Laws before freedoms

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
I know the title sounds bad, but I'll explain. In the news I heard about separate stories regarding the Sikh faith, and our laws being bent to accommodate them. Such as the right for a student of Sikh faith to carry a Kirpan in school. Who in their right minds allowed this, a weapon is a weapon, no matter how you dress it up, and regardless of WHY. the rules are in place for a reason, and SHOULD NOT be bent. It's a safety issue, to protect the entire school population. If the possibility isn't there, risk is minimized, that's why kids can't bring guns or pocket knives to school. Another story is of the guy who can't (won't) wear a motorcycle helmet because of the turban that must be worn because of the faith. Again, laws are in place for a reason, it's a safety issue, his mainly. I'm all for religious freedom, but keep it at home and/or your place of worship. Even a Christian who proudly wears and displays their cross will bow to reason if they are in a situation, where it could become a safety hazard, and so they tuck it in under their clothing accordingly. There has to be a point at which the laws of the land trump religious freedom, if they keep getting challenged by every single group that thinks that our laws don't apply to them, then they are a joke, we might as well scrap the whole works, and just make them up as we go along. That's silly of coarse, that would create anarchy. By the way, our modern laws are based on the 10 commandments, which are based in Judeo Christianity, which is the belief, moral, and value system our country was founded on. That's the great thing about it, you don't have to agree with the rules, but you have to obeyed by them, it's not difficult. If a western woman visits the Middle East, they MUST be covered, from head to toe, just like THEIR LAWS dictate, which is only right, so why are our laws so hard to obeyed by? That goes with anywhere us westerners go in the world, visit or move, we try to live by the laws set fourth by the country we are in.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
what 'law' prevents the wearing of a knife?

I don't know of a single law that would prevent me from wearing a dagger at my hip. Certainly nothing 10 commandments based forbids it.

I think you're confusing rules for individual institutions with laws of the land. Laws of the land apply to everyone and are, essentially, non-negotiable. Rules for individual institutions such as schools are prone to wild fluctuation, interpretation, and modification for any host of reasons. They always have been, and always will be.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
what 'law' prevents the wearing of a knife?

I don't know of a single law that would prevent me from wearing a dagger at my hip. Certainly nothing 10 commandments based forbids it.

I think you're confusing rules for individual institutions with laws of the land. Laws of the land apply to everyone and are, essentially, non-negotiable. Rules for individual institutions such as schools are prone to wild fluctuation, interpretation, and modification for any host of reasons. They always have been, and always will be.

Errrrrrrrr, not in Ont., Karrie. No fixed blade knives in public, either hidden or in plain view. Exceptions are when hunting or fishing, and yes, if you go into the bait store, you are supposed to leave it in the car.
Dagger type knives (sharp both sides), no no no.
Folding knife must not be spring activated, and must have a length of not more than 3" (blade length)
What the little Sikh darlings sport on their persons I dunno and could care less. Neither do the cops.
Cause we are PC freakin idiots, and religio tolerant....and the Sikhs have enough numbers to affect an election in BC.....that's why.

:angry3:

Last edited:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I honestly don't see the big problem. I carry my dive knife in public. Never been arrested. I've even used steak knives in restaurants before without any injuries or arrests. When was the last time a sikh kid stabbed another kid in shool with a kirpan?

Plus, I think you're generalizing a bit. Women don't have to be covered head to toe in most middle eastern countries. And westerners have to be the worst when it comes to fitting in when they go abroad. They don't usually try to learn the language or dress like the locals. The locals eventually start dressing like them and speaking English to get tourist money.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
What I find humorous is just how violent the Sikh religion is and yet they are allowed to carry these weapons. It just goes to show how foolish liberal pandering really is. Did no one every think to ask why they are required to carry these blades? It is because they are supposed to be ready for war at a moments notice. It seems to me if they can carry knives we should allow Muslims to carry strap on bombs and Christians might as well resume their witch trials.