Liberal Tim Peterson to join Conservatives

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Ont. Liberal Tim Peterson to join Conservatives

var byString = ""; var sourceString = "Canadian Press"; if ((sourceString != "") && (byString != "")) { document.write(byString + ", "); } else { document.write(byString); }Canadian Press
TORONTO — Ontario Liberal backbencher Tim Peterson, the brother of former premier David Peterson, announced Thursday he's quitting the party to sit as an Independent and plans to run as a Conservative in the next provincial election.

Peterson, first elected in 2003, appeared with Conservative Leader John Tory at a news conference at the Ontario legislature to announce his departure from the Liberal caucus, which he blamed on the government's failure to address local issues in his riding.

"After much consideration, I decided to leave the Liberal caucus to sit as an Independent in this last session of the legislature prior to the election,'' Peterson told reporters.

"After this session I will join the caucus of the John Tory Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario, and will be their candidate in Mississauga South in the election on Oct. 10.''

Premier Dalton McGuinty said he was "disappointed'' to learn of Peterson's decision to quit the Liberals and eventually run as a Conservative.

Peterson said his initial desire was to immediately cross the floor to join the Opposition benches, but that he opted instead to bide his time until the next provincial vote.

"It's not about Mr. McGuinty's leadership; it's about the issues in Mississauga South,'' he said of his desire to leave the Liberals.

"I never expected to be in cabinet because I was not one of Dalton's chosen to run, but I did expect to . . . at least have my voice heard.''

Peterson said his first inclination was to quit politics because of his frustrations with the Liberal government, but after starting talks with Tory last December, he eventually decided to switch parties and run as a Conservative.

"John Tory convinced me that I should not work in this session against the party that helped me get elected, and the party that the people in Mississauga South supported in the last election,'' he said.

Both Tory and Peterson insisted there was no cabinet position offered or requested to convince the Mississauga-South representative to switch parties.

"We felt obviously it was not appropriate once he had come most of the way to making a decision for him to continue to sit in the Liberal caucus,'' said Tory.

"I think in this way we have fashioned an arrangement that is as respectful as it could be to the voters and what they did in the last election.''

A former merchant banker, Peterson was the first Liberal ever to represent Mississauga South, long a hotbed of Conservative support.

Peterson said informing his riding association about the decision Wednesday evening turned into a very emotional night.

"This was very tough . . . some tears were shed all around,'' he said.

"I was taken aback by the quality of the emotion and affection that was demonstrated.''

Reactions: westmanguy

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Finally a member who will do the right thing and sit as an independant till the next election!!! Bravo!!!

Ours is a system of voting for a party not a member (since all members must obey the leader) If I vote conservative it's for John Tory not Joe local who is running in the area. therefore I want conservative representation, not Joe rep.

It's the least they can do is to sit as an independant and vote the way the locals ask him to vote until the next election..again Bravo!!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Finally a member who will do the right thing and sit as an independant till the next election!!! Bravo!!!

Ours is a system of voting for a party not a member (since all members must obey the leader) If I vote conservative it's for John Tory not Joe local who is running in the area. therefore I want conservative representation, not Joe rep.

It's the least they can do is to sit as an independant and vote the way the locals ask him to vote until the next election..again Bravo!!

Ditto that.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
Common sense seems to be growing in Canada.

What does that mean?

Were we all silly before?

So politics (and apparently, those who voted as such) wasn't common sense when the Conservatives were screwing this country left and right in '92 and were punished to two seats in the HoC? Are you saying that people who voted left were stupid before and are now, thanks to the Conservatives, are just coming into focus with your ideologies? That would seem to me like you are trying to say that you're somehow better, more educated, and know what's better for people than those on the left - judging by your empty comments on this board thus far, you're sadly mistaken.

Newsflash: Stephen Harper isn't the second coming of Jebus; get off your rhetorical high horse, it's grown quite tiresome.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
SNOWLES THIS IS ONTARIO POLITICS NOT FEDERAL

lol.

I am happy about this, I vote for the national party and the national representation not my local joe who runs for them here.

If a person runs for party X and no longer wants to be a part of party X after being elected, he SHOULD have to sit as an independent, and then he can run for party Y in the next election... or if the situation requires it, his riding has a by-election.

I would rather go with by-election, this happens not that often that someone leaves a party, and their should just a be a by-election for that riding for every case of a MP or MLA leaving a party.

Its no longer my choice if the man I voted for in Party X jumps ship to Party Y.

This should be regardless of federal provincial, LPoC or CPoC.

Both the CPoC and the LPoC have done this jump ship thing, and none is worse than the other, but this should change.

Its not a democracy if the party I voted for thats elected no longer represents me.

So by-election all the way for these situations.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I would describe most Liberals on this forum as arragont, and closed-minded, yes.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
SNOWLES THIS IS ONTARIO POLITICS NOT FEDERAL

Thanks, I missed that first word in the OP, did not read the article and am completely unfamiliar with the politics of my own province. Or do you speak for Ontarians now, in addition to women, the left, the uncircumsized, the sexually active and your future wife?

And why on Earth would you point out to me about it being provincial politics, then go into a rant about your national voting habits?

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
I would describe most Liberals on this forum as arragont, and closed-minded, yes.

And you're probably the last one who should accuse anyone of being anything. For someone who has, in less than 60 days on this board, shown an intolerance to gays, Natives, women, those who don't love America, the political left and aethists, among others, you probably shouldn't go around letting others know how 'closed minded' they are about things based purely on their political leanings.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
And you're probably the last one who should accuse anyone of being anything. For someone who has, in less than 60 days on this board, shown an intolerance to gays, Natives, women, those who don't love America, the political left and aethists, among others, you probably shouldn't go around letting others know how 'closed minded' they are about things based purely on their political leanings.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. You've won... You're the 10,000th poster who has pointed out the annoying insincerity of Westmanguy. Your prize is in the mail.:smilebox:

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am not closed minded.

I am just saying the "majority" of Liberals, the Left, and atheists/agnostics are close-minded and arragont from my personal experience with them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What was the topic?....Oh yeah....If they elected a Liberal last time, they will probably elect a Liberal next time.......but not Mr. Peterson....;-)

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
I am not closed minded.

Yes, you are. In fact, I just showed you instances on this one board where you have been. How are Liberals or the left closed minded? Please enlighten those of us who haven't been crushed by the common sense revolution.

You must give a lot of negative reputation, because when you give it, it counts for so little. Too bad, though I;m a Liberal, you're my only red.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
With 230 posts you would not have that much reputation.

And FYI, everything Liberals accuse Conservatives of being can be directly reapplied to them.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
With 230 posts you would not have that much reputation.

Actually I do. It's called substance. Try it. Seems I have as much as you do in 20% as many posts, if you want to play the 'whose weiner is bigger' game.

And FYI, everything Liberals accuse Conservatives of being can be directly reapplied to them.

Newsflash: the Liberals aren't in power. If Conservatives and their supporters can't take being grilled because they are the ruling party, and should be held responsible just as they did to the Libs when they were in opposition, then it's a pretty sad state of affairs. Should the opposition not oppose, or what?

This is what I was talking about in the other thread: "but... but... but the Liberals!!!11!" Weak.

Reactions: Tonington