Mike Duffy Offends Williams

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
CTV.ca | Senator Mike Duffy's comments 'offend' Danny Williams

CTV.ca News Staff
It didn't take Senator Mike Duffy long to get back into the media spotlight after a lurid turn-of-phrase landed the Islander in hot water with two Atlantic Canadian premiers.
Duffy, in his debut speech in the chamber of second sober thought, rallied against the "grotesque scene" of P.E.I. Premier Robert Ghiz joining forces with Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams to protest a cap on equalization payment increases in the federal budget.
As a Conservative senator, the topic wasn't unexpected, but Duffy's innuendo-filled description of the alliance raised a number of eyebrows.
"I was disappointed to see that our dynamic young Premier in Prince Edward Island, Robert Ghiz, has climbed into bed with the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador and honorable Senators know what a grotesque scene that is,'' Duffy told his new colleagues Tuesday.
"Do honorable Senators know what happens when two politicians climb into bed together? One of them comes out on top and I am afraid that when one is in bed with Danny Williams, he will come out on top and I would hate to see where that will leave P.E.I. in the end."
Duffy, who hails from Charlottetown, made similar comments at a Conservative meeting on P.E.I. last Saturday, using even stronger language.
Both premiers have since spoken out against Duffy's comments. Liberal Senator Claudette Tardif called the comments "sexist."
"Duffy was very much over the top," the colourful Williams said in an interview with CTV Atlantic Thursday. "Duffy is being manipulated and told what to do by the venomous, nasty Harper Conservatives."
"It's a terrible statement, quite frankly."
Williams said he was offended by the statement but added "I don't need an apology. Big boy, thick skin."
Ghiz told P.E.I. newspaper The Guardian that Duffy's comments were disappointing.
"Mike Duffy said he wanted to be a senator from Prince Edward Island. I would hope that he would act like one,'' Ghiz told the paper Wednesday.
On Thursday in the Senate, Duffy said he was withdrawing his metaphor but did not apologize.
"Honourable senators, if the metaphor I used in my speech on Feb. 3 was offensive to some members of this chamber, I withdraw the metaphor," Duffy said a terse statement.
Duffy has previously said he meant his comments to be "humourous."
Duffy, a veteran journalist who worked for CTV and CBC over his career, accepted Prime Minister Stephen Harper's offer to join the Senate in December.

Gotta love Mike :lol:

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yep. Although it ain't hard to offend a meglomaniacal psychopath like Williams.
As opposed to a bend-over-and-take-it-up-the-ying-yang Rodney MacDonald?

Williams and the province will scream, scratch, claw, bellow and throw as many hissy fits as it takes to get their point across. The days of raping and pillaging Newfoundland and Labrador are over...get it...over. It will take a while for that to sink in to the rest of the countries deep rooted stereotypical thinking but you'll get there eventually.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Um....what exactly have we pillaged from the Newfies? As I understand it, they have been taking us for millions, if not billions of dollars every year.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Oh fer gawds sake get your facts straight! I won't bother typing the long list of shafts, clawbacks and general disregard for the province. A quick browse through CC should give you some indication how the country views the province. Suffice it to say you are sorely misled by media, your parents and your drinking buddies. Do some research and get back to me.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I've done all the research I need to do. Newfoundland has been an economic drain on Canada. If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I've done all the research I need to do. Newfoundland has been an economic drain on Canada. If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.
That's an easy cop out from a citizen of Alberta who has been living the good life for the past decade or so. And who helped make your economy strong but a large workforce from the east coast. Don't gloat little man. Someday it might come back to haunt you.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

If not for Gander, a great many ATC, RCAF and TCA planes would be out of gas at the bottom of the Atlantic. Now, they've gotcha by the short and curlies ... like Alberta. It's called OIL.

If it's any consolation to you, to my great-grandfather, until his last breath, Joey Smallwood (PC) was the devil hisself for selling Newf out to "dem Mainlanders"

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That's an easy cop out from a citizen of Alberta who has been living the good life for the past decade or so. And who helped make your economy strong but a large workforce from the east coast. Don't gloat little man. Someday it might come back to haunt you.

Is that your evidence?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Duff is very intelligent and very entertaining. Elizabeth may only wishes she had half the smarts of Mike.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Is that your evidence?
The evidence is there for you to view if you had the where-with-all to study it. A simple search on the wonderful thing they call the internet will give you plenty of evidence. But...since you are not about to educate yourself I'll indulge you.

#1: Churchill Falls. Premier Smallwood entered into a bad deal but by the time he realized his mistake the federal government and the province of Quebec had railroaded him into taking the deal. I believe the words to Joey at the time was something to the effect of "hey man take the deal or risk having Quebec separate from the country because if this deal goes sour it will be on your head". And this was from the prime minister of the day. Can you imagine the pressure on Smallwood? The result is a 90 year contract that gives Quebec somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 million a year while Newfoundland and Labrador gets a stippence of $80 million for a resource that belongs to the province! To put it bluntly, we are subsidizing Quebec, a form of financial assistance if you will. And today the feds (and Quebec) still won't allow a corridor through the province of Quebec so Newfoundland and Labrador can develop the Lower Churchill and sell their power to the eastern states. That's real comraderie for you. What do you figure is a fair deal? Williams is a man of his word. The Lower Churchill will be developed and the province will sell the power. We found a circuitous route.

Reactions: Tonington

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Is that your evidence?
#2: The fishery. An industry that dates back to the end of the 14th century. There are photos housed in a museum in France that date back to 1652 showing my small community as a French fishing village. The way of life is steeped into the bones of nearly every one from the island and along the coast of Labrador. This tradition of earning a living was wiped out when Canada allowed foreign factory freezer ships to roam the coast and fill their holds with one of our precious resources. I sat in my fathers's small 18' motorboat and watched them off in the distance as a young boy. Dad would say “yeah, that's one of those Russian trawlers”. To me they looked like giant floating factories and that's exactly what they were. Even then, 40 years ago, we both knew the waters could not sustain this onslaught of scouring and scraping the ocean floor. A 500 year old industry is reduced to ruin by pure greed and gross mismanagement. And yet almost a year ago today the Spanish were once again fined, this time by their own government, for overfishing off Newfoundland. We're finally getting some teeth and forcing other nations to take responsibility for their own actions.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Is that your evidence?
#3: The people. Years of bad deals, corrupt governments and general disinterest from mainland Canada has led the people of the province to become distrustful and guarded. They (we) realized this deal with Canada is not working out like the storybook said. Hard times back home meant you had to board the next plane for the mainland and find your way elsewhere. Most went to Fort McMurray but you'll find us wandering around this country and the world no matter where you go. We wander the world, work, pay taxes, contribute to the local community, all the while keeping our ear to the ground waiting for the chance to return to our beloved island. A lot of us are approaching retirement age now and that dream slowly fades as you raise your family in a far off place, they grow up and leave home and you wonder if moving across the country to retire is going to be a good thing. The sense of place and the ties that bind families together are broken. Then along comes Danny Williams and brings with him hope for a better future. Williams offered a strong business sense combined with a sharp tongue and knack for getting under the skin of the federal government, traits the people of Newfoundland and Labrador respect. Some call it whining but we prefer to call it fighting for your rights. Which leads me to.....

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Is that your evidence?
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]#4: The Atlantic Accord. In 1985 Brian Mulroney and Brian Peckford hammered out an agreement that allowed Newfoundland and Labrador to become the principal beneficiary of resources on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. The resource would remain with the Government of Canada, but 100% of the benefits of royalties and revenues would go to the province off whose shoreline the resource was found. This is a signed contract folks, much like the same contract that was signed between the governments of Newfoundland and Quebec over Churchill Falls. However, as the oil began to come ashore it was quickly discovered that any royalties realized from the oil drilling was in turn taken away by the federal government (Jean Chretien) in transfer payment clawbacks, leaving the province with zero benefit for the resource. The cry from Newfoundland was hey how are we supposed to become a self sustaining province if we are still at the status quo? When Alberta's oil industry began to take off the federal government of the day saw fit to let them gain a few years of growth while their economy grew before clawing back the transfer payments, they yelled. When Martin came to power he felt so damn guilty for the injustice that the previous government, of which he was finance minister, had inflicted on the province he agreed to reopen the accord for discussion. The result was the revised 2005 Accord, still giving Newfoundland and Labrador a chance to pull itself out of the financial doldrums, but it would just take a little longer (does anyone else see a pattern here?). Just two short years later we find our economist from the west, who's greatest achievment to this point was working the mail room at an oil company and who's lust for power is so strong he will drive a spike through the heart of Canada in order to gain the lofty heights he so desires, rides into Ottawa with a hate on for eastern Canada that would make the columists at the Globe and Mail look like sunday school teachers. So our white knight on a steed decides to whittle away a bit more at the newly signed accord and the result is what we are faced with today, which amounts to a loss of $1.5 billion over the next 3 years to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador and a serious breach of contract between the province and the government of Canada.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]There have been countless other incidents over the years of lesser importance but serious nontheless where the province has taken a backseat to shady business practices, government meddling and outright lies and deceit. Harper perpetuates the stereotypical misconception that eastern Canada is a huge sinkhole who can't stand on their own without help from the rest of the country. And he'll do whatever is in his power to make sure it stays that way. Well man, it's like this. We can't give away any more. We're a proud people who only want what's right. We cannot continue to send our minerals to smelters in Ontario, our timber and water rights to Abitibi, our fish to the foreign trawlers and our people to Fort McMurray. Not to mention the disproportionate number of young people from our province dying on the killing fields of Afghanistan for a country that would rather we simply float out to sea. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]So mister if you think Newfoundland and Labrador has been taking from your country think about this. Since the day we signed on the dotted line in 1949 to become Canada's 10th province, a vote that is still mired in controversy, it has been an uphill battle all the way for justice, fairness and a sense of belonging. There is a concerted effort among certain individuals and groups in this country who's sole aim it is to keep Newfoundland and eastern Canada at a disadvantage. That way they can send us the transfer payments, scream that we are always on the take, use our under-employed people to keep the economic engines of Ontario and Alberta humming along and create anomosity amoung the general population towards the province by injecting people like Mike Duffy in the media to spout his inane BS.
[/FONT]

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Oh fer gawds sake get your facts straight! I won't bother typing the long list of shafts, clawbacks and general disregard for the province. A quick browse through CC should give you some indication how the country views the province. Suffice it to say you are sorely misled by media, your parents and your drinking buddies. Do some research and get back to me.

Not just Newfoundland, but every province from Quebec and east, including PEI, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.

Mike Duffy talking about what's grotesque? Maybe Jaba the Hut should look in the mirror sometime. Mike is Harper's little media lap dog, he's been a suck hole for the Conservatives for as long as I can remember, along with the rest of CTV.

For him to shoot his mouth off about those who oppose plans by the Conservatives isn't a suprise for me, esspecially after he got his fancy little sen. position to buy him off even further.

"Duffy is being manipulated and told what to do by the venomous, nasty Harper Conservatives."

Which is probably 90%, if not, 100% true.

"Mike Duffy said he wanted to be a senator from Prince Edward Island. I would hope that he would act like one,''

You'd think that's be a simple thing to do, but what do you expect when you're in Harper's pocket?

Duffy is about as much of a sell out as Rodney MacDonald. MacDonald's only priority is to PR and damage control what the Conservatives keep doing to the maritimes, while keeping a smile..... and the smile is easy when you're getting bought out more from Harper then you are from those who voted you into power.

For the Conservatives (And Liberals) it's their party first, the community and those who voted you into power second.

Gotta Love Mike?

Hardly.... Gotta like Cheesecake more like. :roll:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

I wouldn't worry too much over it, most out in the west, some here in paticular, wouldn't know the truth and facts if they jammed a broom handle up their arse and twisted.

They only believe what the Conservatives tell them, while everybody else are complainers who are out to take what they originally stole.

I can't wait until Quebec pushed for seperation again, because I think we all should break off as well and be done with this jerk circle.