Why would Harper even want to call an election?

CDN87

Nominee Member
Dec 24, 2006
Really, whoever calls an election with just 32% support has to be the biggest idiot politician I have ever known. I don't know why some people say that Harper will call an election, but if he does it'll be the last thing he'll do as PM. I would only feel safe calling an election ONLY if my party is above 40%. Anything below it is completely beyond me. I don't see much left in Harper really. He has no life in Ontario and Quebec.

I say he's toast before this summer. Do you agree?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Really, whoever calls an election with just 32% support has to be the biggest idiot politician I have ever known. I don't know why some people say that Harper will call an election, but if he does it'll be the last thing he'll do as PM. I would only feel safe calling an election ONLY if my party is above 40%. Anything below it is completely beyond me. I don't see much left in Harper really. He has no life in Ontario and Quebec.

I say he's toast before this summer. Do you agree?

I agree, and I don't think the choice will be his. I suspect the other parties will bring the government down by summer.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I like Harper.

I think he will get another minority.

I hate minorities though.. they are so counter-productive.

Our SO OLD system needs to be reformed.. and get rid of these minorities, and lets get some stable 2-4 year reins of gov.

My.. its pathetic having 4 minorities in 5 years.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Harper has continually said that he has no intention of calling an election. Why is he not believed? Probably because we have become so cynical about the things our politicians say. Remember when the sponsorship scandal exploded in the news? Paul martin declared that he would not call an election until all the facts were uncovered. Three weeks later he called one because he knew if the facts were out he would not have even achieved his minority. I would be disheartened if Harper pulled a liberal trick and called an election just because his party is ahead in the polls .

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I agree with the idea that I don't believe calling an election will be harper's idea...it will just come to him. I like minority governments, I think they are far more productive than majority governments, and I can only hope that harper is out come the next election. I do not like that man. That isn't saying he hasn't done some good things...but, overall, he is not someone I can support.

blugoo

Nominee Member
Aug 15, 2006
I don't mind minority governments. I think it keeps everybody more or less accountable, and there isn't 4 years of autocratic rule from the PMO.

People supposedly always say they don't want elections so often. I say, why not? What's wrong with having the people make their voice heard more often instead of less?

That said, I don't think Harper wants an election now. He wants to wait until he has a chance of a majority. But it won't be up to him.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
I don't mind minority governments. I think it keeps everybody more or less accountable, and there isn't 4 years of autocratic rule from the PMO.

People supposedly always say they don't want elections so often. I say, why not? What's wrong with having the people make their voice heard more often instead of less?

That said, I don't think Harper wants an election now. He wants to wait until he has a chance of a majority. But it won't be up to him.

i cant vote yet, but it seems to me having lots of elections costs the taxpayers allot of money, which seems a waste of money to me

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I don't know if this is any indication but CBC Toronto just recieved a months supply of video tape yesterday. I can't say how I know but I saw it go there. :|

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
How does 1 month of video equal election I missed something pls info enlighten up lift me --lol EhEh

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
How does 1 month of video equal election I missed something pls info enlighten up lift me --lol EhEh

I'm not aware of any event going on that they would need that much tape for. The last election same thing happened. Simalarly with the olympics. Just is out of the ordinary for them as I see all the video tape they order.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Harper could force an election by tabling a budget the oppostion can't vote for.

If Harper is serious when he says he has no desire for an election why spend money on attack ads?

He's lying.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
Harper could force an election by tabling a budget the oppostion can't vote for.

If Harper is serious when he says he has no desire for an election why spend money on attack ads?

He's lying.

No he's learned his lesson from the previous elections. If your opponent can't be bother to define himself, define him the way you want him to be. The conservatives have done a wonderful job at the Liberal game. If I say Dion you say - environmental failure, unfocused, barely speaks english, has difficulty making decisions. You may wish it were otherwise but that's what the Canadian television viewer is learning.

A good example of how well this works is the recent poll that showed that Canadians still believe Harper has a hidden agenda (45% of those polled, down from 65% a year or two ago), that is the result of years of Liberals hammering home that message everytime they could. The Cons have just turned the game on Dion that's all.

RUEZ

Nominee Member
Feb 12, 2007
PG

He's lying.
That's rediculous, Dion has given him every indication that he will not support the budget regardless of what it holds.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario

He's lying.

He has no intention of running another campaign to have another minority is what he is really saying...

I noticed a statement in the first threat saying he's be an idiot for going to the polls with 30% canadian elections are alway in the 30-35% range I'm not sure there has ever been a 40+ popular vote..

btw a poll out yesterday and anoth today puts the conservative way out in front, and popular support for Dion sliding

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
That's rediculous, Dion has given him every indication that he will not support the budget regardless of what it holds.

The Libs can't take out this government alone.

Again, if they don't want an election why spend money on attack ads before one is even called?

Harper knows what he is doing and so do I.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
No he's learned his lesson from the previous elections. If your opponent can't be bother to define himself, define him the way you want him to be. The conservatives have done a wonderful job at the Liberal game. If I say Dion you say - environmental failure, unfocused, barely speaks english, has difficulty making decisions. You may wish it were otherwise but that's what the Canadian television viewer is learning.

A good example of how well this works is the recent poll that showed that Canadians still believe Harper has a hidden agenda (45% of those polled, down from 65% a year or two ago), that is the result of years of Liberals hammering home that message everytime they could. The Cons have just turned the game on Dion that's all.

No, he is bending the truth, just like the Libs did in the last election.......and it turned out to be a big mistake for them. Canadians rejected the american style attack ads, they could do it again if Dion takes the high road....but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't want an election but I'll spend money on attack ads for no reason, but let me be clear I don't want an election.....is the bus warmed up yet?

It couldn't be anymore transparent.

blugoo

Nominee Member
Aug 15, 2006
i cant vote yet, but it seems to me having lots of elections costs the taxpayers allot of money, which seems a waste of money to me

Well first, it depends on what you call lots. Having one every 3 months for example, is excessive and a waste, for sure. Having one every 2 years or so, on the other hand, keeps politicians more on their toes.

As far as waste goes, how many billions have been wasted because of arrogant governments who don't feel they have to account to the people for another handful of years, and can maybe sweep it under the rug by then?

A few million for an election seems awful cheap by comparison.

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
He has no intention of running another campaign to have another minority is what he is really saying...

I noticed a statement in the first threat saying he's be an idiot for going to the polls with 30% canadian elections are alway in the 30-35% range...
Quite and correct too - no way will he call one - what's the point of winning another minority - but, if Celine forces one over the budget, that's different, the public will punish the Liberals with a timeout akin to the Conservatives under Mulroney - meanwhile, the Tory attack ads have helped Charest in Qweebek as you will see by the third week of March - in the meantime, all Harper need do is simply carry on doing exactly what he's doing - for the nutters, foilers, Lieberal and Dipper sycophants out there - that would be called LEADERSHIP - a concept most if not all the aforementioned have difficulty envisioning, let alone understanding. . . .

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
No, he is bending the truth, just like the Libs did in the last election.......and it turned out to be a big mistake for them. Canadians rejected the american style attack ads, they could do it again if Dion takes the high road....but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't want an election but I'll spend money on attack ads for no reason, but let me be clear I don't want an election.....is the bus warmed up yet?

It couldn't be anymore transparent.

You're confusing reality with perception. Of course he's bending the truth and the 1% of canadians who pay attention to this (like us) will be able to see it for what it is. However for the bulk of the Canadian voters - those same people who support Kyoto but have no idea what it may mean - they will be easily lead. The problem with this kind of attack ad is that it works, so this is the kind of thing political parties do.

Now regarding spending on this ad without an election in sight. Well if there were an election on the go then all of this spending would be monitored (I think - I'm a bit fuzzy on the election spending rules). Since there is no election at the moment the spending is just political spending. And since the Conservatives have a bunch of cash it's a good investment in keeping the popularity of the opponent on the decline.

Last edited: