If an election were called?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The Tories would not neccesarily win. The trend seems to be that the Tories are losing the popular support that may have won them an election a few months back.
Liberals neck-and-neck with Tories

• Article
  • Comments ( 287)
JOAN BRYDEN
The Canadian Press
January 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM EST

OTTAWA — The Liberal Party has bounced back into contention with Michael Ignatieff at the helm, a new poll suggests.
The Liberals have moved into a statistical tie with the governing Tories, according to the Nanos Research survey provided exclusively to The Canadian Press.
Liberal support stood at 34 per cent, one point ahead of the Conservatives and up eight points from the Liberals' dismal showing in the Oct. 14 election under the leadership of Stéphane Dion.
The Tories slipped almost five points from the election to 33 per cent while NDP and Green support was virtually unchanged at 19 per cent and seven per cent respectively.
The Liberal resurgence was particularly pronounced in Quebec, where the poll indicates the party vaulted into the lead with 39 per cent support to 29 per cent for the Bloc Québécois, 17 per cent for the Tories and 14 per cent for the New Democrats.
Voter enchantment with Mr. Ignatieff, who was hastily installed as leader last month, appeared to be the driving force behind the Liberal bounce.
Thirty-four per cent of respondents said they have a more favourable impression of the party since the change in leadership. Only eight per cent had a less favourable impression of the Liberals while 55 per cent reported no change.
Moreover, 23 per cent of those polled said Mr. Ignatieff would make the best prime minister — double Mr. Dion's support, although still 12 points behind Prime Minister Stephen Harper. NDP Leader Jack Layton, who used to routinely best Mr. Dion, was chosen by 15 per cent.
In Quebec, 30 per cent picked Mr. Ignatieff as best prime minister, five points more than Mr. Harper.
Pollster Nik Nanos said the survey suggests Mr. Ignatieff's ascendance to the helm has given the Liberal party a real opportunity for growth, particularly in Quebec. But he warned that honeymoons for new leaders can often be short.
“What I've found is whenever there's a new leader, before people get to know who that leader is they project positive things onto that leader,” Mr. Nanos said in an interview.
“So I think for Michael Ignatieff it is positive news but he has to be very careful because he's still a bit of a blank slate, so to speak.”
Nevertheless, Mr. Nanos said the poll indicates Mr. Harper, “who's had a bit of a free ride” thus far, is now facing a serious contender for power.
As a result, he said Conservatives might be tempted to launch a campaign aimed at painting a negative picture of Mr. Ignatieff before he has a chance to define himself — a ploy they used successfully against Mr. Dion.
But Mr. Nanos predicted such a blatantly partisan tactic in the midst of a global economic crisis would likely backfire.
“Canadian are fixated on the economy. They're worried about their jobs, they're worried about their savings,” he said.
“I think if the Conservatives embarked on what I'll say is a significant initiative to attack Michael Ignatieff and the Liberals, it will probably backfire because what it shows is Stephen Harper is focusing more on politics as opposed to jobs and the economy.”
Mr. Nanos said the survey also suggests Mr. Layton and the NDP should worry that support they picked up due to voter aversion to Mr. Dion may drift back to the Liberals under Mr. Ignatieff.
Indeed, he said the poll could foreshadow a return to a more traditional two-party, east-west dynamic in federal politics, wherein the Tories dominate the West and are competitive with the Liberals in Ontario while the Grits are strong in Quebec and Atlantic Canada.
“If the Liberals do manage to pick up support in Quebec, we're actually going back the way Canadian politics was a decade ago,” he said.
According to the survey, Liberals expanded their lead in Atlantic Canada (44 per cent to the Tories' 28) and regained a narrow lead in Ontario (39 per cent to the Tories' 35 and the NDP's 16).
The Conservatives continued to dominate western Canada, with 44 per cent to the Liberals' 24 per cent and the NDP's 23 per cent.
The telephone poll of 1,003 Canadians was conducted Jan. 3-7 and is considered accurate within 3.1 percentage points 19 times in 20.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I could think of several jobs Stephen would be good at besides Leader of the Opposition. But, at the moment they escape me! Any help out their in the aether?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well to cover both sides of the argument, both sides and their supporters claim both sides have harmed one another's rep through the past few months of stupidity.

If anything is a sure fire thing, it will be that there will be even fewer people turning out to vote the next time around then the last time.

Then again, maybe that has been the plan all along.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It seems obvious that Harper is losing credibility with Canadians. He called an early election only because he thought
he could somehow win a majority. That alone tells us that he is out of touch with Canadian's wants and needs. His campaign
had no recognisable economic platform. Calling a coalition government "undemocratic" was nonsense that everyone could
see through. He must have known that the opposition could not support his mini-budget update. His big acomplishment was
to flip flop on senate reform to appoint 18 new senators. I would say most Canadians have had enough of this guy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just hope next election I have an independent candidate to vote for. I'm not saying he'll have my vote guaranteed, but I'll be leaning towards him from the beginning. Then it'll be up to party members to convince me why I should vote for them personally.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
It seems obvious that Harper is losing credibility with Canadians. He called an early election only because he thought
he could somehow win a majority. That alone tells us that he is out of touch with Canadian's wants and needs. His campaign
had no recognisable economic platform. Calling a coalition government "undemocratic" was nonsense that everyone could
see through. He must have known that the opposition could not support his mini-budget update. His big acomplishment was
to flip flop on senate reform to appoint 18 new senators. I would say most Canadians have had enough of this guy.

Not to mention he flip flopped on the seriousness of the economy.... now either he is incompetent and completely out of touch with the reality of the nation's situaion, or he simply didn't care until he had no other choice but to care after he was backed into a corner by the other parties.

Neither is good.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I just hope next election I have an independent candidate to vote for. I'm not saying he'll have my vote guaranteed, but I'll be leaning towards him from the beginning. Then it'll be up to party members to convince me why I should vote for them personally.

For me, it won't matter if they're part of one of the major parties or an independant..... if I find someone actually with decent character, knows how to stand up for the people that vote for them, willing to put their neck on the line to get things done right (even if it means they have to go against their own party at times), and I relate with many of their principles and objectives.... then they'll get my vote.

Even if they're a part of one of the main parties, those in those parties should have the right to express their own concerns, and if they oppose something their party (or one of the main guys of the party, such as the leader) plan to do, they shouldn't just work like a yes-man/woman, they should be a part of the direction the party plans to go.

It seems to me that Harper is attempting to make the government function like how the parties function internally these days. In the parties, you all have to look like you're united and thus follow all decisions with very little questioning.....

And Harper has been trying to make all of the other parties follow him without question....... where's the democracy in either of that?

We need new men and women to get into these parties and fix the way these parties function and thus, how the government works.

Then the government might actually...... work...... for a change. Isn't that a scary thought?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This could be a damned if you do/damned if you don't kind of scenario, where it will not bode well for Canada no matter who gets in.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Vote for Spade!
Spade is kind, affectionate to small furry mammals (except for guinea pigs - I've eaten them in Peru), only lies to his enemies (which are few, generally wear Brown Shirts and claim they are foot soldiers of the new Tory government), will give every baby candy on its 30th birthday, and will retire rich on the public dime in the Bahamas.

Last edited:

WeeLeprechaun

Time Out
Jan 9, 2009
Not really in politics, but there really is no one in Canada worth voting for, they are as crooked as a dogs hind leg. And I plan on not voting in any further elections. I am soon to retire, and feel let the young have their turn. I am tired of the same old crap for the past 32 (going on 33 soon) years that I have been voting.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not really in politics, but there really is no one in Canada worth voting for, they are as crooked as a dogs hind leg. And I plan on not voting in any further elections. I am soon to retire, and feel let the young have their turn. I am tired of the same old crap for the past 32 (going on 33 soon) years that I have been voting.

It sounds like you are somewhat dis-enamoured with our country and our people. I would suggest you leave. There are many airplanes leaving every day. I'm sure you can catch one this afternoon. Don't let the door hit you on the as s on your way out. I would say I will miss you but that would be lying.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
he could somehow win a majority.

And yet he increased his seat count. It is quite obvious, he wasn't the one that was losing credibility.

Calling a coalition government "undemocratic" was nonsense that everyone could see through.

Only 28% could "see through it". I would hardly call that everyone.

I would say most Canadians have had enough of this guy.

Most Canadians didn't support him to begin with. The fact is, most Canadians have had enough of all politicians.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It sounds like you are somewhat dis-enamoured with our country and our people. I would suggest you leave. There are many airplanes leaving every day. I'm sure you can catch one this afternoon. Don't let the door hit you on the as s on your way out. I would say I will miss you but that would be lying.

That's mature.

Personally, I have no problem with people that are unhappy with the status quo. There is alot to be unhappy about. Perhaps it is you that should leave. I would say I will miss you but that would be lying.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

My experiance agrees with your's. Got any old shoes?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Love it or leave it eh. Where have I heard that before? I hope the young aren't listening.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Love it or leave it eh. Where have I heard that before? I hope the young aren't listening.

What has this to do with the young? The person, now on a time out, who I was speaking to, said there were no Canadians worth voting for. I believe he/she was wrong. The attitude this person was displaying left only one answer....That person should leave.