Afghan mission faces vote next week

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Liberal motion to withdraw troops by early 2009 could force election

Apr 18, 2007 02:05 PM
Bruce Campion-Smith
Ottawa Bureau
OTTAWA - The future of Canada's dangerous mission in Afghanistan will be put to the test in a key vote that could set the stage for a federal election.
The federal Liberals today announced that they're putting forward a motion demanding the withdrawal of Canada's 2,500 troops from Kandahar by February, 2009.
The motion will be debated tomorrow and voted on next Tuesday. Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who has staked much of his own political fortunes on the mission, could declare it a confidence motion - meaning a possible election if the NDP and Bloc Quebecois join together to support the Liberals.

this is large. It'll be under the Dip whip for sure, not that it'll have to be. Duceppe has plenty of ammo now the details of the equalization payment scheme is clarifying and he can't afford to waffle on his position over Afghanistan.

That's 80. Dion won't have to whip unless some of those who voted "No" last May plan on flip-flopping on their way out of a career. Iggy can swing his vote without looking soft and drag more than a few votes over in the process. Harper needs to pooch parliament before the wheat farmers start to get a look at what "you're next" really means.

I don't gamble much, but I do bet and I know which pony I'd be dropping on for this one.

go for it, Steve.

Last edited:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Is this it then? Will we be rid of that hateful facsist prick? scuse the language ladies

Its definitely not the opening he's been hoping for but its the best he's going to get. He'd look weak NOT making it non-con and I highly doubt he wants to answer for Afghanistan in the house without the mandate he's been using as a go to card.

I think this is it.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I talked to a Green today who's not going to vote for May he's going to vote NDP just to get a shot at Harper, he says May dosn't have a chance and his vote would be wasted on her.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I'll be surprised if May picks up more than 20% of the vote out of the Liberals and IMO even that is stretching it. The electorate just doesn't work the way May expects it too.

She's been had. Chances that she knew Dion was going to play his trump less than a week later? slim to none.