Deficit Spending

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Is it okay to run a deficit if it puts people to work? There is likely to be a huge run on EI and on Welfare anyway so shouldn't we get a bang for the buck?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tough Question for weird times...Back before my time (and yours?) when the Country went
through some really rough times, there where public works projects.

The Public got a bang for the buck, infrastructure got built to benefit everyone for generations
to come, and those that would have received the current equivalent of EI or Welfare were
doing something productive for everyone so they could be proud (removed the negative social
stigma). Running a deficit to put people to work, as long as it'll eventually benefit everyone (not
a bail-out to the auto industry created deficit) doesn't sound like a bad idea.

During the Depression (the one 80-90 years ago) in Regina, from what I understand, many of
the buildings on our Exhibition Grounds where built (and most are still standing and being used),
and the Lake (Wascana) that's the centerpiece of our park was dug out from a creek running
through the city, and a bridge was built (for some time it was the longest bridge over the shortest
width of water) utilizing a public works project to justify the money being given out to the
unemployed. Tough times but people out of work, had work, and would feel good about themselves.
I drove across that bridge twice yesterday.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Hey Ron,

Hopefully we do not have to return to those times.

I had forgotten how beautiful Regina is.

It's been almost twenty-five years since the last time that I was there.

rgs

NorthernSun

Electoral Member
Nov 20, 2008
Sydney, NS
That is what the Harp/Flarthey duo should be doing. More infrastructure projects to get "money back on the kitchen tables and off boardroom tables" as Jack Layton would say.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Canada is in desperate need of $121Billion in aging infrastructure, Harper will run a huge deficit. He said a modest and the picture on the wall is telling us other whys.
He will not be able to produce new jobs, he will not do anything about the Canadian aging infrastructure, he is starting to blame the economy, a clear sign that his plan is not on a solid footing and Canadians will have to except that the world is in trouble and our Government did very little. The Conservatives say they are progressive, but there is nothing progressive about huge deficits. The Conservative tradition has been secrecy and huge deficits. When would people realize, that if you want prosperity you have to have a Liberal government in place.
Looking at the financial mess America has caused to the world, it was Bush’s imperialistic right wing agenda that screwed the American people and many others attached to the American economy.
Hold on to your wallets tight, things will get very ugly here in Canada. As the world is coming to a credit economic halt, we will take a hit………..

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Canada is in desperate need of $121Billion in aging infrastructure, Harper will run a huge deficit. He said a modest and the picture on the wall is telling us other whys.
He will not be able to produce new jobs, he will not do anything about the Canadian aging infrastructure, he is starting to blame the economy, a clear sign that his plan is not on a solid footing and Canadians will have to except that the world is in trouble and our Government did very little. The Conservatives say they are progressive, but there is nothing progressive about huge deficits. The Conservative tradition has been secrecy and huge deficits. When would people realize, that if you want prosperity you have to have a Liberal government in place.
Looking at the financial mess America has caused to the world, it was Bush’s imperialistic right wing agenda that screwed the American people and many others attached to the American economy.
Hold on to your wallets tight, things will get very ugly here in Canada. As the world is coming to a credit economic halt, we will take a hit………..

The above is rambling, disjointed and completely erroneous.
And ultimately makes no sense.

We all know by now about a recession.
Just about ALL federal or national governments will be posting some kind of deficit barring a sudden and unexpected fiscal turnaround.
A little trickle-down is probably they way to go.
And all infrastructure does require periodic replenishment.
And virtually all political parties are secretive about future strategy.

Soc, you would blame heavy rainfall or an early frost on the Federal Conservatives.
Why is the big question?
When you were small did a Conservative steal your bicycle?
Did your mother run off with a Conservative door knocker?

I mean its OK to root for a particular party and all.
Lots of folks have varied political leanings.
But jeez, why make stuff up as you go?

Frankly most politicians are expedient feather bedder's.
At best.
Deep down they are all pretty much the same kind of person.

If you can find an honest, hard working politician in your own constituentency I would recommend supporting them be they Con,Lib or Independent.
But when you rabidly oppose or slavishly support a particular party solely based on party brand you can end up putting yourself in a box.

I figure the best governing party is one that is watched closely by an honest and effective opposition.
The smarter and better an official opposition party is then the greater the chances are for a decent governing party.
I figure the best politician to vote for is the one most likely to represent the will of the majority of his or her constituents.
And it never hurts if a politician actually believes what he says.
Even if its wrong.

Trex

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The above is rambling, disjointed and completely erroneous.
And ultimately makes no sense.

We all know by now about a recession.
Just about ALL federal or national governments will be posting some kind of deficit barring a sudden and unexpected fiscal turnaround.
A little trickle-down is probably they way to go.
And all infrastructure does require periodic replenishment.
And virtually all political parties are secretive about future strategy.

Soc, you would blame heavy rainfall or an early frost on the Federal Conservatives.
Why is the big question?
When you were small did a Conservative steal your bicycle?
Did your mother run off with a Conservative door knocker?

I mean its OK to root for a particular party and all.
Lots of folks have varied political leanings.
But jeez, why make stuff up as you go?

Frankly most politicians are expedient feather bedder's.
At best.
Deep down they are all pretty much the same kind of person.

If you can find an honest, hard working politician in your own constituentency I would recommend supporting them be they Con,Lib or Independent.
But when you rabidly oppose or slavishly support a particular party solely based on party brand you can end up putting yourself in a box.

I figure the best governing party is one that is watched closely by an honest and effective opposition.
The smarter and better an official opposition party is then the greater the chances are for a decent governing party.
I figure the best politician to vote for is the one most likely to represent the will of the majority of his or her constituents.
And it never hurts if a politician actually believes what he says.
Even if its wrong.

Trex

Hey Trex good day to you,
I find your rebottle to my post silly and obvious Conservative supporting.

No, a Con did not still my Bick, but a Con Brian Mulroney the deficit King cost me a 15 year business and 6 other people I had working with me as a result of stupid Conservative government and a bad economic environment created by an idiot PM who cared more about lining his pockets then taking care of Canada. By the way Harper is on record talking to brown bags.................
No my mother did not run off with a Con, did your mother run off with a Liberal?
The $121 Billion needed in aging infrastructure is real is not rumbling, the Conservative history is about red ink. Anywhere in the world a Con government has inflicted financial PAIN to it's people. You have the right to believe on the Con ideology but the real question is are the Cons good for your wallet, well millions of Americans made a swift change to that SCENARIO.. I am sure you know what I mean…..
I am not making anything up here, in a year and a half from now your wallet will suffer, and you can blame the Liberals for that……

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Hey Trex good day to you,
I find your rebottle to my post silly and obvious Conservative supporting.

No, a Con did not still my Bick, but a Con Brian Mulroney the deficit King cost me a 15 year business and 6 other people I had working with me as a result of stupid Conservative government and a bad economic environment created by an idiot PM who cared more about lining his pockets then taking care of Canada. By the way Harper is on record talking to brown bags.................
No my mother did not run off with a Con, did your mother run off with a Liberal?
The $121 Billion needed in aging infrastructure is real is not rumbling, the Conservative history is about red ink. Anywhere in the world a Con government has inflicted financial PAIN to it's people. You have the right to believe on the Con ideology but the real question is are the Cons good for your wallet, well millions of Americans made a swift change to that SCENARIO.. I am sure you know what I mean…..
I am not making anything up here, in a year and a half from now your wallet will suffer, and you can blame the Liberals for that……

Sorry soc, but he is correct. You are making prognostications without any foundation. No proof, only false suppositions. You must live with blinders on.....

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Sorry we have no money cause we are paying down the deficit...Sorry we have no money cause there is a crisis ,might have to run a deficit !!!...Noone ever seems to have any money!!..Where does all the money go??..Cycles round and round but still nobody seems to know!

I sure hope Obama knows or Canada could be in trouble!

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Good Day to you Socrates! If Canada is in need of $121,000,000,000.00 in new infrastructure,
then I'm assuming this didn't happen in less than the last three years my friend. If we're going to go
into deficit spending (and it sounds like that's the way the wind is blowing....), then infrastructure
spending is the lesser of the evils, isn't it?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Is it okay to run a deficit if it puts people to work? There is likely to be a huge run on EI and on Welfare anyway so shouldn't we get a bang for the buck?
Yes, absolutely.

Ideally, in tough times, the gov't will run deficits to work on infrastructure and other public works. Once the economy recovers, the gov't will run a surplus until it reaches par,ie, no debt, then it will maintain a revenue neutral stance until a change is needed.

Unfortunately, we pissed away this opportunity years ago, by catering to every whim of society, and we still haven't paid off the debt of our desires.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Sorry soc, but he is correct. You are making prognostications without any foundation. No proof, only false suppositions. You must live with blinders on.....

Good day Risus, what, the fact that the Conservative political tradition has been doing business by running $40Billion dollar deficits like Mr. Brown Bags did, that has no foundation or me making prognostications? the $121Billion Canadian aging infrastructure is a prognostication?
There is nothing false on what I am stating here........
The Cons are after your last penny and they will put Canada in the hole............
Truth is they don’t give a f. Lying Brian is getting his uninterrupted $100k for his pension he doesn’t care about you...but you are still paying for lying Brian’s f ups....But signs show you have voted for him........If you did not vote for him, my true apology for being so presumptuous. But if you did I can see how you and many others who voted for the Cons must feel nostalgic and you want to repeat the past, or have a blast in the past….
So you and trex don’t like me talking the way I do, because the truth is the truth and when you see the truth you must embrace it…..many people find the truth hard to except…. as the truth…….

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Good day Risus, what, the fact that the Conservative political tradition has been doing business by running $40Billion dollar deficits like Mr. Brown Bags did, that has no foundation or me making prognostications? the $121Billion Canadian aging infrastructure is a prognostication?
There is nothing false on what I am stating here........
The Cons are after your last penny and they will put Canada in the hole............
Truth is they don’t give a f. Lying Brian is getting his uninterrupted $100k for his pension he doesn’t care about you...but you are still paying for lying Brian’s f ups....But signs show you have voted for him........If you did not vote for him, my true apology for being so presumptuous. But if you did I can see how you and many others who voted for the Cons must feel nostalgic and you want to repeat the past, or have a blast in the past….
So you and trex don’t like me talking the way I do, because the truth is the truth and when you see the truth you must embrace it…..many people find the truth hard to except…. as the truth…….
Quote Soc:
because the truth is the truth and when you see the truth you mus
Unquote.

Is that like the old "proof is a proof when proven as a proof" or whatever it was that Chretien
confounded the world with?

Nah,Soc your posts are just rambling, contorted, drivel.
I guess you don't even realize that most of the stuff you say makes virtually no sense.
I guess its only scary if you believe it yourself.

Think about it Soc,
when you make stuff up as you go,
and then convince yourself its true .
Its time for happy pills and a tinfoil hat.

Trex

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Quote Soc:
because the truth is the truth and when you see the truth you mus
Unquote.

Is that like the old "proof is a proof when proven as a proof" or whatever it was that Chretien
confounded the world with?

Nah,Soc your posts are just rambling, contorted, drivel.
I guess you don't even realize that most of the stuff you say makes virtually no sense.
I guess its only scary if you believe it yourself.

Think about it Soc,
when you make stuff up as you go,
and then convince yourself its true .
Its time for happy pills and a tinfoil hat.

Trex

Hey Trex tomorrow is Thursday do you know what is taking place in Ottawa?

Wait wait you are about to witness Harper getting a beating in the house and you know a humiliating beating, picture this, 4 parties who hold the balance of power can bring the Cons down. We talk tomorrow, after the day is past....
The Cons persist in the slashing $30million and Harper has declared war in the house, that means that soon we may see the Cons getting humiliated and defeated in the house.

TheStar.com | Canada | Tories expected to slash party funding

"Finance Minister Jim Flaherty will ask the five political parties to give up the $1.95-per-vote subsidy they get to pay for staff and expenses.
Opposition parties are likely to see the measure as a declaration of war only weeks after the election because of the Conservatives' commanding strength in fund raising.
The president of the Treasury Board rejected that suggestion.
"It would hurt us the most," said Vic Toews, although he refused to confirm the measure publicly.
Such a measure would cost the cash-strapped Liberals $7.7 million, the NDP $4.9 million, while the Bloc Quebecois would take a $2.6-million hit and the fledgling Green Party would be out $1.8 million."

Fact is fact and you argue with fact it makes you look bad.....and miss informed....

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
You libs are so stupid its sickening. The Conservatives are damned if they do, damned if they don't by your logic. You want the government to spend, but not run a deficit. If the government cuts to save, you want them to spend. You can't have it both ways. Soc's ramblings don't make any sense, he lives with blinders on, has a one track mind, sounds like a broken record and spouts crap. Scratch just laps it all up.