Gas Prices and The Environment

Is it hypocritical to complain about gas prices and the environment at the same time?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I find it hypocritical for politicians to complain about gas prices out of one side of their mouth well out of the other side complain about the environment though the other side of their mouth. I may be in the minority, hence the poll.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I don't drive less due to gas prices. But maybe the politicos could be a little more pro active about the environment in relation to gas prices. Like supporting transit more would help in the larger centres.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
The government will not touch gas prices because they recieve a tax percentage on the gas, when the price goes up so does there bank account. And the government never complains when they ar emaking such high proffits,

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I wonder what the effect would be if the government taxed gas more but gave the money back to everyone as a monthly rebate. The people who got the rebate could use the rebate to by gas or they could decide to spend it on something else.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I don't own a car or smoke. They should tax the heck out of them and give us tax breaks on our paychecks. Call it a pay to play system. You want to pollute the planet, it's going to cost you. You want to commit slow suicide, that will cost too. And if you want a gun, your going to have to jump through hoops.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
I wonder what the effect would be if the government taxed gas more but gave the money back to everyone as a monthly rebate

I would rather not give them the money in the first place, especially after seeing the way they manage money. Less taxes up front good, more tax to get a rebate back from them = bad.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The government should at least disallow the building of 10,000 pound SUVs that can't hope to get more than 6 or 8 miles per gallon. We should also legislate against these turkeys who drive the biggest pickup trucks (F-350s)as commuter vehicles. We shouldn't be driving these gas guzzlers just because we can afford to. It is time the general public took some responsibility for there own actions.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Not as long as oil company shills are trying to convince us they're doing us a favour. There's a diffence between record profits and increased green tax revenues.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not as long as oil company shills are trying to convince us they're doing us a favour. There's a diffence between record profits and increased green tax revenues.

Yeah but....Unless we address all the problems, what we are doing is akin to a well-known one-armed recreational exercise is it not?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
exactly how many nasty habits do you think the oil barons are supposed to clear up for us, anyways?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
exactly how many nasty habits do you think the oil barons are supposed to clear up for us, anyways?

I'm afraid we have to address our own "nasty habits". We either do the whole job right, or go sit down. Which choice will Harper take? Two guesses....first one doesn't count....;-)

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Alot of reasons are good in terms of the larger heavy on gas variety. They are safer for one! 80% of all automobile fatalities occour in mid- compact size vehicles. They provide a great deal more cargo capacity, and the higher ride provides the driver with better visibility. In fact gas mileage is the only real negative. I am in favour of a solid alternative, and the company or individual that brings that to fruition will be very succesful. As the public is ready for a viable alternative! One thing i have always heard as an urban legend is that the gas and oil companies hold an ernormous amount of patents pertaining to alternate fuels and inventions, and that they have been suppressing many of them as they would be bad for buisness. I would like to know if that is true? And i'd like to know what the early results are like for the hydrogen cars in Japan are like.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
electric cars at 2 cents per mile!!!

The price of gasoline, now or when it goes higher, makes the economics of alternative energy projects even more of a bargain. It is getting 'economically obscene' the way solar and wind are being ignored in favour of continued petrol products [that are causing global warming].

Electric cars makes sense when you think of 2 CENTS PER MILE when re-charging from the grid. Or less if you own solar panels - over the life of them you will eventually be getting free car miles with zero pollution.

I tell you, it makes sense , it is just being derailed, still. You know who - see quotes below].

Popular Science magazine, in their May 2007 "special edition" issue, previewed an electric car called the Tesla Roadster that will blow the doors off of your Hondas, gets 200miles [350km?] on a single charge, and can do a quick re-charge in 10 minutes, for another 150km or so. It costs 2 CENTS PER MILE to operate [compared to 10 or 20 cents with gasoline (eg. 30mpg at $3/gal =10c)right?
It is being sold out of California, waiting list is full for two years despite a cost of over $50,000. That will come down when they produce more, about 50% less in three years.
http://tinyurl.com/n52mh

Oh ya - Tesla Roadster:
zero to 60 in FOUR seconds. Yup. Better than a Lambourgini. i tell ya...

------quotes:
http://tinyurl.com/2s7pq4
"The automakers produced great electric cars to meet California’s Zero Emission Vehicle Mandate during the ‘90s. But only a small number of these electric cars were ever offered for sale. The auto and oil industries spent millions lobbying in Sacramento, sued in federal court and successfully eviscerated the Mandate, eliminating any real choice for consumers. GM, Honda, Ford and Toyota confiscated and destroyed thousands of electric cars, despite offers of cash from satisfied customers."

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
It costs 2 CENTS PER MILE to operate [compared to 10 or 20 cents with gasoline (eg. 30mpg at $3/gal =10c)right?

So, electricity is 5-10 time cheaper than gasoline? So why do we get electricity from gasoline?

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
The government should at least disallow the building of 10,000 pound SUVs that can't hope to get more than 6 or 8 miles per gallon. We should also legislate against these turkeys who drive the biggest pickup trucks (F-350s)as commuter vehicles. We shouldn't be driving these gas guzzlers just because we can afford to. It is time the general public took some responsibility for there own actions.

I agree as well the government should tell us what size house to live in as well. My god, all that wasted energy heating more than one room. While their at it the government should ban air travel, to be safe any travel other than by foot and bicycle.:roll:

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I find it hypocritical for politicians to complain about gas prices out of one side of their mouth well out of the other side complain about the environment though the other side of their mouth. I may be in the minority, hence the poll.
Well...politicians have two camps that they need to represent....the gas and oil companies who generate a large amount of revenue for the nation...and the growing green trend...the growing number of canadians who are concerned about the environment.