman is the widow of former Canadian Member of Parliament Chuck Cadman. She is currently the MP (of the Conservative Party of Canada) in the riding of Surrey North
How do you know with certainty that Donna Cadman is the one who sold her soul? Maybe Donna Cadman, the Liberal Party and The Conservative party all had a little to "hide" and all made an agreement to just let this go. Maybe in effect, both parties let her save her soul by agreeing to let this issue die.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
A 51-word news release said Harper and the Federal Liberal Agency of Canada have settled all issues related to the lawsuit.
I just counted my words in the post above this one. I have written a tad more than 51 words so you can see how brief it was.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
How do you know with certainty that Donna Cadman is the one who sold her soul? Maybe Donna Cadman, the Liberal Party and The Conservative party all had a little to "hide" and all made an agreement to just let this go. Maybe in effect, both parties let her save her soul by agreeing to let this issue die.

Nobody "knows for certainty" except Dona Cadman and she is saying nothing, so people tend to look at the facts and run with them.

Bribery by a sitting PM is not a trite matter. Mulroney got away with it (so far). Harper shouldn't. The Judiciary process should make "extraordinary efforts" to bring the case to conclusion inside the courts

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Nobody "knows for certainty" except Dona Cadman and she is saying nothing, so people tend to look at the facts and run with them.

Bribery by a sitting PM is not a trite matter. Mulroney got away with it (so far). Harper shouldn't. The Judiciary process should make "extraordinary efforts" to bring the case to conclusion inside the courts
Tyr do you know with proof that the PM bribed anyone. I seriously doubt anyone would have agreed to drop this issue if true bribery had been involved especially at a time when the Liberal party in particular would love to blow him out of the water. As Sir Francis says - there is a lot more to this than any of us really know. I just have a hunch there could be some guilt regarding the two parties and Donna Cadman herself and that there must be enough there to have all persons agree to let this go.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Tyr do you know with proof that the PM bribed anyone. I seriously doubt anyone would have agreed to drop this issue if true bribery had been involved especially at a time when the Liberal party in particular would love to blow him out of the water. As Sir Francis says - there is a lot more to this than any of us really know. I just have a hunch there could be some guilt regarding the two parties and Donna Cadman herself and that there must be enough there to have all persons agree to let this go.

Tyr do you know with proof that the PM bribed anyone

Hence the reason to go through the full legal process. A comparison can be made for "deals" outside of the courtroom to the law which will not allow a domestic assault case to be dropped even if the parties involved agree to it.

there is a lot more to this than any of us really know.

It is in the best interest of all Canadians for full disclosure. "Backroom" deals between political parties "reek" of illegal collusion and we as tax payers and voters need to know everything was above board.

Dona Cadman could go along way towards that disclosure by swearing under oath. Why hasn't she?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Dona Cadman alleged that her husband told her that prior to the vote, two Conservative Party officials offered her husband a million-dollar life insurance policy in exchange for his vote to bring down the Liberal government in May 2005. These allegations first became publicly known in early 2008 in connection with the scheduled March 15, 2008 publication of Like A Rock: The Chuck Cadman Story, by Vancouver journalist Tom Zytaruk.
Under section 119 of the Criminal Code of Canada, it is illegal to bribe an MP.

Accordingly, Opposition Liberal party Intergovernmental Affairs critic Dominic LeBlanc asked the RCMP in February 2008 to investigate this allegation, that the Conservatives had offered Mr. Cadman a million-dollar life insurance policy in exchange for his support on the budget vote. In May 2008, the RCMP announced that there was no evidence to support charges.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Dona Cadman alleged that her husband told her that prior to the vote, two Conservative Party officials offered her husband a million-dollar life insurance policy in exchange for his vote to bring down the Liberal government in May 2005. These allegations first became publicly known in early 2008 in connection with the scheduled March 15, 2008 publication of Like A Rock: The Chuck Cadman Story, by Vancouver journalist Tom Zytaruk.
Under section 119 of the Criminal Code of Canada, it is illegal to bribe an MP.

Accordingly, Opposition Liberal party Intergovernmental Affairs critic Dominic LeBlanc asked the RCMP in February 2008 to investigate this allegation, that the Conservatives had offered Mr. Cadman a million-dollar life insurance policy in exchange for his support on the budget vote. In May 2008, the RCMP announced that there was no evidence to support charges.
All you say is very true and I read it all. I still think there has to be things that have not been made public and maybe not even shared with the police (if they are not criminal then they don't necessarily have to be shared with anyone I suppose) that have led this incident to be put to sleep.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The bribe sounds like the most possible even though there is no proof so I would have to argue it as a conspiracy theory like Elvis lives and the more than one shooter theory of JFK and the most popular aliens at Area 51 not the Mexicans but the ones from outer space.

It’s simple the Liberals don’t have the money and the Conservatives don’t want the negative publicity a trial of this type of lawsuit would carry.

The Liberal budget would satisfy all sides.

Most of the worlds governments are bailing out companies and throwing more money for infrastructures so the Conservatives have to sit on their hands for a year then go back to their original budgets and hope the economy improves.

The Liberals can take credit with working with the government and not letting it fall so soon after an election.

It’s a win-win solution if in fact there was a bribe but there is no proof at this time.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

This seems to me to be very good evidence that the Liberals were wading into deep doo-doo over this one: I don't think Dona Cadman would be real quick to lie about the details surrounding her klate, and very honourable, husband.......

It seems to me Harper dropped it because the allegations, true or false, would repeatedly surface in any election campaign, making him look petty at best, corrupt at worst.

The Liberals, on the other hand, had only one reason to agree to let it go without speaking of it anymore: they thought they would lose, and they can't afford it.

Anyone else have any ideas????

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
This seems to me to be very good evidence that the Liberals were wading into deep doo-doo over this one: I don't think Dona Cadman would be real quick to lie about the details surrounding her klate, and very honourable, husband.......

It seems to me Harper dropped it because the allegations, true or false, would repeatedly surface in any election campaign, making him look petty at best, corrupt at worst.

The Liberals, on the other hand, had only one reason to agree to let it go without speaking of it anymore: they thought they would lose, and they can't afford it.

Anyone else have any ideas????

It was the carrot that Harpo put out to get his budget passed. That doesn't make him any less of a slimeball crimainal, just not a public one

btw. Bribery from a sitting PM wouldn't come out as "petty"

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It was the carrot that Harpo put out to get his budget passed. That doesn't make him any less of a slimeball crimainal, just not a public one

btw. Bribery from a sitting PM wouldn't come out as "petty"

Your first contention is silly: why would dropping the suit, if the Liberals are correct, be a carrot??????? One would think the Liberals would rather have their days in court, with the words "Harper" "Conservatives" "Scandal" and "Improper conduct" splattered all over the papers........

The logical conclusion is the Liberals were, at the very least, extremely unsure of their ground.....

And it wasn't bribery I was talking about....I thing suits for defamation brought by a sitting PM over things first raised in the House are petty and outrageous......

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Your first contention is silly: why would dropping the suit, if the Liberals are correct, be a carrot??????? One would think the Liberals would rather have their days in court, with the words "Harper" "Conservatives" "Scandal" and "Improper conduct" splattered all over the papers........

The logical conclusion is the Liberals were, at the very least, extremely unsure of their ground.....

And it wasn't bribery I was talking about....I thing suits for defamation brought by a sitting PM over things first raised in the House are petty and outrageous......

Nobody likes to have their hero chastised Colpy. You have my sympathies

Reports are that it was a pretty open and shut conviction IF Cadman were willing to testify. Maybe Harpo's "warchest" is a little poorer today?

I guess it must have been a "VERY BIG" carrot for the Liberals to keep "mum" about it and Dona Cadman to have become mute.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
That this seems to be connected with the budget looks bad for everyone. Iggy has just the slightest look of a lap dog if you ask me. I would have to say that he needs to make a point of kicking some ass soon here or suffer that image growing.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
That this seems to be connected with the budget looks bad for everyone. Iggy has just the slightest look of a lap dog if you ask me. I would have to say that he needs to make a point of kicking some ass soon here or suffer that image growing.

I think Iggy has already screwed both himself and his party. Advantage: The Conservatives.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's more likely that both sides realized that in the end, no one gains from being dragged through the courts. It would have made everyone (Liberals, Conservatives, and Cadmans) look bad, no matter what the literal truth turned out to be.