New Canadian Gun Law?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
There is now a proposal tio strengthen Canadian Gun Laws by requiring all license applicants to undergo a one-time face-to-face interview before a license would be granted. This would be in addition to the mandatory safety training and background check.
My initial reaction was "GD it, not MORE Bull****", but I have re-thought it. IF this is just another layer of crap on top of all the other layers of useless expensive crap in the Canadian Firearms Control system, then I am dead set against.

HOWEVER, if we could do this, and make sure we have competent interviewers with a little tiome to actualy spend with an applicant..........and if we could just DROP the idiot classification/registration scheme in existence now, this might actually be effective.

Thoughts?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
How about training the gun shop owners for this face to face interview and skip a step? It could be made part of their licensing requirements.
Nah, someone needs a job.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
How about training the gun shop owners for this face to face interview and skip a step? It could be made part of their licensing requirements.
Nah, someone needs a job.

That's a conflict of interest, and probably dangerous for the gunshop owner if he does the denying of licensing.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
There is now a proposal tio strengthen Canadian Gun Laws by requiring all license applicants to undergo a one-time face-to-face interview before a license would be granted. This would be in addition to the mandatory safety training and background check.
My initial reaction was "GD it, not MORE Bull****", but I have re-thought it. IF this is just another layer of crap on top of all the other layers of useless expensive crap in the Canadian Firearms Control system, then I am dead set against.

HOWEVER, if we could do this, and make sure we have competent interviewers with a little tiome to actualy spend with an applicant..........and if we could just DROP the idiot classification/registration scheme in existence now, this might actually be effective.

Thoughts?
Mine (thoughts) are the same as yours.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
That's a conflict of interest, and probably dangerous for the gunshop owner if he does the denying of licensing.

definitely could be trouble for teh shop owner. And i dunno if tihs whole system would work. I'm sure bribes would happen, and there would just be ways around it. Get people in the buisness or on the job, and there you are, you have a gun. I dunno as much as it sounds like a great idea, it could just create more problems and crimes.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I haven't a clue what the gun laws are here since I have never owned a gun. Colpy is the resident gun expert here I think.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I'd agree with you colpy, except that I think I can predict some of the questions in the overly-scripted interviews:

are you now or have you ever been involved in terrorist activity or supported the actions of a terrorist group?

Are you now or have you ever been involved in hate crimes?....

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
I'd agree with you colpy, except that I think I can predict some of the questions in the overly-scripted interviews:

are you now or have you ever been involved in terrorist activity or supported the actions of a terrorist group?

Are you now or have you ever been involved in hate crimes?....
has there ever been any mental health issues in your family history?
are you in any way related to george bush in any way?
or dick cheney?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
It might be a tough quiz. In Canada you aren't even allowed to defend your home. We don't have castle law like Florida does.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
It might be a tough quiz. In Canada you aren't even allowed to defend your home. We don't have castle law like Florida does.
you cant defend your own home in Canada???
well time everyone got off their arse and changed that law while they still can!!!
because, the police cant defend it for you...they are too busy pulling up people for minor vehicle infractions like insurance etc
I got pulled over the other day because I had a cracked windscreen, it wasnt in my line of vision, in fact it was right down the bottom of the windscreen...told the officer that I was sorry, didnt realise it could cause me to veer across the road into the path of oncoming vehicles or maybe hit a pedestrian on the footpath he was not amused...but easy money for then eh...and in the eyes of the "majority" they are seen to be doing something.......