Conservative memo urges troops to prepare for possible election 'within a week'

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Alexander Panetta
OTTAWA (CP) - The Conservative party has warned its members that a federal election campaign could start within days, in an internal letter that makes an "urgent" appeal for donations.
Despite Prime Minister Stephen Harper's assurances that he does not want an election, party heavyweights are warning supporters that anything can happen after the federal budget is tabled Monday.
"We need to be ready to campaign within the next week," said the note, sent to party members Thursday.
"Without your help, we may need to cut back on major parts of our campaign plan. That's why I'm making an urgent appeal today to our most loyal supporters."
The note by Irving Gerstein, chair of the Conservative Fund Canada, was obtained by The Canadian Press after it was erroneously sent to a former Conservative who left the party but still receives its correspondence.
Gerstein's note goes on to ask for gifts of $150 or $75 and says the party has specific plans to use the money in the first days of the campaign.
Despite the letter's urgent tone, an imminent election appears unlikely unless the Harper government engineers its own demise.
All opposition parties face obstacles in preparing for an election. Unless Harper backed off his promise of fixed election dates and unilaterally went to the Governor General seeking a fresh mandate, there could be an election only if all three opposition parties combined to vote down the minority Conservative government.
The question is: why would they want to?
The Liberals have slumping poll numbers and a new leader who's busy establishing a national organization, putting together a platform and working to improve his English.
The NDP has also seen its support drift downward and in some recent polls was either statistically tied with the seatless Green party, or just struggling to remain ahead of it.
The Bloc Quebecois would enter an election with a demoralized campaign team if the Parti Quebecois loses the March 26 provincial election and the prospect of Quebec independence again slips away.
Even if the PQ did win a majority, sovereigntists would likely be too tired after a provincial election and too busy preparing for a referendum to bother with a federal vote.
All those factors have some political insiders musing that if Harper wants an election, the only way for him to get one is to sprinkle the budget with measures his opponents could never support.
Like Harper, Dion has said he does not want an election but is also urging his troops to prepare for one.
On Friday, he said the Liberals will base their budget vote on whether it addresses three key concerns: economic competitiveness, social justice and environmental sustainability.
"We will assess what to do with this budget when we will see it," Dion said.
"We're only hoping that this budget will be everything that this last budget wasn't."
As for whether Harper wants an election, numerous opinion polls place him short of his coveted majority and he has repeatedly said he wants to continue governing.
But the letter from Gerstein suggests Tory troops are well into planning for the alternative.
Gerstein explained that he was raising funds specifically for the early days of an election campaign during which, he wrote, "advertising and outreach" will be key.
"We may have only a little time left to finalize our finances for the first few days of the upcoming election."
Gerstein's letter went on to praise Harper for his strong leadership, which he said has put the party in a good position to win the election.
He concluded the note with another warning.
"We are in a campaign readiness status right now," he said.
"There could be an election very soon. Please act now and send the most generous contribution you can today."

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I look forward to another election. I think it will put my mind at ease after the last election. I felt that Harper won merely because voters wanted to get back at the liberal party. I am NOT a Harper fan, so, if he got in for that reason, I think it is unfortunate. I think that a new election would help to clarify things. If Harper wins, I will feel as though he have won because the majority of Canadians feel he is doing a good job. If he loses, I think it does show that the last election was a revenge election.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I think Harper will waltz to a new minority. But I don't know if he'll get my vote. I'll likely go Green. A vote for the Liberals is unthinkable.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
I look forward to another election. I think it will put my mind at ease after the last election. I felt that Harper won merely because voters wanted to get back at the liberal party. I am NOT a Harper fan, so, if he got in for that reason, I think it is unfortunate. I think that a new election would help to clarify things. If Harper wins, I will feel as though he have won because the majority of Canadians feel he is doing a good job. If he loses, I think it does show that the last election was a revenge election.

That is usually how the Cons. get in, when we're pissed off at the Lib.'s... I am pretty sure Harper is done.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
A party with such a record for self-interest and corruption has no place on my ballot. I like the remark made by a Liberal insider to Adscam investigators when they first started: "Do you know who you're dealing with?"
That said it all.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
That is usually how the Cons. get in, when we're pissed off at the Lib.'s... I am pretty sure Harper is done.
I would have to disagree. The reason the Libs were in power for 13 looong years was because the Conservative party/vote was split.

Chretien had a free ride. The Liberals were terrible on many fronts for years but had no real competition. The red book fiasco alone should have been enough to banish the Liberals out of power for at least a decade.

The Liberals will not rule this country any time soon no matter when the election gets called.

The boogey man called "hidden agenda" that kept the Conservatives out of power has turned out to be just another big Liberal lie. Joe six pack is starting to realize that anarchy has not beseiged Canada because the Liberals are "not" in power.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
I would have to disagree. The reason the Libs were in power for 13 looong years was because the Conservative party/vote was split.

that dosent stand up to our history though. the liberals have pretty well been the ruling party since day one, with short visits by the conservatives, probably to give the liberals a rest:)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
that dosent stand up to our history though. the liberals have pretty well been the ruling party since day one, with short visits by the conservatives, probably to give the liberals a rest:)
More like, the LPoC is like that Aunt you love so much, because she slips you all those sugar coated treats, that rot your teeth and make you weak and lathergic, then mom has to come along and slip the pepto in to ya, so you don't bloat so bad you explode and cover the furniture with sticky LPoC goo.

The Conservatives are like Buckleys, tastes like shyte, but it works.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
I can only speak for what has gone on in my 36 years of life.

Liberals had grown fat, lethargic and pompous as they see themselves as Canada's natural governing party. Talk about arrogance. Dion is a huge step in the wrong direction. The LPC will be on the outside looking in for as long as Dion is their leader. If anyone can actually call him that with a straight face that is.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
OMG CDNbear, I need to qoute that.

I can't stop laughing, that was amazing!

Do you I have your permission to put that qoute in my signature?

--------------

Now that I slowly have stopped laughing.

It used to be the Reform and PC split the right, but the right is purely to the Conservatives.

But NOW our left is split by the NDP, Liberals, and a small chunk from the Bloc Quebecois & Green.

Liberals are sweet but they destroy us, the Conservatives are tough, but they help us.

I don't create my impressions of Canadians firmly based on the internet:

Due to, the internet is politically, liberal..

So I think the majority of Canadians are refreshed with the current gov. and are going to give the Cons. a majority.

Its like: they got to prove themselves with a minority, and now we give them a majority.

Minorities are so useless...

I like Harper, he is refreshing.

I can never, EVER, see Dion running this nation.

I will say this, if Ignatieff had gotten the nomination, I would be worried about the Conservatives. But with Dion, I am pretty confident about them.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm going to form my own party. I'll call it Angry B*stards. I expect to get at least a minority once the platform is prepared.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
We should have a Action Party, thats sole purpose would be to go in parliament and reform our political system then leave and have an election.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I'm going to form my own party. I'll call it Angry B*stards. I expect to get at least a minority once the platform is prepared.
Now wouldn't that be funny :) As far as third parties go I was thinking of voting for the freedom party.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
OMG CDNbear, I need to qoute that.

I can't stop laughing, that was amazing!

Do you I have your permission to put that qoute in my signature?

--------------

Now that I slowly have stopped laughing.

It used to be the Reform and PC split the right, but the right is purely to the Conservatives.

But NOW our left is split by the NDP, Liberals, and a small chunk from the Bloc Quebecois & Green.

Liberals are sweet but they destroy us, the Conservatives are tough, but they help us.

I don't create my impressions of Canadians firmly based on the internet:

Due to, the internet is politically, liberal..

So I think the majority of Canadians are refreshed with the current gov. and are going to give the Cons. a majority.

Its like: they got to prove themselves with a minority, and now we give them a majority.

Minorities are so useless...

I like Harper, he is refreshing.

I can never, EVER, see Dion running this nation.

I will say this, if Ignatieff had gotten the nomination, I would be worried about the Conservatives. But with Dion, I am pretty confident about them.
Of course you can west. I'm glad you enjoyed it!!!

I'm with ya tamarin, when can we start?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

The liberal party will form the minority government and maybe the majority because the liberal party has twelve-year track record for helping all Canadians and twelve years of majority satisfied Canadian voters.

This is the very reason the conservative party is panicking backtracking on their controversial decisions.

The conservatives realize that their days are numbered.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The liberal party will form the minority government and maybe the majority because the liberal party has twelve-year track record for helping all Canadians and twelve years of majority satisfied Canadian voters.

This is the very reason the conservative party is panicking backtracking on their controversial decisions.

The conservatives realize that their days are numbered.
No offence, but is this going to be the sum total of your contributions around here?

Liberals did great and Conservatives did bad, with no supporting evidence?

If the Canadian ctizenry was a group of, how did you put it, "satisfied Canadian voters", They would not have lost their regimes control in the last election.

Do you have some form of data to back up your claims, or is your whole premice OP/ED material?

Especially since the Conservatives are leading in the polls...

I think your blind loyalty to the LPoC is blinding you to reality.