How dumb is Bush?

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I thought I would chuck this one out and see how it fares amongst the leftist pack.

National Post has an article on a recent book which posits that Bush really is not dumb at
all.
Bush was Phi Beta Kappa at Yale, has degrees from both Yale and Harvard, always got pretty good grades (even in junior and senior high) and has a measured I.Q in the 120's.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...zer-the-arrogance-of-uneducated-liberals.aspx

Gore, Kerry, Senator Bill Bradly and pundit Michael Moore are apparantly not quite up
to Mr.Bush's intellectual hights.
Their scolastic records indicate far lesser brainpower is shared among the liberal elite.

Quote"
Yet Gore, with high school Bs and Cs (his only As were in art), got into Harvard in part because (like other politicians’ sons, including a raft of Kennedys) his father was a famous senator. At Harvard, Gore’s grades did not improve. In his sophomore year he earned a D, a C-minus, two Cs, two C-pluses and one B-minus. He was in the bottom fifth of his class his first two years in school. Later he flunked out of divinity school (failing five of his eight classes) and dropped out of Vanderbilt University Law School. Gore was once asked (after having served in the U.S. Senate for several years) to name his favourite president. “President Knox,” he replied."
Unquote.

Both the Clintons's are accepted as being highly intelligent.

I wonder how Obama actually rates?

Trex

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I thought I would chuck this one out and see how it fares amongst the leftist pack.

National Post has an article on a recent book which posits that Bush really is not dumb at
all.
Bush was Phi Beta Kappa at Yale, has degrees from both Yale and Harvard, always got pretty good grades (even in junior and senior high) and has a measured I.Q in the 120's.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...zer-the-arrogance-of-uneducated-liberals.aspx

Gore, Kerry, Senator Bill Bradly and pundit Michael Moore are apparantly not quite up
Their scolastic records indicate far lesser brainpower is shared among the liberal elite.

Quote"
Yet Gore, with high school Bs and Cs (his only As were in art), got into Harvard in part because (like other politicians’ sons, including a raft of Kennedys) his father was a famous senator. At Harvard, Gore’s grades did not improve. In his sophomore year he earned a D, a C-minus, two Cs, two C-pluses and one B-minus. He was in the bottom fifth of his class his first two years in school. Later he flunked out of divinity school (failing five of his eight classes) and dropped out of Vanderbilt University Law School. Gore was once asked (after having served in the U.S. Senate for several years) to name his favourite president. “President Knox,” he replied."
Unquote.

Trex

Trex,

High or low intelligence is possessed by these people! It has never shown in their actions.

But to each his own. Obama could play Poitier or Washington in something.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Trex,

High or low intelligence is possessed by these people! It has never shown in their actions.

But to each his own. Obama could play Poitier or Washington in something.

Hey Trex,

Welcome to 3C, CCC or CanCon.

Some advice to (damn, I hate posting on myself) you. You are a Newbie and a lot of people will test your metal.
We have a great group of people but over all I (IMO) think that we are a little off centre.
Always remember: be polite, stay way from things outside your realm of knowledge and............always stand your ground with grace, politeness and respect for the other......never forget to stay COOL, CALM & COLLECTED.........be self-assured in what you are saying and posting and you'll do just fine.

Again nice to have you on board......do not get discouraged....it works out.

scratch

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

all.

Quote"
Unquote.

Trex

I have absolutely no doubt that Al Gore is a drooling idiot..........and a con man.

I have always though Bush was under-rated for intelligence, but he also has no common sense. The most intelligent guy I ever met lives in a shack in the woods and is completely anti-social. He is also a history professor of some fame in his area, invited to speak at conferences world-wide. I really like the guy......would I trust the leadership of the free world to him?

Not Bloody likely!

I have no doubt the Obamas (both of them) leave both Bush and McCain in the dust when it comes to IQ numbers.

But intelligence of that type is over-rated.

McCain has the experience, the principles, the spirit, the determination, the character that Obama........I was going to say lacks, but that would be unfair.........that has not revealed itself in Obama.......he is largely unknown.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I too have a bit of a problem believing all the anti Bush rhetoric and thats why I made the original post.

It was always my theory that anyone who became President or Prime Minister more or less had it together just by merit of obtaining the position.

I never thought that Bush was a particularly good President. He has, without question, made some hideous blunders.
And how he got re-elected for the second term I do not know.

Having said that I still think he is a reasonably smart man.

Even money says he will do just fine after politics and would do so even without the help and financial assistance of all his newfound "friends".

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I wonder how intelligent is J.Chreatin or the former PET or the ones who voted them in.

Trudeau was brilliant.

And I hate the SOB, but his intellectual abilities are beyond dispute.

He was an elitist arrogant bastard, who saw himself as the philosipher king.......who attached no importance to any one below his elevated position.

He view of the world in general, and Canada in particular, was seriously flawed, IMHO, but there is no doubting his IQ.

Chretien is bright.....in the same way that a successful Mafia Don has to be bright. His intelligence is completely devoid of any ethical element, it consists only of survival strategies. A nasty piece of work, that boy.

I'm not sure which is worse.

And people wonder why I loathe the Liberal Party of Canada.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Regardless of how smart someone is, a leader is one who can convey a vision, convince people to buy into common goals and bring people together to work toward them. It doesn't matter what IQ's they have, if they can't do the above they're in the wrong line of work.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Regardless of how smart someone is, a leader is one who can convey a vision, convince people to buy into common goals and bring people together to work toward them. It doesn't matter what IQ's they have, if they can't do the above they're in the wrong line of work.

Well said.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Trudeau was brilliant.
Brilliant.....? intelligent ?.... in what....?

Chretien is bright.....in the same way that a successful Mafia Don has to be bright. His ntelligence is completely devoid of any ethical element, it consists only of survival strategies. A nasty piece of work, that boy
So this is a mentality of majority of Canadians,right ? ....lasted 11 years , wow ? Just joking .I think he won a majority with less than 40% .
And people wonder why I loathe the Liberal Party of Canada.
...........me too.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
What a perky discussion!

I am always interested in comparisons of IQ and leadership potential.

Some very high IQ - Mensa candidates - prefer to function on a solo mission having very little ability to communicate with others, and less patience to explain at a 'lesser' level.
What might be of huge concern to a regular member of our society (which includes most of us), may not even register with one who prefers to make decisions on a different plane of thought.

A good leader must be immersed in human experience and the more ability he/she has to
identify with the people and their goals for their nation, would be a primary criterion for
electing a leader in government or any other position requiring leadership and future planning.

Another attribute would be a person who has had to work to gain an individual sense of achievement and responsibility for self.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I forget his name but the guy who wrote about 100 books on Winston Churchill claimed his leadership success was based on his ability to not only have a vision but to communicate that vision and have people buy into it. That's the same way I've always felt.

It's no different from running a company. A company may have a temporary blip of success when run by the likes of "Chainsaw Al" but if it alienates employees it will ultimately fail. A leader who alienates and divides will lead whatever he/she is leading down the toilet, sooner or later.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
IQ does not mean one gets high grades in school nor does it mean one will be successful in life.

I think the problem with IQ is that no-one can really pinpoint what intelligence is. Is it the retention of knowledge? Is it the potential to learn? Is it the ability to use the knowledge one has acquired? Is it comprehension? Is it reasoning? I think it is all of the above and more. I think this because we really still don't know the abilities of the brain and what a mind is.

Besides that individuals score differently at different times. One may have an IQ of 105 one day and the next day their IQ is 98. Or They may have an IQ of 98 when they are tired and 110 after a good snooze.

At any rate, I have heard GWB has an IQ in the mid 120s, too. I just don't think it's very easy for him to put himself in anyone else's shoes. I also think he's a little shy on the ability to reason and is also easy to manipulate.

Last edited:

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
Elections don't have much to do with the candidates intelligence, they have to do with organizing and getting out the vote...unless you live in Alberta where all that is required is to run as a Conservative.

Bush won both elections largely because he had recruited Karl Rove, who is about as close to a mastermind in this field in the US these days as you are going to find. I have heard several Republicans say that bringing Rove into the McCain campaign would greatly improve McCain's chances.

Bush isn't stupid and even though he beat most people on an IQ test, those tests are overrated anyways.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have absolutely no doubt that Al Gore is a drooling idiot..........and a con man.

Some might not agree.
Gore graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in government cum laude on June 12, 1969.[26] The Washington Post described his commencement ceremonies as a "Sixties period piece" of tradition and chaos. This included the moment when "President Nathan Pusey delivered his time-honored welcoming of the graduates to 'the company of educated men,' [and] hundreds of seniors rose from their folding chairs, raised their fists in defiance, and walked out."[27]

Gore had basic training at Fort Dix from August to October, and then was assigned to be a journalist at Fort Rucker, Alabama. In April 1970, he was "Soldier of the Month."[29][14] On May 19, 1970, Gore married Tipper at the Washington National Cathedral.[14][31]
Gore with the 20th Engineer Brigade in Bien Hoa as a journalist with the paper, The Castle Courier.

His orders to be sent to Vietnam were "held up" for some time and he suspected that this was due to a fear by the Nixon administration that if something happened to him, his father would gain sympathy votes.[28] He was finally shipped to Vietnam on January 2, 1971, after his father had lost his seat in the Senate during the 1970 Senate election,[32][33] one "of only about a dozen of the 1,115 Harvard graduates in the Class of '69 who went to Vietnam."[29] Gore was stationed with the 20th Engineer Brigade in Bien Hoa and was a journalist with the paper, The Castle Courier.[34]He received an honorable discharge from the Army in May 1971.[14]

Maybe Al Gore saw Bush in VietNam..........maybe not...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Well anyway, I don't think Bush is particularly dumb, just fairly limited in various abilities and has a somewhat sociopathic set of principles and habits.

You have reminded me that Bush has a terrible Verbal IQ - in other words he does not speak well or organize his thoughts. Perhaps his other published (whether accurate or not) IQ - which is a general knowledge one I think might bring out a higher score on things
he is more familiar with.

Some very high IQ people cannot communicate with many others at all unless it is on one or two of their pet topics which may so far into the stratosphere nobody can bear to listen to them.

IQ is not a very satisfactory measure of a leader in politics or business or education or charitable work - a leader has to have a good support system going but still has to be able to extend the good ideas to the people either by word or deed.

And there is that old bugaboo .... "You can't please all the people all the time...... "

If I had my druthers I would rather hook up a politician to a lie detector when he/she is making a speech. Now that would be interesting.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You have reminded me that Bush has a terrible Verbal IQ - in other words he does not speak well or organize his thoughts. Perhaps his other published (whether accurate or not) IQ - which is a general knowledge one I think might bring out a higher score on things
he is more familiar with.

Some very high IQ people cannot communicate with many others at all unless it is on one or two of their pet topics which may so far into the stratosphere nobody can bear to listen to them.

IQ is not a very satisfactory measure of a leader in politics or business or education or charitable work - a leader has to have a good support system going but still has to be able to extend the good ideas to the people either by word or deed.

And there is that old bugaboo .... "You can't please all the people all the time...... "

If I had my druthers I would rather hook up a politician to a lie detector when he/she is making a speech. Now that would be interesting.

Don't go to the expense. They always look to to left when speaking and after they have been asked a question. Need I say more.