Youth votes

dorne

Nov 28, 2008
Hi, I happen to have missed the Canadian elections that happened a while ago. (I'm 19 now) The one reason is that I simply did not know who to vote for (and a little bit of laziness). I can say I am in Thornhill Ontario, where Peter Kent is currently the minister of state for foreign affairs (from what I gather from wiki). I do not know much about him (other than being a former news anchor), his riding, and other opposing ridings. I will start taking an interest into politics ,but it does feel wrong that not many youth were taking part in the votes.

As and inexperienced member of society, how should I base my vote on?

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Hi, I happen to have missed the Canadian elections that happened a while ago. (I'm 19 now) The one reason is that I simply did not know who to vote for (and a little bit of laziness). I can say I am in Thornhill Ontario, where Peter Kent is currently the minister of state for foreign affairs (from what I gather from wiki). I do not know much about him (other than being a former news anchor), his riding, and other opposing ridings. I will start taking an interest into politics ,but it does feel wrong that not many youth were taking part in the votes.

I just wanted to say that it's excellent to see more young people having interest in politics.

You asked what you should base your vote on...

My opinion is that you should base it on your personal needs and the needs of those you care about.

As a young voter, you need to think of things that directly affect you. Then you need to look at the different parties and look at their platform. Once you will have done that, you will be able to make a choice by weighing your needs and what the parties have to offer.

For example, I have participated in 3 federal elections and 2 provincial elections so far and I've only been allowed to vote for 6 years... In my first election, I was pissed off because of the unevolved student loan system in Canada which prevented me from succeeding college and left me with a 10000$ debt. I just could not work and go to school at the same time. Canadian youths should be financed 100% by the government to allow them to concentrate 100% on their studies. That is what my first vote was based on.

I hope this example can help you find your way. Only you can decide which party to choose...

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Funny you should mention that.

I had no idea what Peter Kent was running for in Thornhill either :S Like you, all I know about him is that he's a former Global TV anchor man who's moved to politics. As far as I know, he isn't even from Thornhill and the first I heard about him to do with Thornhill was during the election.