Defeat PM over 'vindictive, nasty' budget, N.L. premier tells Liberals

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Premier Danny Williams: 'The indication over the next three years is a pretty crippling effect.'

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams is calling on opposition parties to show Prime Minister Stephen Harper the door, following a federal budget he described as callous.

Williams said the fine print in changes to the federal equalization program, contained in the budget that Finance Minister Jim Flaherty delivered in Parliament Tuesday, have left him no choice but to rekindle his notorious battle with the governing Conservatives.

"It's a good indication of the punitive, vindictive, nasty side of this prime minister," Williams said. "The indication over the next three years is a pretty crippling effect."

Until this budget, provinces like Newfoundland and Labrador were given different choices under the constantly changing equalization formula, which exists to ensure a standard level of services are provided in all provinces and territories.

Until now, the program allowed provinces to pick different options each year and take the one that put them in the best financial position. Williams said the new budget removed that flexibility, and means a substantial drop in expected revenue.

"The impact in the province over the next three years is — according to our early calculations — at least a billion and a half dollars," Williams said.

Williams said the latest change uniquely affects Newfoundland and Labrador because of the way its two offshore accords interact with equalization. The first Atlantic Accord, negotiated in 1985, recognized the province as the principal beneficiary of the offshore oil industry. The second accord, completed in 2005 with Nova Scotia, addressed problems, including a clawback of equalization.

Williams believes the changes in Tuesday's budget documents are a direct retaliation for the ABC campaign — standing for "Anything but Conservative" — that Williams, a Progressive Conservative, successfully waged in his province leading up to October's general elections. Voters in Newfoundland shunned all Conservative candidates.

"It's a very clearly orchestrated campaign by the federal government to cause maximum damage to Newfoundland and Labrador," he said.

"There obviously has to be a change of leadership.… We've seen this man betray [a] commitment before," said Williams, who launched the ABC campaign when Harper dropped written campaign promises from the 2006 election to continue to exclude offshore oil revenues from the equalization formula.

Williams said he would like Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff to help defeat the budget and perhaps allow a coalition government — involving the New Democratic Party, with support from the Bloc Québécois — to take over.

The change in equalization policy comes just weeks after Newfoundland and Labrador was told that it had become, a full year earlier than expected, a "have" province, in that it no longer qualified for equalization payments at all.

After the general election in October, Williams adopted a much more conciliatory tone with the federal Conservatives. Williams said the budget proves Harper cannot be trusted.

See.... no matter how much of a pretty bow the conservatives put on their scams, there's always multiple screw overs throughout their plans...... all for political games of domination.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think it's about as good as it's going to get, best just to accept it and get on with the more important things in life.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I think it's about as good as it's going to get, best just to accept it and get on with the more important things in life.

Unfortunatly from the patterns I have seen so much of recently, that's exactly what Harper wants..... people have been delayed and stalled for a number of months now and it's gradually starving the nation from solution, to the point where he'll chuck crap and we'll take it like gold because we need something now...... that doesn't mean he's giving us the right thing.

For so many years now, I have seen this same tactic at play in the government..... they screw around and put on a bit show for us, then while they got us bent over backwards, they fluff us up something that doesn't sound so bad and seems like something we really need to fix problems...... then we get it and ends up making everything even worse then ever before.

This Budget is a Green Shift for 2009..... a doomed to fail plan that would do more harm then good and solve nothing, all the while sucking the money out of our pockets faster then before.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I agree. It's pure fluff. All those billions of our tax dollars for a short term fix to the economy. At the end of the day are we going to have anything tangible to show for this massive spending? Take the home reno part of the budget for example. One analyst called it the Rona Plan. And why are the Cons suddenly interested in social housing and the aboriginal community? Did the ice suddenly melt off their cold hearts? This budget has no vision, it's a short term fix and we the taxpayers will be left with a giant bill that future generations will have to absorb.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
It goes something like this.
Roughly.
All offshore resources belong to the crown.
Please don't tell me it's wrong or stupid or unfair; it's the law.
Internationally agreed upon for the most part.
It's also extremely common, verging on universal, internationally.

The offshore resources belong to the country as a whole not the nearest, closest or adjacent: state, zone, region, province, riding, fiefdom or hamlet.

Nearby offshore(inshore) resources could in some cases be ceded to the nearest region if that is in the best interests of the country in question.
Thus offshore resources within the iron clad 12 mile limit could easily be transferred to the adjacent region or province.
In Canada that probably means that any resources within the 12 mile limit automatically belong to the provinces, maybe anyway.
Further out it belongs to the crown.
Oil & gas resources on the east coast are way, way offshore and indisputably belong to the crown (Sable Island stuff could be an exception).
The maritime provinces can hoot and holler all they want but legally, make no mistake, all those resources are crown holdings.

The Government of Canada agreed to give the majority of the far offshore oil&gas resources to the adjacent provinces.
Why? Who knows, maybe because it seemed fair.
The negotiations took forever and I don't think any particular political party gets full credit.
Thus the oil and gas resources that Newfoundland and Nova Scotia are talking about were a gift from the Fed's that never belonged to them in the first place.

Next up comes equalization payments. I don't know if anyone knows exactly how these work, I know I don't.
Danny Williams after receiving his "gift" of offshore oil and gas resources decided that it would be beneficial to not count the billions of dollars in royalty payments as income to Newfoundland.
Thus Newfoundland would still be poor on paper.
Thus they could still get increased equalization payments as a "have not" province.
A slick move if you could sell the thing.

The Fed's baulked, big surprise there.
Then the Province of Newfoundland negotiated some kind of weird best out of three (worst out of three) accounting scenario where they got to pick which set of books were most likely to get them additional equalization payments by hiding resource revenues.
Sounds like Harper is tightening the tap and making Newfoundland and Nova Scotia book the billions of dollars of income as income.

I don't blame Danny Boy for going for every nickel he can get from the Fed's.
He deserves every penny he can get out of them.
After all look how well his neighbor Quebec has done at extracting free Fed dollars.
Best of luck with it Danny.

Trex

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I think Danny is right. That 1.5 billion dollars is approximately equal to the amount the province was planning to spend on infrastructure. The roads here are falling apart, and they're not the only thing that needs work. We need that money and we're entitled to it. The fact that Harper chose to remove that choice at this time when it only affects newfoundland speaks volumes to me. It says Harper is a spiteful man. (or spitey, as they say round here :0))

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
that's a very biased, un-called for statement with no basis in evidence.

He's the premier of newfoundland and labrador... so for a start most of the people who live here care what he says...

I could say "well you're an ass and nobody cares what you say" and declare the debate won. But then my logic would be as flawed as yours.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think Danny is right. That 1.5 billion dollars is approximately equal to the amount the province was planning to spend on infrastructure. The roads here are falling apart, and they're not the only thing that needs work. We need that money and we're entitled to it. The fact that Harper chose to remove that choice at this time when it only affects newfoundland speaks volumes to me. It says Harper is a spiteful man. (or spitey, as they say round here :0))

We of the NSLA support you NFLA patriots in your struggle for economic freedom from the hatefull fascist rule of the HarperCon regime. :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Premier Danny Williams: 'The indication over the next three years is a pretty crippling effect.'

See.... no matter how much of a pretty bow the conservatives put on their scams, there's always multiple screw overs throughout their plans...... all for political games of domination.

More like Danny wants to be treated special, cause he's Danny.

He's good for his province, but what a ****ing blowhard.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
that's a very biased, un-called for statement with no basis in evidence.

He's the premier of newfoundland and labrador... so for a start most of the people who live here care what he says...

I could say "well you're an ass and nobody cares what you say" and declare the debate won. But then my logic would be as flawed as yours.

He says what everybody is thinking and my hats off to the guy. He might be a loud mouth and seems to want to get attention all the time, but at least he's trying to get attention for the right reasons.

He's not my premiere, but I wish he was.

Who cares what he thinks?

Probably more people then who you got backing what you think Risus.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
More like Danny wants to be treated special, cause he's Danny.

He's good for his province, but what a ****ing blowhard.

Our government might actually work properly with more blowhards like him, instead of the usual Yes-Men who hold more importance in their positions and pays then the representatives who gave them their job.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Williams is an ass. Nobody cares what he says, anyway....
Maybe in your narrow world and among your circle of friends nobody cares. But this man had an 86% approval rating in the province at one time, more than any other politician in Canadian history. His ratings are still way up there. He may come across as an ass to some but he gets things done and he's not afraid to stand up to the BS wafting towards eastern Canada from the house on the hill in Ottawa.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Williams is an ass. Nobody cares what he says, anyway....

Maybe but he doesn't put up with any crap and stands up for himself to the Prime Minister. I'm betting most Newfies have a better opinion of him than you do which is what I'd guess he's concerned about.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Maybe in your narrow world and among your circle of friends nobody cares. But this man had an 86% approval rating in the province at one time, more than any other politician in Canadian history. His ratings are still way up there. He may come across as an ass to some but he gets things done and he's not afraid to stand up to the BS wafting towards eastern Canada from the house on the hill in Ottawa.

Agreed..... I say the Atlantic Provinces should haul ass, form our own nation and slap Danny there as PM of the new nation.