Stephen Harper breaks election campaign promises to Canadian Women

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
<DIV class=ForumPostBodyArea><DIV class=ForumPostContentText id=ctl00_ctl01_bcr_PostFlatView___PostRepeater_ctl11_PostViewWrapper>
News

Top Ten Ways the Harper Government has Failed Women

March 8, 2007
National
Women’s Caucus

1​
Removed “equality” as the main goal of the Women’s Program at Status of Women Canada;
2​
Cut $5 million, or 43 per cent, from the operating budget of Status of Women Canada;
3​
Changed the rules of the Women’s Program to eliminate equality-seeking organizations from qualifying for funding;
4​
Changed rules of the Women's Program to prevent groups from advocating on behalf of women;
5​
Changed the rules of the Women’s Program to allow funding for for-profit groups. The struggle for women’s equality is not a money-making venture but a grassroots effort of committed activists;
6​
Gutted the research and policy capacity of Status of Women Canada, which will deprive groups of valuable information for use in public education products, government briefs, and for the development of public policy;
7​
Closed 12 of 16 regional Status of Women Canada offices, which will eliminate the connection between the federal government and women in their communities;
8​
Eliminated the Court Challenges Program and disbanded the Law Commission, handicapping the ability of women, particularly Aboriginal and minority women, from defending their human rights;
9​
Eliminated $17.7 million from literacy programs, making it even more difficult for women to gain the skills they need to make a better life for themselves; and
10​
Eliminated the Liberal child care agreements and replaced them with $20 a week and no new child care spaces, in spite of the fact that almost 71% of mothers with children under the age of six are in the labour force.

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: ACaslon-Regular; mso-bidi-font-family: ACaslon-Regular"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">In just one year the Conservatives have cut programs that are key to women’s equality. During the last election campaign, Stephen Harper signed a promise to improve women’s rights in Canada. Promise made; promise broken. Alberta women did not believe Stephen Harper so should of every Canadian woman.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Surely, we're past the gender-centric embarrassments of the eighties and nineties. We'll now need a list on how Harper has failed men.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Of course. Don't you know women are equal to men already so the government need not pay gender issues any mind?

What's that sarcastic font again?......

Reactions: Niflmir

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
How has harper failed babies?
How has Harper failed seniors?
How has Harper failed immigrants?
How has Harper failed natives?
How has Harper failed the poor?
How has Harper failed YOU?

Typical propaganda, is what that article is.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
How has harper failed babies?
How has Harper failed seniors?
How has Harper failed immigrants?
How has Harper failed natives?
How has Harper failed the poor?
How has Harper failed YOU?

Typical propaganda, is what that article is.

Maybe you should start threads on those topics if you really want to discuss them. Or maybe start one on how he's done great things for us all?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Eliminated the Liberal child care agreements and replaced them with $20 a week and no new child care spaces, in spite of the fact that almost 71% of mothers with children under the age of six are in the labour force.

Well, we love that new iniative here in Québec. I pay 35$ a week for childcare, and thanks to Harper I now pay, about 10$ a week (Considering it's 100$ a month that we receive).

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Top ten ways the government has failed women who think there should be seventy five agencies hiring people to write reports, not to actually DO anything to help "women's issues".....

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'd just like to know why Quebec has become so special. It's a recipe for western alienation and Harper is one of them. Will he be allowed to stay?

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah Quebec has always been "special" and the Pet Province.

Wouldn't be surprised if we got more constitution talks going in a few years.

The interesting fact is:

BC + Alberta = MORE than Quebec.

The west is going to go through the "western alienation" phase again, and rightly so... Ottawa is so obsessed with Quebec and Ontario..

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
The west is going to go through the "western alienation" phase again, and rightly so... Ottawa is so obsessed with Quebec and Ontario..

I find it interesting that this debate gets dragged out of moth balls so often, Quebec recieves favouritism based on the constant threat of we'll leave. And Ontario because we have the Largest Population. The real problem here is our electoral system that allows 2 provinces with the largest population to dominate the political landscape of the country, West needs more representation as well as east. The old point the fingure and blame thy neighbour routine is getting old, our electoral system has needed reform for years. As does most of our grossly inflated, overpriced, under serviced, red tape filled beaurocratic mess we call government. The problem is most canadians are too enthralled with Brittany Spears cutting off her hair, or The ongoing Anna Nicole saga to notice. I recently talked to man who thought Harper was liberal, and didn't realize Chretien was no longer the PM. With these kinds of voters, seperate or get used to it. The sitaution will always be irreprable with uninformed uncaring voter's stiffling government revolution.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
In terms of the women's rights issue, i think we do not go far enough in terms of rights in general. Everybody should be on equal footing regardless of gender, ethnic heritage, skin colour etc. etc. I have always believed in hire the best person for the job based on Qualification, experience, education or potential to excel in the field without the BA education. Any company that hires otherwise, has most likely found themselves out of buisness or surpassed by there less biased competition. This sword is double edged however, and on the other side i do not support forced hiring based on the affor mentioned areas of diversity. If you are not qualified and you get the job solely on sex, colour or religion that is wrong in so many ways. And a perfect example of where that comes into play is for an example the fellas who were running the water treatment in Kirkland lake, there lack of qualifications for the positions they were hired for had extrememly serious consequences. Women's rights have come along way, but like anything in our society when your not the flavour of the weak governement cuts your funding. A sad and harch reality.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Maybe you should start threads on those topics if you really want to discuss them. Or maybe start one on how he's done great things for us all?

Wow, this one got me a negative rep point? I didn't think it was at all offensive.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
tracy
Or maybe start one on how he's done great things for us all?__________________________________

I think the Ouestion ought to be .....".....what have we done for our selfs" .If you think that you can't function in life with the government controling you ,then ............................?
I think you have the answer(s) to the above question.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
tracy
Or maybe start one on how he's done great things for us all?__________________________________

I think the Ouestion ought to be .....".....what have we done for our selfs" .If you think that you can't function in life with the government controling you ,then ............................?
I think you have the answer(s) to the above question.

I don't believe I ever said that.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Top ten ways the government has failed women who think there should be seventy five agencies hiring people to write reports, not to actually DO anything to help "women's issues".....

Even if that were true maybe you could explain to me how cutting staff in half and doubling the volume of grants creating a quadrupling of workload addresses that problem.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The Harper government knows that women...don't really matter in the final analysis...what's important to Canadians is affording the the Unitied States an olive branch...cut from crown land forest areas of course....

Harper is an entirely typical conservative...

Women's rights aren't important in a male dominated society...why fund them? Why open a door to equality and fairness when men stand to lose their stranglehold on business and government?

Conservative Canadians should be proud of their government....

Last edited:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
You know what the best part about being a man is? My special priviliege that allows me to ignore all of my other privilieges and silence anyone who disagrees with me with ridicule.

Honestly, once I realized that I had that priviliege, above all the others no less, I really wanted to distance myself from the anti-feminist hypocrites. If you think men and women are equal in this country look at the statistical wage differences. Look at the professors who receive university tenure, last time I checked, UBC had 53% female staff. Sounds great until you realize that 70% of the senior faculty were men and the women dominated the clerical aspects. Or look at the wages of CEO's, routinely women are paid less for doing the same jobs. Yeah, there's no need for equalization, let's all blame the magical PC ghost.

Tracy was spot on.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It took a woman to stand up and say what all Canadians know...George Bush is a moron...it took the ole-boys-club to make sure she was silenced...

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
What I've asked still stends....what have we done for ourselfs ? We should be the producers and the consumers .We should be living the way we thing is the right way to live ,not the way the government thinks we ought to . It is our responsibility to "run" our country ,not the governments .They are there to see that things are "runing smoothly",and that the laws are not broken , laws that were created by us ,not them.Those....they work for us ,we are their employer ,we are paying their wages . They should not be able to change or add any laws without our approval
or raise their salary and benefits whenever they want to.Do you ever go to your boss and say ,hey man ....,i'll give myself a hefti increse to my salary and on a weekend I,ll use your car , to take my family on a little holiday , don,t forget to leave your credit card in the glove compartment. Ok ?
By the way ,if I'll max your credit card ,well , I'll just make a loan in the companys name , Ok?
I might be a big dreamer but my question still is......."what have you done for yourself?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
What have I done for myself?

I've fought for the removal of nitrous oxide "kits" from head-shops across this country...I've protested inefficient and useless gun-control laws in Ottawa and Toronto...I've given blood at every opportunity I could to help out anyone who needs it...I've made submissions before government and municipal counsils and groups in the effort to protect the rights of the poor, of women and those abused by governemnt...I've written and continue to write letters to every political party and representative to keep reminding them that their responsibility is to the people of this nation..not big business and the trough-feeders....I do what I can for everyone else whenever I can and when I'm able...

Because life is about more that simply doing something for yourself.........