Son's death in Afganistan

BM5

Time Out
Mar 8, 2008
All the talk, talk, propaganda, propaganda, debate, debate...........................

I have a son of age in Canada, he was considering the military.

As a parent I thought about it, is this a war worth the death of my son ?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That question is so personal. I guess it's your son's decision, and what is in his heart.

Is the war worth better lives for the Afghans, that's the positive side.
Not one person should die, but it doesn't work that way, and when I have
listened to many parents of 'sons/daughters, who were killed, they almost all have
said that, my son/daughter loved serving his/her country, and wanted very much to
wear the uniform of their country, so, how does one answer that statement.

It is individually very personal, and yes, many times, so so sad.

BM5

Time Out
Mar 8, 2008
That question is so personal. I guess it's your son's decision, and what is in his heart.

Is the war worth better lives for the Afghans, that's the positive side.
listened to many parents of 'sons/daughters, who were killed, they almost all have
said that, my son/daughter loved serving his/her country, and wanted very much to

It is individually very personal, and yes, many times, so so sad.

All the politics aside.

Death is death. Is the death of your son or daughter in your mind and heart worth the understanding you have about what the situation is ?

I love Canada. The people who run it fall a long drop from my love.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
My cousin is currently over there now. Her husband just got back from a tour last year.... and a plithora of other military info that doesn't require explaining at the moment.

If he is of age, then he is of age to choose for himself what he will do with his life in this aspect. The only thing you can do is to guide his judgement and to try your best to make sure he not only knows what he is getting into, but that he believes in what he will be getting into. That what he will choose must be worth his possible sacrafice to defend it.

Many soldiers who go over, usually return and there are many reasons why, such as they see they are making a difference for the people of Afghanistan, that they see how much we have that we take for granted everyday, while they have so little. To bring rights and freedom to them, which they have hardly experienced due to continual wars and occupation.

And others return wondering why they went over in the first place, that they feel they acomplished nothing. Each must decide what they want to do and why. It is a serious decision to be making, and although there's the benifits you get when you enter the force, and you get to go out and use weapons, thanks, and shoot at bad guys, if those are his sole reason to go over, then perhaps he should rethink things and decide if his life is worth some excitement and is up for money. But there are men and women who join up because of money..... plenty do. I'm not saying that is wrong, but many once they're in based on those need, sometimes can not hack the pressure that comes with those benifits.

A question:

Has he ever had any experience with army/air/sea cadets, or boot camp of some kind before thinking of this? Can he deal with lack of sleep, not the best food, being yelled at and given orders.... can he handle extreme pressure? Can he work in a team? Can he do this on a daily-non-stop basis for a year or two?

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Ask yourself whether the terrible situation in Afghanistan was worthy of Canadians dying before it became an American enterprise......

Our kids aren't dying for Afghanis they're dying for the American agenda of world domination. Very Soviet this whole thing....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Ask yourself whether the terrible situation in Afghanistan was worthy of Canadians dying before it became an American enterprise......

Our kids aren't dying for Afghanis they're dying for the American agenda of world domination. Very Soviet this whole thing....

That is the government's reasons for going over.... ask the soldiers who are over there now why they are there. Ask the ones who continue to go back afterwards and I don't believe their answer would be oil, or for the US.

That's the point here.... BM5 has already expressed the awareness of the propaganda and talk. The question is about his son, the military and personal reasons why he should go.... not political per say.

If I was still younger and in the military stuff would I go over to Afghanistan? I am personally not sure. I see some core values which exist, but I also see the original reasons why we went that sorta neutralize the whole thing for me.

If I felt that I was personally making a difference for at least one person over there, then yes I probably would go over.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Of course they'll all say that.

And the ones who have grievances don't necessarily want to go public with them and be chastised on top of losing their son or daughter.

War is about patriotism or does someone wish to tell me that a volunteer soldier joined the army for a country they were unpatriotic to? What do you think the culture is like in the army? Leading officers complaining to the grunts how they hate their job and mission, or that they should sit around in a circle at the end of the day and question what they are doing?

That is like going to a Christian Church to search for complaints about Jesus.

What father and mother wants to think of their kid's death having been in vain due to the decisions made on their lives by the politicians?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Nope

Don't let him go if you can possibly stop him.

Just don't.

Not much of a solid explination as to why..... meh... I suppose as he leaves the house one night with his friends you could go grab the rifle and peg him in the foot or leg so he can't be accepted. That's one possible way to stop him.

"You want a war? I'll give you a war!"

*Runs to the shed*

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Well, if Achmed cum Saladin ben Nipshot was ridin through Affy, layin waste, with plans to roll right across Europe into England, then the US, I'd say, sure, we need all the cannonfodder we can get.

As it is, no.

Man asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine.

I'm sure he'd rather have a son than a fukkin folded up flag presented by some Nazi like Harpo.

8O

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It's still the decision of the person who will be going, and sure if it were my son he would
definitely hear my side of the situation, but, we have to respect our sons and daughters
desires and reasons why they do what they do.

All wars are politically decided, there is no other way, unless, of course, it is a rise up of
the people against a government, but then, it remains a political decision of the government to retaliate, no way to escape that.

War is hell, just count the bodies buried all over the world from other wars.

I mean, if you know that your 'kid' is clueless, and only joining the military for stupid
reasons, such as, it's cool, or it'll make me a man, or all my buddies are going, so I want to
go too, or, daaa, just cause, then, sure I would battle that son/daughter till I could make
some sort of dent in the thought process, all kids aren't 'bright'.

But, many are bright, very thoughtful, and deep thinkers, who put many hours of thought, into making a decision like that.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, BM5;

tell your son to wait until the Canadians return to their true mission.... being Peacekeepers. Then he has reason to be proud and truly a representative of his peace loving country.
Fighting for the Americans is less than second best!!:-(

Canadians rally against extended Afghan mission

The Canadian Press
March 15, 2008 at 5:23 PM EDT

TORONTO — Thousands of protesters filled streets across the country on Saturday to speak out against Canada's military mission in Afghanistan and to mark the upcoming five-year anniversary of the start of the war in Iraq.
Rallies were organized in 20 communities countrywide in a joint call for the federal government to recall its troops from Afghanistan and instead adopt a peacekeeping role, which protesters said is Canada's true calling.
“The majority of Canadians want the troops to come home now – shame on Parliament,” said Diane Alexopoulos at a rally on the front lawn of the Ontario legislature in Toronto.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
True mission...

Loonie, read some Canadian Military history.

I have two sons, neither of age, but both serving their nation in our Cadet programs.

My eldest is a Flight Cpl. In the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, my youngest a Private in the Royal Canadian Army Cadets.

They both wish to continue their Military careers past the Cadet corps. It's an honour to serve your Nation, it's an even greater honour to the Warrior, to die in battle.

Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Hi, BM5;

tell your son to wait until the Canadians return to their true mission.... being Peacekeepers. Then he has reason to be proud and truly a representative of his peace loving country.
Fighting for the Americans is less than second best!!:-(

Canadians rally against extended Afghan mission

The Canadian Press
March 15, 2008 at 5:23 PM EDT

TORONTO — Thousands of protesters filled streets across the country on Saturday to speak out against Canada's military mission in Afghanistan and to mark the upcoming five-year anniversary of the start of the war in Iraq.
Rallies were organized in 20 communities countrywide in a joint call for the federal government to recall its troops from Afghanistan and instead adopt a peacekeeping role, which protesters said is Canada's true calling.
“The majority of Canadians want the troops to come home now – shame on Parliament,” said Diane Alexopoulos at a rally on the front lawn of the Ontario legislature in Toronto.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National

This is idiotic, to say the least.

Peacekeeping requires there be a peace to keep.

Establishing a peace to be kept requires that we have partners in peace to negotiate with.....people who sincerely want to compromise in the name of peace, put down arms, bury the hatchet, as it were, build a better society.....

The Taliban is made up of religious fanatics that desire martyrdom above all else......sincere negotiation with them is impossible, the ONLY place they wish to bury the hatchet is in the head of an infidel........that's us......

All the left wants is an excuse for their cowardice......some pretense to get our troops out, then to Hell with what the Taliban does to their own people........and just think, as a bonus, when the terrorist training camps go up, and Canada gets bombed.....they'll have the failed mission to blame!

Idiotic, in the extreme.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well, if Achmed cum Saladin ben Nipshot was ridin through Affy, layin waste, with plans to roll right across Europe into England, then the US, I'd say, sure, we need all the cannonfodder we can get.

As it is, no.

Man asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine.

I'm sure he'd rather have a son than a fukkin folded up flag presented by some Nazi like Harpo.

8O

*shrugs*

Meh.... fair enough

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

What a load of horse crap.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007

True mission...

Loonie, read some Canadian Military history.

I have two sons, neither of age, but both serving their nation in our Cadet programs.

My eldest is a Flight Cpl. In the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, my youngest a Private in the Royal Canadian Army Cadets.

They both wish to continue their Military careers past the Cadet corps. It's an honour to serve your Nation, it's an even greater honour to the Warrior, to die in battle.
For the idiot rolling on the floor!!!

IED explosion claims life of Canadian soldier

A Canadian soldier died in Afghanistan late Sunday after he stepped on an explosive device. He was carrying out a routine foot patrol in the turbulent Panjwaii District.