Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
250 YEARS LATER
Controversy surrounds re-enactment of historic Quebec battle
Battle re-enactment hits nerve in Quebec
The Globe and Mail
vendredi 16 janvier 2009

INGRID PERITZ - MONTREAL — No one’s even fired a musket, but this summer’s lavish re-enactment of the British victory over the French on the Plains of Abraham is already setting off some pre-battle jitters.

The chairman of the National Battlefields Commission says Ottawa has warned him to tread cautiously around the 250th anniversary commemorating Canada’s famous battle, which will feature a full-scale, costumed replay of the historic showdown.

"Ottawa is saying to be careful : We don’t want to offend people. We don’t want a political confrontation," André Juneau said in an interview. "Everyone, including the National Battlefields Commission, is aware of the emotional nature of the event."

The 1759 battle marked the beginning of English rule in Canada and, 250 years later, remains a sore point for some French-speaking Quebeckers. Some sovereigntists and observers say the commemoration is misplaced, and one well-known Quebec historian compares it to France marking the anniversary of its humiliating defeat at Waterloo.

But some are questioning what exactly is being commemorated, and how. The Parti Québécois is expressing concerns and has scheduled a meeting today with the head of the federal battlefields commission.

"We understand that Quebec City is a magnificent place to do historical re-enactments," PQ MNA Agnès Maltais said in an interview. "But I remind people that it’s still popularly known here as the defeat of the Plains of Abraham, not the victory of the Plains of Abraham.

"You don’t commemorate the defeat of a people, and you don’t celebrate the defeat of a people," said Ms. Maltais, her party’s critic for the Quebec City area.

Quebec City is expecting 3,000 participants to re-enact the faceoff between the British and French generals James Wolfe and Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, which lasted less than 30 minutes but sealed the destiny of the continent. Participants are coming mostly from the United States but also Britain, France and the rest of Canada.

The American Bus Association, a trade group based in Washington, has listed the battle re-creation as one of its top 100 events of 2009. As many as 200,000 people are expected.

A hard-line sovereigntist group is urging the cancellation of the event, which it calls "a demonstration of humiliating and provocative propaganda" by the federal government.

Patrick Bourgeois, head of the Réseau de résistance du Québécois, said Ottawa’s online publicity for the commemoration - featuring the descendants of Wolfe and Montcalm shaking hands amicably on the battlefield - was an attempt to whitewash history to promote federalism.

"It’s closer to vulgar propaganda than an honest interpretation of the conquest," Mr. Bourgeois said.

Quebec historian Jacques Lacoursière, a popular commentator and author of about 20 books on Quebec history, said the French army’s defeat on the Plains of Abraham has taken on a "mythic" status in the province.

"We are probably the only people who mark defeat. It’s like recalling your first spanking," Mr. Lacoursière said. The French wouldn’t celebrate their defeat at Waterloo, he said.

Mr. Juneau, whose commission is an agency of Canadian Heritage, acknowledged that he was "a bit on the defensive" about the event, but said the anniversary could be an opportunity to mark Quebec’s advancement in 250 years.

"Yes it was a defeat. We took a beating in 1759," he said. "But we got up again. We survived. Today we’re recognized as a nation."

While you can’t rewrite history, you can change the way it’s commemorated - and Mr. Juneau left the door open to modifications. "Can we change the theme ? We’ll ask ourselves the question," Mr. Juneau said. "We didn’t see this as a provocation. If it becomes one, we’ll ask ourselves what to do."

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I can understand the sovereignist point of view that a people shouldn't be celebrating their defeat.

But from my point of view (and I consider myself a soft sovereignist), this reenactment of the Battle on the Plains of Abraham is a great idea.

First of all, we are not French anymore. We are Québecois. This defeat was a defeat of French people living in North America, not of the Québecois. The Québecois nation arose out of generations of French Canadians, who after having lost their vital link with France, progressively constructed their own identity.

And for us to be able to reenact this battle with no fuss would be a strong demonstration that we've moved beyond the bitterness of having lost. It would be a strong demonstration of maturity in the sense that we are not losers anymore because this happened 250 years ago. It is history and we should be able to look back upon it with fascination and interest rather than bitterness and hard feelings.

Furthermore, the event will no doubt attract tourism, which is always a good idea for Quebec City. It is truly a beautiful city and this is one more occasion to show it off.

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Its hard to believe this is even an issue. I couldn't care less if this battle was
reenacted or not....or if in the reenactment, the French beat the Klingons...
Parliament is out on this pirogue....and still can't just butt out and let these
folks in Quebec alone to have a reason to throw a big party? That's dumb.
You'd thing "Ottawa" would be buy'n the beer to keep everyone happy in
these weird times. You'd think "Ottawa" would have more on its plate and
this would be a very distant back burner issue. Maybe things aren't as bad
as they're portrayed if this can even be an issue.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
What are we in the middle east? Things that happened two and a half centuries ago are still sensitive? Ridiculous.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Idiotic, both the French sensitivity on the suibject, and the shaking of hands by the descendents two dead guys....both Wolfe and Montcalm were killed in the battle.......and both are probably rolling in their graves.

GROW UP QUEBEC!

This is like France protesting a re-enactment of Waterloo.......

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Idiotic, both the French sensitivity on the suibject, and the shaking of hands by the descendents two dead guys....both Wolfe and Montcalm were killed in the battle.......and both are probably rolling in their graves.

GROW UP QUEBEC!

This is like France protesting a re-enactment of Waterloo.......

As much as I hate to say it, protests to this event are indeed a sign of immaturity and of lack of self-confidence.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I remember reading a story of a group from CIDA in a small town in Africa. They'd concluded, quite logically in their opinion, that the most important problem they deeded to remedy was lack of clean drinkng water and that the most economically efficient way to solve the problem was to build a waterpump.

After building the pump, they'd found that no one was drinking the water. After further investigation, they'd learnt that the locals believed that the souls of their ancestors lived in the ground, so of course refused to drink water pupmed out from underground. Because fo their paternalistic arrogance, these 'experts' had just wasted a bunch of money, and then had to spend more on building condensation nets, and that finally worked because the water was coming from the sky, not the groundwater.

It's not up to us to tell other coultures that they must think like us. It's up to us to figure out what works. If this was such a touchy issue, then why touch it at all. We don't go out and insist that we're going to do this and not consult the locals. I'll just take another example:

At a friend's home one Christmas, as whe was making up her Christmas tree, I'd decided to take the star and put it on top of the tree (as it seemed logical to me at the time that, since I was the tallest among the group of people there, I could get that out of the way). Well, little did I know that this would anger her. I don't know if it's just British culture (she was British) or general Christian culture, but for her it was imperative that that star must go on last! She had tole me before not to put the star on but I hadn't taken her seriously in all my logic. But when she barked at me to get that star off, I did. It's not up to me to insist that what I think is common sense or rational or whatever is necessarily the right way. Clearly putting that star on last was important to her, so that's what I did. I didn't need to understand it. Ionly needed to understand that it meant something to her.

The same applies here with the re-enactment of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham. It's not up to us to impose our own culturel interpretation onto them. If this angers them, we needn't necessarily understand why. The simple understanding that it offeds them should suffice.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The difference is that this is our culture Machjo. It's still our country. We're not going into a foreign land and telling them what to do.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The difference is that this is our culture Machjo. It's still our country. We're not going into a foreign land and telling them what to do.

Politically, we're one country, culturally we are two. Different languages, different dominant religions (Catholic vs. Protestant), different literatures, different music, different TV (many French Canadians couldn't even follow the CBC, just as most English Canadians would understand little of a SRC programme), newspaper (many French Canadians would struggle reading the Globe and Mail, just as most English Canadians have likely never even heard of Le Devoir), radio, and internet media, different histories (For English-Canadians, Canada begins at the Plains of Abraham, for Quebec, with the inception of New France).

Just to give you an idea, most French-Canadians would have a hard time even navigating this very website without a dictionary at hand, let alone engage in debate. We're segregated even in cyberspace. We English Canadians can communicate with the British more easily than we can with most Quebecers, just as they could communicate with the average Frenchman than they could with you. So let's not confuse politics with culture. Politically, we might be one country. Culturally, most Canadians couldn't even hold a meaningful conversation without a dictionary at hand, and even then might find it hard. So how can yo call it one culture when Canadians can communicate with foreigners more easily than they could their own compatriots?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Débatons en français alors si nous partageons vraiement une seule culture.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hey they do it down here all the time at Civil War reenactments.

In a reenactment in the South...

Saturday the Yanks win
Sunday the Rebs win

In reenactment in the North

Saturday the Rebs win
Sunday the Yanks win

You want to make the home team happy on Day 2 of the event.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"We are probably the only people who mark defeat. It’s like recalling your first spanking," Mr. Lacoursière said. The French wouldn’t celebrate their defeat at Waterloo, he said.

Au contraire mes amis!

The French DO participate in Waterloo reenactments.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
What nonsense. History is history. The french never could win a war. If the quebecors don't like it, too bad. They can always move to france....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The french never could win a war. If the quebecors don't like it, too bad. They can always move to france....

French Military History in a Nutshell

Gallic Wars: Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

Hundred Years War: Mostly lost, saved at last by a female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare - "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchmen."

Italian Wars: Lost. France becomes the first and only country ever to lose two wars when fighting Italians.

Wars of Religion: France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots.

Thirty Years' War: France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

War of Devolution: Tied; Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

The Dutch War: Tied.

War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War: Lost, but claimed as a tie. Deluded Frogophiles the world over label the period as the height of French Military Power.

War of the Spanish Succession: Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved ever since.

American Revolution: In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare: "France only wins when America does most of the fighting".

French Revolution: Won, primarily due to the fact that the opponent was also French.

The Napoleonic Wars: Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

The Franco-Prussian War: Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

WWI: Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like not only to sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

WWII: Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

War in Indochina: Lost. French forces plead sickness, take to bed with Dien Bien Flu.

Algerian Rebellion: Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a Western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare -"We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Eskimos.

War on Terrorism: France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe.

French Military Victory History in a Nutshell

They are expecting 200,000 people. In this tough economic times, I would let the French army get beat by a crack wh*re with a fly swatter as long as people are going to come and watch it.