Liberal leader Stephan Dion Steps down

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
It’s leadership time again and the Conservatives will have to worry because a new leader will be picked to take on the Government.

The Conservatives should of won the election with a majority but Harper shot himself in the foot in the last few weeks of the election that lost him the support of Quebec.

There are a lot of good leaders to choose from the Team whom ever it is the Conservative’s day is numbered.

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
There are a lot of good leaders to choose from the Team
There is no "good liberal leader" it's a contradiction in terms ; atleast not since 1968 .
whom ever it is the Conservative’s day is numbered
Just remember this......liberals are gone, for along time , the next election the Conservatives will get the majority which they deserve .

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
There is no "good liberal leader" it's a contradiction in terms ; atleast not since 1968 .

Just remember this......liberals are gone, for along time , the next election the Conservatives will get the majority which they deserve .

If the Conservative Party got what they deserved, they'd all be painted yellow and buried upright, navals deep in a doggie park....

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
If the Conservative Party got what they deserved, they'd all be painted yellow and buried upright, navals deep in a doggie park....
Well thats your opinion and you sound like a whining poor loser. Obviously a lot of people in Canada don't agree with you.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well thats your opinion and you sound like a whining poor loser. Obviously a lot of people in Canada don't agree with you.

No, in fact only 26 out of every 100 registered voters agrees with the Conservatives. That's 18 out of every 100 Canadians.

The majority do not endorse the Conservatives, though that doesn't mean they think the Conservatives deserve the Wolf treatment :D

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, look at various "are you satisfied with the election results" polls after the fact- most of them feature a number around 80% displeased. How a person could be so stupid as to not understand the facts when presented as simple numbers is beyond me

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

Um....67% of Canadians voted against the cons.....and only 59% voted.....dosen't sound like a lot to me.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
It’s leadership time again and the Conservatives will have to worry because a new leader will be picked to take on the Government.

The Conservatives should of won the election with a majority but Harper shot himself in the foot in the last few weeks of the election that lost him the support of Quebec.

There are a lot of good leaders to choose from the Team whom ever it is the Conservative’s day is numbered.

Your thread title and subject are a little premature:

Liberals quash rumours of Dion's imminent departure
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/10/16/dion-plans.html

Liberal officials are denying reports that federal Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion is planning to step down as early as Thursday.

The Toronto Star had cited Liberal party insiders who said Dion would make the announcement on Thursday then stay on as leader until a successor is chosen.

But a spokeswoman for Dion said the Liberal leader will make no such announcement on Thursday and that her office will inform the media when Dion is ready to speak.

She added he won't speak to the media on Thursday.

Dion avoided the subject of his future as party leader in the immediate aftermath of Tuesday's federal election, in which his party lost 19 seats and received only 26 per cent of the popular support.

The Globe and Mail, meanwhile, citing senior Liberal party members, reported Thursday that Dion would face pressure to declare quickly that he will end his leadership and let the party start procedures to replace him.

The paper quoted one well-connected party member as suggesting that if Dion didn't announce his departure promptly, the party should move the furniture out of his office.

"How do you do a putsch on a guy who doesn't understand he's being putsched?" the Globe quoted the unidentified Liberal as saying.

After Tuesday's election results, political consultant David Herle, who chaired the two previous Liberal campaigns, said the party will hold Dion responsible for what he described as a "crushingly bad defeat."

"We are now again, virtually irrelevant in Western Canada and have lost the beachhead we had in British Columbia. The problems in Quebec remain widespread and deep. The NDP and Greens are encroaching on the Liberal party's territory from the left."

Dion, who served as intergovernmental affairs minister under Jean Chrétien and environment minister under Paul Martin, claimed the mantle of party leader on Dec. 2, 2006.

His victory came as a surprise to most after he finished third with less than 18 per cent of the vote on the first ballot.

But with the backing of leadership candidate Gerard Kennedy, Dion was able to vault past the two star candidates Michael Ignatieff and Bob Rae.

He only vaulted past them because each candidtate dropped out one after the other to support Dion for some dumbass reason..... until it was just Dion and Ignatieff..... eventually for unity purposes, Ignatieff dropped out and therefore there was only one person to choose..... Dion.... and this is what happens when you screw around with the system.

He was third place for a reason. You don't just decide to drop out and back the 3rd place guy for sh*ts and giggles.

However, Dion's leadership style soon came into question when he directed MPs to abstain on key confidence votes, reasoning that Canadians did not want to go to the polls. Party officials privately said the strategy made the party look weak and others pressured Dion to trigger an election.

One of my biggest issues in the Liberals and his leadership..... do your damn job and if it means an election would be called, so be it.... that's the job.

But Dion refused. Instead, he eventually unveiled the Green Shift. Dion said the carbon tax plan, aimed at weaning people off fossil fuels, would be revenue neutral and offset by broad-based business and personal tax cuts.

When Canadians eventually went to the polls, the policy had become the centrepiece of the Liberal platform.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who, leading up to the election, had dismissed the plan as nothing but a cash grabbing device to raise taxes, continued to pounce on it during the campaign. Harper warned there would be dire economic consequences were the plan implemented.

Some observers say Dion was never able to sell the plan well and counter the criticisms effectively, leading to the party's misfortunes on election night.

Yup... him and the Liberals screwed up royally.... he should be canned..... but claiming that he has decided this already is premature.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
no, it was signed "coward" ;)

I'd be interesting if such comments HAD to include the user ID of the one sending them- I personally always sign mine nasty or not, but I wonder if such comments would dry up??

Meh, I kinda like the "trophy rack of cowards" anyways, I giggle when I read "their best" which is why I shared it.

Sorry to go off-topic I just found it rather absurd

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I don't normally give neg reps unless the person is really..... and I mean really asking for it.

We all get them, including your's truly..... I know... hard to believe, but it's true..... I guess we all can't be perfect with our views.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I don't normally give neg reps unless the person is really..... and I mean really asking for it.

We all get them, including your's truly..... I know... hard to believe, but it's true..... I guess we all can't be perfect with our views.

We can all fall into that abyss!

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
No, in fact only 26 out of every 100 registered voters agrees with the Conservatives. That's 18 out of every 100 Canadians.

The majority do not endorse the Conservatives, though that doesn't mean they think the Conservatives deserve the Wolf treatment :D
Bud, you should learn to read. I never said 'majority' because I know it wasn't true. What I said was 'a lot of people'. Thats a big difference.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

Hey China good day to you, the leading question to you is, DID YOU LITERALLY VOTE in this Canadian election…………?
If you did not vote, you are taking cheap………………..your opinion is useless……..
One thing you will never be able to change in this life, is the Canadian Liberal history….
Canada is traditionally a Liberal loving Country. The Conservatives are closet bigots, and this mandate they just got doesn’t give them a green light, if anything they are crossing the intersection on an amber light, I am sure you understand that. Just wait in the next 2 years the Cons will make Canada wear a $10Billion deficit……. If you or anyone else is day dreaming that after such possible financial deficit the Cons will win a majority next time, keep on dreaming it looks good on you….. Respond only if you voted in this last Canadian general election…….

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Bud, you should learn to read. I never said 'majority' because I know it wasn't true. What I said was 'a lot of people'. Thats a big difference.

You use undefined words. I'll stick with real numbers. You implied a lot, and I think alot in fact don't agree with Conservatives. Granted alot of people don't agree with Wolf. Even 1% of 33,000,000 is "a lot of people." What does "a lot" say about deserving?