Liberals to introduce motion for Canada to withdraw

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Liberals to introduce motion for Canada to withdraw from Afghan fighting by 2009

OTTAWA (CP) - The federal Liberals plan to introduce a motion today asking that Canadian troops be withdrawn from combat in Afghanistan on schedule in February 2009.

But it'll have a tough time staying alive as it won't be backed by the New Democrats, who have long opposed the war. Dismissing the motion, NDP Leader Jack Layton said his party wants an immediate withdrawal of the troops. He said they are not willing to wait two more years for an end to Canadian involvement in the war-torn country, which began in 2002 and has so far claimed the lives of 53 soldiers and one diplomat.

Last year, the House of Commons narrowly voted to extend the deployment in Kandahar province until February 2009, but the Conservatives have said they reserve the right to ask for an extension of that deadline. Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor has suggested that the troops could be needed until 2010.

Denis Coderre, the Liberal defence critic, said his motion will call on the Conservative government to immediately serve notice of the withdrawal plans to NATO allies.

He said the Afghan people will likely want the Canadians to stay, but added the burden needs to be spread around.

"We feel for the Afghan people," he said. "We're spending billions for the Afghan people, but we need also to have an agenda that will see all the countries participate."

He said other NATO countries should be taking a more active combat role in the war-torn country.

Some European members of NATO - notably France and Germany - have refused to send their troops in Afghanistan to the volatile southern region to confront Taliban insurgents.

Coderre said by 2009 Canada will have done its bit in Afghanistan.

It's not clear whether the Bloc Quebecois will support the motion.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Thats a shame, its like the Liberals want to ensure that they are hated forever. Im an NDP man, but the liberals are just disgusting me.
They start a war, send people over to die for 8 years by the time this is done then, when its no longer politically convenient they call them home and don't even accept blame for the bad idea.
How does that feel to the troops and their families "Were sorry we had your son killed, but it turns out we didn't need to go there in the first place, but its not our fault, its the conservatives fault..because people are easy to fool and we don't want to take any blame now that public opinion is anti-war instead of pro-war like when we sent your son out to die."
it really sickens me. If they came out and said "we are sorry, we screwed up..but no sense sending more people to die" then I could respect them. This is just political scheming being played with peoples lives.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Agreed, BitWhys- so you made a mistake a long time ago, and want to do something about it, no time like the present?? Besides, the Liberals didn't extend our commitment without debate, which in my mind is an oversight that needs to be corrected ASAP

From Zzarchovs post, all's I can seem to get is since the Liberals are responsible for the original "mistake" (which I truly believe our involvement has been since day one) we must continue making that mistake for time immemorial and any attempts to stop the mistake are "playing politics"??

Which party was calling which one "unpatriotic" again??

I hope the motion carries.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
The libs never once had a debate on sending our troops.They did it because we are part of NATO and are obliged to do our part to keep the world safe. They tried to make this an issue(pulling out the soldiers) right after they lost the election.It backfired,as they were reminded of thier part in the matter. War is not something that adheres to deadlines.What if in the spring of 2009,the taliban are back on thier heels and about to perish? Should we pack up and go home,let them regroup,and our soldiers have died in vain? Would that make everyone feel better? Afghanistan is still a vile place to live,but it is much better now than it was 6 years ago.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Then what will they say as the Canadian forces pull out come hell or high water on a certain date as we watch the brutal slaughter of those souls who they were protecting...

Yes this Afghan theater should have many more willing players then the few who are in the thick of it, but to pick an date out of a hat and say thats that we are going home, is moronic.
You have a date and timeframe in mind and work towards that , but remember this is war, it doesn't alway go as planned. What the Taliban will just stop in 2009?

Do we all forget how many other western attacks would likley have come from Afghanistan areas if we didn't disrupt the activities there...

Or again we think this is all about the U.S. and we play no part? tell that to Bali, Spain, U.K. Austrailia..etc etc

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I guess I'm not much of a Liberal. I start doing something, I like to finish it. If I think it'd be nice to have help to do the job, I'll ask, but if help doesn't step forward, I'll do the job by myself. Looks like the Libs want Canada to be just like the States: start something, then cut & run before its finished.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Exactly which commitments are not being honoured by tabling this motion?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
The commitment to common sense. This is cheap politics,by people who want to be seen as caring souls,when in fact by abandoning the Afghans they are proving they do not have a social conscience. The lefties want to save the planet with thier flawed Kyoto plan,but when it actually comes down to walking the walk ,like in Afg.,they tuck thier tails and run away.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's not really all that surprising. The Liberal party to me has always been a party which molds it's views on public opinion. If 60% of Canadians were in favour of the war, it wouldn't be an issue.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
No,there are many things that can be done,but it is hard to drain the swamp when you are up to your ass in alligators.It would be great if our troops were only involved in the reconstruction and safe from harm,but right now they are soldiers doing what soldiers do. They are proud to be doing it and do not need yellow politicos undermining thier efforts.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Agreed, BitWhys- so you made a mistake a long time ago, and want to do something about it, no time like the present?? Besides, the Liberals didn't extend our commitment without debate, which in my mind is an oversight that needs to be corrected ASAP

From Zzarchovs post, all's I can seem to get is since the Liberals are responsible for the original "mistake" (which I truly believe our involvement has been since day one) we must continue making that mistake for time immemorial and any attempts to stop the mistake are "playing politics"??

Which party was calling which one "unpatriotic" again??

I hope the motion carries.

Then you should read again.
I stated that since they made the original mistake, if they feel it was a mistake..and that they should leave, that THEY shouldn't try and pin it as a Harper mistake, im an anti-harperite I guess you'd say, but that doesn't mean I don't believe in responsibility.
If you try and turn this into some political game of "trick the voter" then you are telling those serving what you do doesn't matter, we don't care as long as we don't get votes. Those who have died have died for nothing, because we didn't even believe it in the first place.
If they would say "We need to leave because this is a screw up and it never should have happened, we're sorry we did this but no sense throwing good lives after the dead", then they would know at least there were good intentions. Their sacrifices were not in vain even if they were ultimately to no avail. It was not a political scheme.

But as is, they were Pro-war when it was popular, painting themselves as the champions of the righteous cause, it was all their idea, praise them. And they sent people to die.
Now people are anti-war, so they say "This was a terrible idea! Bush is right wing! Harpers is Right wing! Bush caused Iraq so lets pretend Harper caused this! We want to bring our troops home from where we imply Harper sent them, relying on your short memory like your morons, Praise us for bringing the troops home and being anti-war!"
And there is a big difference between glory hound and and having humility even if the net effect is mostly the same.