Tories keep chugging along?

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
The more polls that come out with huge Conservative leads means less chance that these polls in general are wrong.

Whatever anyone thinks, the trend is clear. Conservative support is rising.

Tories closer to majority territory

Updated Thu. Apr. 5 2007 3:24 PM ET
Canadian Press
OTTAWA -- Stephen Harper's Conservatives are edging closer to support levels needed to win their coveted majority, a new poll suggests.
But the Decima survey also indicates voters are extremely volatile -- especially in Ontario and Quebec -- and forcing an election this spring remains a risky proposition for the prime minister.
The poll, provided exclusively to The Canadian Press, put Tory support at 39 per cent -- nine points ahead of the Liberals and within spitting distance of the 40 per cent mark generally needed to secure a majority.
The NDP were at 13 per cent, and the Greens and Bloc Quebecois were at eight per cent each.
The Tories were six points ahead of the Liberals in vote-rich Ontario and essentially tied with the Grits among urban and female voters, two demographic groups which have strongly favoured the Liberals in the past. However, the Tories were running third in Quebec, where the Bloc held a slim lead over the Liberals.
The poll comes amid heightened speculation about a spring election which all parties say they don't want but for which they are all feverishly preparing.
Decima CEO Bruce Anderson said the numbers suggest the Tories have had "some success'' in courting mainstream voters in the centre of the political spectrum.
"I think obviously these numbers suggest that the Conservatives have more forward momentum certainly than the Liberals do and momentum is a pretty good thing to have going into an election,'' Anderson said.
"At the same time, it would be a mistake to underestimate how competitive the Liberals are in Quebec and Ontario.''
The unstable numbers in Ontario, home to more than a third of the seats in the House of Commons, should make all parties cautious about the prospect of a spring election, he added.
Over the past seven weeks, Decima's weekly polls have put the Tories ahead three times in Ontario, the Liberals ahead three times and the two parties tied once. The most recent poll, conducted March 30-April 2, put the Tories ahead with 42 per cent to the Liberals' 36 per cent, the NDP's 11 per cent and the Green Party's nine per cent.
Anderson said that volatility goes beyond what could be accounted for by the survey's margin of error. Nationally, the telephone poll of just over 1,000 Canadians is accurate within 3.1 percentage points 19 times in 20. The margin is larger for small samples: 5.4 percentage points for Ontario and 6.2 percentage points for Quebec.
Anderson said the fluctuating results in Ontario suggest voters are disengaged, do not see much difference between the Tories and Liberals and are thus able to switch preferences for little apparent reason and with little enduring commitment. And that makes them highly unpredictable.
"In a world where people feel that the risk of trying different choices is relatively low because the economy is strong, there aren't big crisis issues, all the parties are gravitating towards the centre, then the chance that voters will do unexpected things in the course of an election goes up.''
Quebec results have bounced around somewhat over the past couple of months as well. The latest poll put the Bloc at 31 per cent for the second time in a month -- the lowest score the Bloc has earned in Decima polls over the past two years. The Liberals were close behind with 26 per cent while the Tories had 21 per cent and the Greens and NDP were tied at eight per cent.
Harper has repeatedly insisted he doesn't want an election, although his party has opened its campaign war room, begun airing television ads and gone on what many pundits have dubbed a pre-election spending binge. Liberals are convinced Harper will pull the plug on his minority government later this month.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The country has never looked better with a conservative minority. I hope it stays that way for the next 50 years.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It's hard to put a face on the Conservatives. Their caucus is muzzled, communications are overtly centralized and even key cabinet ministers seldom question Harper's directives. So what are his intents with a majority government? Or does he just want to be king for awhile?

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
His intentions are to make Canada a better country.

The Liberals did some good things, but they also did a lot of bad things.

I think the Conservatives deserve a chance to govern with a majority.

We could always vote them out after 5 years. We did give the Liberals 13 years don't forget.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
So, while making us a better country, what can be expected? What three things would Harper consider the building blocks of our improvement plan?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The fact that we don't have a dictator in charge is great. Lets keep it going.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
1. Less money being stolen.
2. Less money being wasted.
3. Tax cuts so that the above 2 points is less likley to happen in the future.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
:-? Ya, you're all so optimistic, pffft. These are politicians. Poli meaning many. Tics meaning blood sucking creatures. (thanks temperance)
If someone can give a rational reason to be optimistic????:roll:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonington

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
1. Less money being stolen.
2. Less money being wasted.
3. Tax cuts so that the above 2 points is less likley to happen in the future.

What tax cuts? What less money being wasted?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I don't trust any party. I'm basically Conservative but after witnessing Mike Harris's war against the public service here in Ontario, I'm not so sure I'm true blue anymore. Flaherty was Harris's lieutenant. I have little respect for the man.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
What tax cuts? What less money being wasted?

Well for one, there isn't a billion dollars missing in the HR department. There isn't a billion dollars stolen from tax coffers. No billion dollars wasted on helicopters that can't fly and submarines that can't submerge. I could go on but you get my point.

Income splitting for seniors is a huge tax break plus the GST cut, plus tons of tax breaks for families with children.

The Conservatives have literally put $3,000 into my pocket annually just due to my kids. Plus hundreds more in GST payments that I'm not paying.

That's more than the Liberals have done for me or my family in 13 years. In fact, the Liberal party in Ontario is costing me and my wife $1,800 per year MORE because of their health tax grab which McGuinty promised he would never do yet it was one of his very first intiatives after getting into office.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The Tories have implemented the pension split scheme which is very good. That will a major tax break for senior couples. They have cut the gst. Perhaps they've tinkered with the federal income tax rate but the liberals did pretty good with that. They have taxed income trusts. Both good and bad. More taxes paid by corporations (or perhaps less loopholes for corporations to wiggle into) but the result has been a substantial loss to many senior's investment portfolios. They have applied a $100 monthly credit to families with a child under age 6 for childcare however they have nixed other childcare funding that has resulted in childcare costs rising and some facilities even closing. Lots of layoffs right now in daycares. But after years of surplus budgets we're edging closer to deficit. It isn't like spending went away. It appears to have gone up.

It's pretty much a mixed bag. All in all not too bad.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Ya let's see the balance sheet with receipts. Like the for real money. Ha! Good luck. If you say you are for one party or the other, then you are a victim of what the MEDIA, meaning paid advertising, has told you, as they all change their ads with the polls. 8O

GenGap

Electoral Member
Mar 19, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
TORY's KEEP CHUGGING ALONG..

CHUG A CHUG CHOO CHOO. The little engine that could ..

You realize that Little Train ran on Coal!! ROFL

That all what harper is doing is bringing us back to the days we were burning coal to keep our houses warm. This is the 2000's.. now..... Harper CHOO CHOO needs Solar panels. something he will never do.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Harper will pull of a slim majority. Trust me.

And we will see lots of progress from it.