Yushenko and His Excellency... PM Harper!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
"I'm grateful to His Excellency, Mr. Prime Minister, for his clear position that was stated on behalf of Canada during the (NATO) Bucharest Summit (last April)," Yushchenko told reporters at a joint press conference with Harper.

Canada's approval of Ukraine joining NATO is in line with the United States.

However, other NATO members, such as France and Germany, have been more cautious about supporting Ukraine's bid to join the 26-member alliance.

Russia, fearing a further loss of influence, is opposed to Ukraine and Georgia joining the alliance.

In his address, Harper expressed support for a private member's bill recognizing the 1932-33 famine in Ukraine as an act of genocide.

"In Canada we aren't afraid of history or of truth,'' Harper told Parliament.
"This is why our government recognized the injustice to Ukrainians who were interned during the First World War. . . (And this bill) would provide legal recognition of what happened in Ukraine under the brutal communist dictatorship of Josef Stalin."
Read full: http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc...hchenko_080526
---------------------------------------------------------
Excellent! About time Canada is not afraid of the truth! I must remember that!

I certainly can't blame Ukraine for wanting to side with the West, if Russia treated them that bad in thr early thirties.
Shouldn't at least Putin have acknowledged the wrong his country did, and pay some sort of reparations? Perhaps that was done a long time ago, I just didn't hear of it.