Who should replace Harper?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In two federal elections, Harper has not been able to excite the people of this country into giving him a majority....A lot of pundits think Harper lost a winnable majority in the last election because he upset Quebecers in the final week of campaigning.
I'm sure the Liberals will be putting forward one of the younger guys like J.Kennedy who will eat Harper for breakfast. In the last election Harper got as close as he will ever get to a majority....I's time for new blood all around.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
In two federal elections, Harper has not been able to excite the people of this country into giving him a majority....A lot of pundits think Harper lost a winnable majority in the last election because he upset Quebecers in the final week of campaigning.
I'm sure the Liberals will be putting forward one of the younger guys like J.Kennedy who will eat Harper for breakfast. In the last election Harper got as close as he will ever get to a majority....I's time for new blood all around.

#juan....that's wide open....need to think on it.
Later,
scratch

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Each election he's been in he's improved the party standing, no wonder you Liberals want him out.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Deborah Grey would be a good replacement for Stephen Harper.

She likes leather and only she can whip the Conservative MPs into shape.

The Conservative party needs a good motorcycle mama to get a majority.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Each election he's been in he's improved the party standing, no wonder you Liberals want him out.

On the contrary, I hope the keep him around. Funny thing....During the last election campaign, one major party leader said,"I love America". The other major leader said,"I love Canada". Can you guess who said what?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Good luck with that.......after all Harper has united his party, increased his standing in Parliament......and pulled us into the ever-popular Canadian middle-of-the-road.....

Harper will be around for the next election......and probably the one after that........

Who will the Liberals choose?

Bob Rae has some baggage in Ontario......and will not pull the party back towards the middle where it needs to be to regain votes.

Michael Ignatief? Love to see the Libs yap on about Harper being too pro-American then.....to say nothing of the Iraq thing! :)Although Ignatief would take the party back to the middle....

Maybe Kennedy.....I don't know much about him, but he seems a good choice.....but he is not a front runner.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Isn't it odd that it almost ALWAYS seems to be die-hard conservatives saying Ignatieff is THE choice for the liberals-
I only point it out cos now Colpy has come full-circle, from suggesting he is the best to somehow ridiculing "liberals" for "choosing" him in the first place. I don't want that traitor anywhere near the highest offices and I think you'll find that most people of a liberal bent (NOT card carrying Liberals necessarily, a lot of them types actually like him and his corporate idealism) feel somewhat similar

A con ridiculing their own pet nomination for Liberal leader- priceless!!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Isn't it odd that it almost ALWAYS seems to be die-hard conservatives saying Ignatieff is THE choice for the liberals-
I only point it out cos now Colpy has come full-circle, from suggesting he is the best to somehow ridiculing "liberals" for "choosing" him in the first place. I don't want that traitor anywhere near the highest offices and I think you'll find that most people of a liberal bent (NOT card carrying Liberals necessarily, a lot of them types actually like him and his corporate idealism) feel somewhat similar

This guy is new to me.....

Rae and Ignatief - the stage is set

April 5, 2006 · Print This Article

Looks like Bob Rae and Michael Ignatief will face off for the Liberal Leadership. Some of you may not know (or care) that theirs is a friendship and rivalry that goes back; way back. In fact, their fathers were also friends and rivals.
But while Rae, the social democrat, opted for politics, Ignatieff, the liberal, carved out a career as an academic, writer and political commentator. “I’m the thinker, and he’s the doer,� says Ignatieff. “The doer always knows more about what’s possible politically. If he had gone into the Liberal party, there’s no limit to what he could have done. That he went into the NDP put a ceiling on how far he could go. He taught me a lot about conviction and paying the price of conviction.�

Everyone get that?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

I wasn't ridiculing Ignatief at all..........I think he would be a reasonable choice......a man is hardly a "traitor" for working at ivy league universities in the USA. Indeed, your anti-Americanism is showing........would he be a "traitor" if he worked at Oxford, or the Sorbonne?

It is just that with Ignatief as leader, one could hardly attack Harper for being pro_american......

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Umm that's what I meant Colpy, most of the folks who don't like the pro-american stance of Harper dislike Ignatieff for the same reason- your snide "love to see the Libs yack on" was a ridiculous statement since many are against Ignatieff for that very reason- the way you posted it, it came off as "Oh yeah watch the 'Libs' change their tune once they are 'supporting' Ignatieff, it'l be funny and hypocritical" (at least that's what I got from it) whereas most folks I know do NOT support him as a wise choice given his super pro-us stance and likely dual citizenship- if the Cons can complain about Dion being too cozy with the French, I see no reason not to have serious misgivings about electing a de-facto American to lead our country

It's just that most of the time when I hear Ignatieff as the best choice for Liberal leadership, it is coming out of the mouth of a Conservative and I find it funny, just like the Cons love Harpers nose in the US crack, they see fit to suggest that any pro-american politician is the clear winner in any race

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Despite Harper's failure to secure a majority with Dion as leader of the Liberals I think he is the best leader for that party right now. The pool to choose from within the CPC is weak at best on the front of being able to be liberal enough for the Canadian public, Harper has moved way to the center to get votes, not sure guys like Farty and Clement would abandon their ideology in the same fashion. The only other guy I could see at this time is Peter Mcbackstab who is from the old Tory party.

As long as Harper sells his soul to get votes he's the guy.;-)

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Despite Harper's failure to secure a majority with Dion as leader of the Liberals I think he is the best leader for that party right now. The pool to choose from within the CPC is weak at best on the front of being able to be liberal enough for the Canadian public, Harper has moved way to the center to get votes, not sure guys like Farty and Clement would abandon their ideology in the same fashion. The only other guy I could see at this time is Peter Mcbackstab who is from the old Tory party.

As long as Harper sells his soul to get votes he's the guy.;-)

Good day Avro,

he may be the guy for the time being for the Tories, but not the guy for the country, and having to sell his soul and move to the center when Tory tradition shows extrema mean right, I think Harper has not moved to the center right if anything Harper knows where the line on the sand is from extreme right to center and all he has done selling his soul is to just extend his arm to the center and pretend, his feet are still sitting on the extreme right territory................... just my opinion, knowing Harper is a lying manipulator a cheat as his predecessor..

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Good day Avro,

he may be the guy for the time being for the Tories, but not the guy for the country, and having to sell his soul and move to the center when Tory tradition shows extrema mean right, I think Harper has not moved to the center right if anything Harper knows where the line on the sand is from extreme right to center and all he has done selling his soul is to just extend his arm to the center and pretend, his feet are still sitting on the extreme right territory................... just my opinion, knowing Harper is a lying manipulator a cheat as his predecessor..

Under Harper government spending has increased, hardly the line being fed to cons around the country. Paul Martin is more of a con than Harper is, at least politically.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Under Harper government spending has increased, hardly the line being fed to cons around the country. Paul Martin is more of a con than Harper is, at least politically.

aaaaaaaa, I don't know about Martin being a closet Con, if anything Martin is a true capitalist....

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
aaaaaaaa, I don't know about Martin being a closet Con, if anything Martin is a true capitalist....

He is both, nothing wrong with that.

He, in my opinion was the best finance minster we ever had. During the Liberal reign my buisness grew 1000%...thanks Paul.;-)

.....and Jean.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
He is both, nothing wrong with that.

He, in my opinion was the best finance minster we ever had. During the Liberal reign my buisness grew 1000%...thanks Paul.;-)

.....and Jean.
My business enjoyed sustainability during the Canadian Liberal years, I took a dive when Alibaba and the 90 thrives came into power...................Alibaba or Brian Brown Bags....