Budget Headed for Defeat

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable Senator Céline Hervieux-Payette P.C. (Bedford), the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition in the Senate, and other honourable members of the Opposition in the Senate, are preparing to defeat Bill C-52, the Budget Implementation Act, 2007. Opposition senators are no longer accepting orders from The Honourable Stéphane Dion P.C., M.P. (Saint-Laurent—Cartierville), the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition (the Leader of the Opposition has called for senators to adopt the budget’s legislation “as-is”, arguing in regards to the supremacy of the House of Commons).

This issue is causing me to question the leadership of Mr. Dion—he is compromising the principles of the Liberal Party of Canada by urging Liberal senators to pass this terrible budget, and through his mistaken (and irresponsible) suggestion that the Senate of Canada is required to pass budget legislation once out of the Commons. In fact, The Right Honourable Brian Mulroney P.C., C.C., Q.O.C., the 18th Prime Minister of Canada, had one of his budgets defeated by the Senate—senators from the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada held the most seats, and led the charge against their own prime minister.

Let’s hope that the Senate holds strong, and rejects this budget completely.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I believe the Conservatives held the majority in the Senate in the early 90s and voted down a budget implementation bill. This budget at least deserves the same consideration.

tdway

May 4, 2007
Barrhead, AB
I can see amendments happening, but to have a NON-ELECTED Senate defeat the bill will put Senate reform near the top of the list for election issues (probably not #1 however).

The Senate resists change and they will not want to put the current appointment system into the crosshairs of voters.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Non elected senators...I agree senate reform is needed, but. That assertion in any election can be quickly shot down by a mention of the unelected Minister of Public Works which sits in the House.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...by a mention of the unelected Minister of Public Works which sits in the House.

and has voted all of four (4) times. :lol:

amendments to C-52 are pointless since they'd have to return to and pass Commons, which isn't going to happen.