Should the province of Alberta share it's oil profits?

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Alberta should give British Columbia some money from oil sales, cuz we're so awesome, and they should be grateful that they live next to us.

They should also share with Saskatchewan, cuz they're the poorest province, and they are right next to the richest province. And that's not fair. What ever happened to brotherly/neighbourly love?

I dare a reply.:p

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Saskatchewan can have it's own oil profits if they drill. BC is doing fine without it.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Saskatchewan can have it's own oil profits if they drill. BC is doing fine without it.

Yeah, um, Alberta has too much money. More than they need. The rest of the country needs that money...for various reasons.

BC has homeless people, and Saskatchewan is cold, very, very cold.

Plus, don't like Alberta. They suck.:smile::roll::roll:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Alberta's sharing a whole lot of their revenue as it is. It wasn't the Auto Indutry that
pushed the Canadian dollar up to $1.10 American a while back, and is keeping it above the
$0.90 mark even with the falling oil prices. Saskatchewan is coming into its own at this
time also. BC is a nice place, with its own oil, just like Saskatchewan.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
If you don't like your province then move. If you like it then your going to have to put up with it's relative poverty. That is part of the provinces "way of life;" the price of living there.

Sort of like part of the "way of life" of being a bum is missing the odd meal.

Get over it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Considering that the government of Canada (we the people) have been subsidizing the hell out of the oil patch for decades then yes, they should.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Federal Government make a whole lot more money off
of Alberta's oil than the Alberta Government itself does? Investing in the Alberta oil fields was an
investment that Canada made that has paid off many many times over already, and continues to
do so.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Federal Government make a whole lot more money off
of Alberta's oil than the Alberta Government itself does? Investing in the Alberta oil fields was an
investment that Canada made that has paid off many many times over already, and continues to
do so.

I don't know if it takes more, does it?

Canada is still subsidizing the oil patch......why?

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
do so.

Yes your right. But maybe the Feds should get all money and dish it our accordingly. We are talking about billions and billions of dollars here. If we were smart we could use it to solve some problems across the nation....

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
If you don't like your province then move. If you like it then your going to have to put up with it's relative poverty. That is part of the provinces "way of life;" the price of living there.

Sort of like part of the "way of life" of being a bum is missing the odd meal.

Get over it.

I don't like all of Canada, but I'm stuck here... so what should I do Scott Free? Off myself?
Judging by your poverty comments, I guess you've never gone hungry?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Judging by your poverty comments, I guess you've never gone hungry?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe you should spend a little less time judging and more time examining. If you blame others for your circumstance then you are giving them all the power. If you recognize the reason your stuck is because of something your doing you'll be able to pull yourself out of your circumstance because that gives you the power.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Maybe you should spend a little less time judging and more time examining. If you blame others for your circumstance then you are giving them all the power. If you recognize the reason your stuck is because of something your doing you'll be able to pull yourself out of your circumstance because that gives you the power.

Well said.:smile:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
stop me if i'm wrong but don't the rich provinces give money and the poor provinces get money from some kind of equalisation deal? There's a lot of talk about newfoundland and labrador becoming a "have" province and ontario becoming a "have not"

northernserf

Sep 13, 2008
Northern Alberta
Alberta , rich??

I've lived here for 30 years and still haven't seen any wealth!
Highest fuel prices, electricity prices, food is way more expensive here than in BC, Gov't has a deficit of over 10 billion they don't like to admit to, and don't even have money to paint lines on the highways.... Yeah, everyone drives expensive pickups and lives in fancy houses because we went through a Credit Boom not an oil boom.
The forests are gone (sold off cheap), the gas is gone (sold off cheap, we are now into coalbed methane), and Ft.McMurray oil sands is mostly in the hands of foreign companies, and the farmers are just barely making ends meet.
We burn wood to heat our homes, can't afford heating oil.
Sorry bout the bad news, there's nothing to share!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I don't think masturbation is always the answer to poverty Scott.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
stop me if i'm wrong but don't the rich provinces give money and the poor provinces get money from some kind of equalisation deal? There's a lot of talk about newfoundland and labrador becoming a "have" province and ontario becoming a "have not"

Theoretically this is correct, but, in practice wealth does not flow from rich to poor under any normal circumstances. I believe it's explained in thermodynamics.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Sort of like part of the "way of life" of being a bum is missing the odd meal.""quote

Hey, I tried that (hoboing a bit) years and years ago, and had fun doing it. Did in fact miss the odd meal, but people used to hire me for a day er two to pile some wood, help with chores, wash windows - whatever. And I usually ate with them..

Spent a lot of time bushwacking around lakes, fishing, usually with a line wrapped around a coke bottle which acted as the reel, and sleepin out. Some would call it living rough, but I was always clean and kept me clothes mended and hair cut. Which is probably why I was hired on for short term help. No one ran, got a gun, or locked the door.

Sorry for the hijack...............NOT...............

Yah, leave the goddam province or whatever......................I guess.

:lol:

Reactions: Outta here

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Alberta shares plenty, it's thanks to its oil wealth that the ROC is doing a lot better than it would relying solely on Ontarios faltering manufacturing industry. As for Sakatchewan they will be as wealthy as Alberta once their infrastructure is on par with us. their share of the oil sands are about 50 to 60 % the size of Albertas 550 - 750 billion bbls I should imagine - not to mention their conventional deposits which they've hardly touched. From what I understand(and I could be off,feel free to rip me a new one if i'm wrong) Alberta contributes 9000.00 per man, woman, and child to equalization- about 27 billion.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Alberta was pretty much a have-not province until Leduc #1, 2, & 3 in 1947. Imperial Oil had over a hundred dry holes by that time so it could have been a lot different.