Off-shore oil drilling - good or bad?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
(This is a link and cut n paste-free thread. Discussion only. Non conforming posts will be removed).

Should off-shore drilling be allowed/promoted? Yes, no, why?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Off shore oil drilling should be banned.So should fishing so should clearcutting so should sport hunting car racing and war. They're all destructive activities but they're also necessitys of the civilization. It's a very complex question that requires classified information to properly analyze and present a rational answer. We don't even know where oil comes from.

You know if consumtion of oil had not been directly hitched to capital aquisition the efficiency and environmental issues would have been solved seven or eight decades ago and the question wouldunlikely come up. PFO paste free opinion:smile:

Reactions: Kreskin

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In my experience, offshore drillers are more environmentally conscious. Their spills and screw ups are more visible, more obvious, and they're highly aware of the impact they can have. The guys who drill on land have to build roads, cutting wide swaths through habitat, to open up their leases. And they end up being of the mentality that the earth will hide their screw ups. Oil soaking into soil doesn't phase them the same way that an oil slick on water would concern someone.

I have to take into consideration too the effect of the drilling area on the life around it. Where hubby goes for training on the Gulf Coast, he's been offered trips out to the rigs to go fishing, because they're prime fish habitat, forming artificial reefs. When's the last time you got invited out to a drilling lease or a road to check out the teeming wildlife? They're barren, clear cut scars across the face of the earth. Personally, I wonder at which has more environmental impact.

As a necessary evil, I'd almost lean towards offshore drilling as being more environmentally sound than the onshore we do.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
In my experience, offshore drillers are more environmentally conscious. Their spills and screw ups are more visible, more obvious, and they're highly aware of the impact they can have. The guys who drill on land have to build roads, cutting wide swaths through habitat, to open up their leases. And they end up being of the mentality that the earth will hide their screw ups. Oil soaking into soil doesn't phase them the same way that an oil slick on water would concern someone.

I have to take into consideration too the effect of the drilling area on the life around it. Where hubby goes for training on the Gulf Coast, he's been offered trips out to the rigs to go fishing, because they're prime fish habitat, forming artificial reefs. When's the last time you got invited out to a drilling lease or a road to check out the teeming wildlife? They're barren, clear cut scars across the face of the earth. Personally, I wonder at which has more environmental impact.

As a necessary evil, I'd almost lean towards offshore drilling as being more environmentally sound than the onshore we do.

Last paragraph--good thought!

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Ahh.. a topic near and dear to my heart.
or perhaps it's my wallet.

I am a Canadian drilling guy, posting from an offshore drilling rig in the Southern Sector of the North Sea U.K.

Well first off I guess we need to decide if drilling anywhere is good or bad.
If it is bad then it does'nt matter whether its on land or offshore.....bad is bad.
I personally believe it's a necessary evil.
We burn carbon and so we either drill or mine for it.
If we ( or some of us) continue to burn carbon then I guess drilling has to be tolerated.
Obviously we need to try and be as safe,ethical, and minimum impact as is possible.

As most are aware Western Europe has far stricter safety and environmental standards than does Canada.
Offshore drilling takes place in the waters of UK, Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Holland and Sweden to name a few.

Zero spillage standards are the norm. The underside of the rig is a huge drip pan.
All cuttings, waste fluids (like water) are contained and are "skip and ship" for disposal on shore.
Environmentally correct chemicals, additives, and detergents are standard.
Any non-environmentally friendly substances (like oil) are closely monitored and contained.
Energy effeciency is required.
Recycling is far far advanced of Canadian industrial standards.
Plastics, paper, batteries, aerosols, organics are all seperated and shipped to shore.
Our galley alone has 5 recycling bins with even uneaten food seperated and shipped to town for composting.
We have our own monitored sewage treatment plant.
Flaring or spillage of crude oil.....forget it.
The ROV shows that the underwater flora and fauna seems relatively happy and unmolested.

But lets face it....its a huge, noisy drilling rig burning thousands and thousands of litres of diesel every day.

Is that a good thing... of course not.

Can it be done cleaner and or lower impact.....always.

Karrie spoke of the offshore platforms of the US Gulf Coast.
She is absolutely correct about the fishing around the production platforms.
The US Gulf is shallow and for the most part has a sandy, silty bottom.
The production platform legs serve as attachment points for various marine plants and animals and in a few years a kind of vertical artificial reef develops.
In move the predators and voila...great fishing.
I have fished those platforms several times and its always both fun and productive.
Does that make the platforms good....of course not.

If you use or consume any product that contains any hydrocarbons my position is that you automatically support drilling.
After all where did you think the stuff came from....mars?
If you support drilling then offshore or land what difference does it make?

It is up to the various government agencies, energy companys, residents and all concerned individuals to insist on the highest available standards are enforced.
If the standards are not maintained....shut down the operation until they are.

Obviously I support offshore drilling......I am doing it right now.
Trex

Reactions: Outta here

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Off shore oil drilling is a great idea, and will be very beneficial to our economy and the eastern provinces, especially Newfoundland.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Speaking for the USA only, it is not necessary. First, there is no oil shortage. Secondly, electric cars are easily marketable just as they were in the 1920s.

The lobbying for more drilling is being paid for by the subsidized oil industry. Such efforts will be profitable for them but of no real benefit to the public.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Off shore oil drilling is a great idea, and will be very beneficial to our economy and the eastern provinces, especially Newfoundland.

I agree. However, why waste money on a short-term fix to this complex economy on off-shore drilling. We need to look forward to future and enough with oil! We need to progress! Its been almost a century since we've started using fossil fuel [aka oil] as our primary resource for ALL of our transportation. Enough with this ourageous reliance on oil! What we need truly in Newfoundland is an alternative option for centuries to come.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Yes, why not allow off shore drilling, we support it in other places around the world. Wonder why this was kept a secret by other networks.

Fox was the only news to report this (20 Aug 2009).
"Today, even though President Obama is against off shore drilling for oil for this country, He signed an executive order to loan 2 Billion of our taxpayers dollars to a Brazilian Oil Exploration Company (which is the 8th largest company in the entire world) to drill for oil off the coast of Brazil . The oil that comes from this operation is for the sole purpose and use of China and not the USA . The Chinese government is under contract to purchase all the oil that this oil field will produce, which is hundreds of millions of barrels of oil". We have very little to gain from this transaction..
Wait it gets more interesting.

Guess who is the largest individual stockholder of this Brazilian Oil Company and who would benefit most from this? It is American Billionaire, George Soros, Liberal businessman who is a radical left wing supporter, finances MoveOn.org as well as other liberal programs and was President Obama's largest and most generous supporter during his campaign. If you are able to connect the dots and follow the money, you are probably as upset as I am. Not a word of this transaction was on any of the other news networks.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/20/loan-brazilian-oil-company-riles-conservatives-favor-offshore-drilling/

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not surprising as you seem to be upset about anything he does. Giving back to your supporters is what every political party does because that is the nature of politics - greasing palms of the rich. Do you think that Bush didn't do the same wit Haliburton, or Clinton, or Bush senior, or Nixon, or any of the other clowns in yours or our country. That is what they get elected to do.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Not surprising as you seem to be upset about anything he does. Giving back to your supporters is what every political party does because that is the nature of politics - greasing palms of the rich. Do you think that Bush didn't do the same wit Haliburton, or Clinton, or Bush senior, or Nixon, or any of the other clowns in yours or our country. That is what they get elected to do.

Not upset about what he did, rather again another example of what he didn't do ("CHANGE"), but then again our so called news media did not mention it either. FOX was the only network to call him out. According to what happened, it would be ok if we supported and financed Canadian off shore drilling, doubt that. Again, liberals can do nothing wrong as long as their not directly involved. (hypocrites)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not upset about what he did, rather again another example of what he didn't do ("CHANGE"), but then again our so called news media did not mention it either. FOX was the only network to call him out. According to what happened, it would be ok if we supported and financed Canadian off shore drilling, doubt that. Again, liberals can do nothing wrong as long as their not directly involved. (hypocrites)
Same ol' same ol' is precisely what I expected when I saw how many Bush advisers Obama kept on staff.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Exactly what we got. Same people running the country with a few changes. Bet we even have new offshore drilling within two years down here. For a place that they said no more oil drilling. they are doing a lot of prep work.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Exactly what we got. Same people running the country with a few changes. Bet we even have new offshore drilling within two years down here. For a place that they said no more oil drilling. they are doing a lot of prep work.
The global cabal dictates what is going on and soon our illusion of sovereignty will become a thing of the past too.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"Off-shore oil drilling - good or bad?"
Good for jobs and stuff. Bad for planet. One mistake can lead to an incident like the Exxon Valdez spill which, after 20 years, is still negatively affecting the area. Why do we have jobs? Basically to make a few people rich and be able to buy what we could alternatively grow or trade for.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
(This is a link and cut n paste-free thread. Discussion only. Non conforming posts will be removed).

Should off-shore drilling be allowed/promoted? Yes, no, why?

It's good where it can be done safely without compromising the environment and bad where it can't.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I have been waiting my entire adult life for the rigs to start off the west coast. The economic spin off for small coastal communities is fantastic. There is no excuse for the ban put in place by Ottawa some 35 years ago. I think the only reason for it was that they were afraid B.C. would become too independent and take our marbles out of the Canada con game.