Do you support a ban on the Incandescent Bulb?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
There seems to be some noise about banning the incandescent bulb. Apparently florescent bulbs use ¼ of the power. I’m not sure how the quality of the light compares. Personally I much prefer incandescent light and I wonder about the psychological effects of florescent light. Will it cause an increase in the suicide rate? It also heard that wood fireplaces are no longer allowed. I never new that until recently.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Fluorescents don't work in the cold, so I don't want a ban on incandescents. I like to be able to see out on the front porch in winter.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Let there be light!

Surely the Compact Florescents will be improved if the majority of people decide to go that way. Like everything else, each company will strive to have a better product, and we can only benefit. Already there is a brighter bulb than the yellowy inferior ones I have in my basement at the moment.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Fluorescents don't work in the cold, so I don't want a ban on incandescents. I like to be able to see out on the front porch in winter.

Fluorescents work in the cold, depending on the type of ballast being used. The ballast needs to have a low cold start otherwise, as you've stated it won't work.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Personally I much prefer incandescent light and I wonder about the psychological effects of florescent light. Will it cause an increase in the suicide rate? It also heard that wood fireplaces are no longer allowed. I never new that until recently.

Incandesent type lighting is achieved at 2800 Kelvin whereas "fluorescent" must reach around 5000 Kelvin. It doesn't matter the technology being implemented, what matters is the temperature being achieved to give you the "type" of lighting you want.

Air Advocate

Nominee Member
Mar 4, 2007
I don't think they considered all the issues

Unless some one is going to start a refund or return systems for the new lights since they are just another piece of hazardous waste. Mismanagement 101 when will they ever think of prevention? Just imagine how many light bulbs in your life time you will personally dispose of? How much space will they take?

What ever we do we need to think of the future what is going to happen to all this waste.

Why do you not make it the manufactures responsible for the same amount of waste as they generate.

What ever steps we take to save energy we should be thinking of disposal procedures.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Bio-engineered jellyfish. Bio-degradable, place them in a fish bowl, maybe they would increase their bioluminescence in the presence of some chemical nutrient.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My house has electric heating. While straight electric heating would not have been my choice, it is efficient. By the same token incandescent light bulbs inside the house add to the heating provided by the electric heating elements and help heat the house. Once we get the electricity inside the house, it is 100 percent effifient. Every watt gets you exactly one watt of heating. A ban on incandescent bulbs? I don't think so. Some lights need incandescent bulbs to put out the required amount of light. I whole heartedly support using fluorescent or LED bulbs where they work. Where they don't, I'll stick with incandescents.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... okay, another thread where my disease comes up as an issue. As some of you may know from other threads, I suffer from fibromyalgia. Fibro is a collection of problems (syndrome is a better term than disease), that is best described by simply calling it 'irritable everything disease'. Any stimulation that might irritate a normal person, can become drastically painful for a person with my condition, because our nerves don't possess the ability to turn off properly once they have turned on. Light can be a HUGE issue. Any slight flickering in a light can cause massive nausea and headaches. Too bright of a light can cause aggravation of the optic nerve, making my vision blur and distort (this is a new treat my optometrist just diagnosed in me, yay!). Compact flourescent lights, while they are wonderfully efficient, have a long way to come before I could live with them all through my house. I'd be a mess if I had to switch to using them exclusively. They don't dim well, and they are often too 'white' of a light. On the plus side, they are actually better for your mental health and my plants if you buy them in full spectrum, than most incandescents are. I'd love to be able to make the switch to them exclusively once I can buy them in various shades, buy them so that they can dim properly without flickering, and get all those options in full spectrum. Oh, and with better options for outside lights so that they don't take as long to warm up and turn on in the cold. standing at the door for 30 seconds waiting for your outside light to come on gets annoying.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
It won't help much to exchange one incandescent lightbulb for a compact flourescent, thats just a tiny saving of electricity, 50 watts maybe.
However, when it amounts to saving more than 500 gigawatts over a year because ALL Canadians changed ALL their incandescents, then we have done something good, something that would not have even been noticeable without all of us doing it.
Working together to solve global warming feels good. We will want more. Some might call that enlightenment, not just for an individual, but for a species.

Imagine if the whole world got together on this. It would feel great. Don't shut yourself out of such an experience, that would be a waste. Embrace it, learn to live like that, where we all work together to make life better [why is that such a rare thing?].

I am reading the typical backlash to change here. Thoughts like this: "I want lighting that works and you can't beat the brightness of incandescents". Ya, have you tried? I read fine print all the time with CFs. Those are just excuses to remain "as we are" because change means doing something different, or maybe just doing something.

Instead, consider what a great thing it is that we are all working towards a goal, together. It won't be the solution, but it will help to switch over to CFs.[compact flourescents]. We can save millions of tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere.

Aside from global enlightenement, I too have Fibromyalgia, been battling it for 25 years now. Its not nice [but it is real, for all you doubters]. The flourescent lighting is fine for me, but if it bothers some, I believe it. You can make up for it by not running your car or something.

I have been using compact flourescents for 15 years. Two of them are original purchases, so I am getting all the money back just by not needing to change them. They work fine, stop whining!! [exccept for Fibros]

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Before we throw the baby out with the bathwater, stop to think a bit. In my current house, in the Winter, all the heat is provided by electricity. Whether that heat comes from heating elements or from electric light bulbs, it is irrelevant. Both are one hundred percent efficient as far as heating goes.

In the Summer, it is completely different. In our living room there are three brass trilight lamps with 50 to 150 watt bulbs. Fluorescent bulbs won't work in these lamps. Nor will they work on the dining room chandelier which has a dimmer feature. All the pot lights will be replaced with LED bulbs and all others will be changed to fluorescent.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Before we throw the baby out with the bathwater, stop to think a bit. In my current house, in the Winter, all the heat is provided by electricity. Whether that heat comes from heating elements or from electric light bulbs, it is irrelevant. Both are one hundred percent efficient as far as heating goes.

In the Summer, it is completely different. In our living room there are three brass trilight lamps with 50 to 150 watt bulbs. Fluorescent bulbs won't work in these lamps. Nor will they work on the dining room chandelier which has a dimmer feature. All the pot lights will be replaced with LED bulbs and all others will be changed to fluorescent.

Not sure about the chandelier but there are tri-light and dimmer freindly fluorescents. I hope I can find LED for my pot lights as they are 50 watts each. That would be a big savings as these are our ambeint light in the family room.

stevek

Mar 9, 2007
It also heard that wood fireplaces are no longer allowed. I never new that until recently.

Where did you hear about the banning of wood fireplaces? As a rural dweller I believe it is a required back-up to electrically produced heat. Electrical infrastucture is too fragile to be relied on totally. (I lived through the ice storm and the only thing heating my house was wood.)

I also believe that wood burning is more natural than oil/gas/propane, after all mankind has been using wood for millenia.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Having just gone thur a retrofit --the energy guy noted that the regular light bulb also throws heat and lots of it so in the winter you are not really saving by using the very expensive bulbs --