It is time for the church to pay taxes.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

More people are attending church in North America and they are paying billions of dollars to the church and the church pays nothing to the government and it is time they do.

A long time ago the church was an institution that was the centre point of the community and all donations went back to the community so they can have a better way of life.

Now not all the money is going back to the community.

If you look at the international churches like the Catholics and other religions a lot of the hard earned money is going out of the country.

Those churches own a lot of properties that is worth trillions of dollars and a lot of them do not give the same rights to their members that are guaranteed in the bill of rights.

We go to war in other countries and force the people to adopt Christian values and give more rights to women yet in a lot of the religions women have no rights for one example they cannot be priests and they are second class citizens.

It’s time for the churches to open up their books and let the government see how much is going out of the country and that portion should be taxed and if the churches cries the denying of religious freedoms then they should pay taxes on everything they take in.

It is time that churches pay their fair share of the tax burden.

TekJansen

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2007
Western NC, USA
I just read about a church group buying their former-execultive-of-Chysler-Clergyman a $4million home complete with massive acreage and private security. This is completely untaxable and majorly and morally corrupt.

I think that there should be more taxation of things of this nature, but that churches which do good and help those IN NEED should still have certain tax exemptions.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
1st point. I pay taxes. Now you want to tax my money AGAIN if I give it to a church? But only a church? Not a soup kitchen (whic can own property too), or a women's shelter (again, property owners), but just if I give it to a church?

2nd point. If you don't like the policies of a particular church, don't attend, and don't give your money to them, it's pretty simple. The same applies with any charity or non-profit organization in both Canada and the US. Many have been shown to be mismanaging funds, so people don't support those ones. Instead, you support the ones that are getting the most 'bang for their buck'.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Churches, Synagogues, Mosques etc... all can obtain a tax exempt status with Revenue Canada and/or the IRS. If you want them to pay taxes, change the tax law.

TekJansen

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2007
Western NC, USA
Can we assume you will expect the same from all non-profit charitable organizations? Or is is just the
Church you are planning to persecute in this regard?

Are you adressing me or the O.P.?

I just think there should be a limit to corruption, church or not.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Are you adressing me or the O.P.?

I just think there should be a limit to corruption, church or not.

How is the Church corrupt financially? Where are your facts to support such an absurb claim. How do you expect the parishes to financially sustain themselves without contributions from the membership?
What organization can you belong to that does not require you to pay some sort of membership "fee", as it were? Note, financial affairs of the Church have nothing to do with sexual abuse cases, so leave that bit out of your expected rhetroic.

Last edited:

TekJansen

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2007
Western NC, USA
Which has what to do with your OP?

Not entirely sure what you mean....I meant Original Post-er.

I have a hypersensitivity to the idea that the church is persecuted. Both of my girlfriend's parents are Methodist Ministers and they have no problem with 'happy holidays'. I attributed your immediate use of the term 'persecution' to someone who thinks the church is some sort of misunderstood, powerless underdog.

Toro

Senate Member
What a ridiculous post.

First, we are not in the Middle East to force "Christian" values on Muslims, unless you think democracy is a Christian value. How racist if you believe this.

Second, churches are non-profit enterprises. We don't tax non-profits. If we decide to do so, then all non-profits should be taxed. If we tax churches, we should tax other non-profits like Greenpeace.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Not entirely sure what you mean....I meant Original Post-er.

I have a hypersensitivity to the idea that the church is persecuted. Both of my girlfriend's parents are Methodist Ministers and they have no problem with 'happy holidays'. I attributed your immediate use of the term 'persecution' to someone who thinks the church is some sort of misunderstood, powerless underdog.

You isolated the Church as your target for taxation, that is persecution based on personal bias.

Dihead

Apr 7, 2007
Canada
charities that spend 80% or more of their donations on administration and stuff like that should be taxed...for example United Way.

other charities that give away 95% of their donations to places or situations that matter shouldn't be taxed.

stevek

Mar 9, 2007
More people are attending church in North America and they are paying billions of dollars to the church and the church pays nothing to the government and it is time they do.

A long time ago the church was an institution that was the centre point of the community and all donations went back to the community so they can have a better way of life.

Now not all the money is going back to the community.

If you look at the international churches like the Catholics and other religions a lot of the hard earned money is going out of the country.

Those churches own a lot of properties that is worth trillions of dollars and a lot of them do not give the same rights to their members that are guaranteed in the bill of rights.

We go to war in other countries and force the people to adopt Christian values and give more rights to women yet in a lot of the religions women have no rights for one example they cannot be priests and they are second class citizens.

It’s time for the churches to open up their books and let the government see how much is going out of the country and that portion should be taxed and if the churches cries the denying of religious freedoms then they should pay taxes on everything they take in.

It is time that churches pay their fair share of the tax burden.

This post reminds me a lot of Ann Coulter's book, Godless: the Church of Liberalism.