60 years ago, there were no Canadians

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Up until that point, Canadian nationals had been legally defined as British subjects.
Today is the 60th anniversary of The Canadian Citizenship Act

For your information

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Piffle. My dad was born in 1925 and he was born a Canadian citizen. Semantics might get your rocks off but it's mighty cheap geology.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
My parents were born in 1908 Canadian citizens. The citizenship was brought out for immigrants who arrived after 1960, everyone else was born a citizen.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Legally, there was nothing in Canadian laws for such an animal called '' Canadian citizen'' before 1947.
True, everybody called themselves ''Canadians'' but legally, they (and I) were all ''British subjects''

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Legally, there was nothing in Canadian laws for such an animal called '' Canadian citizen'' before 1947.
True, everybody called themselves ''Canadians'' but legally, they (and I) were all ''British subjects''
I would like to apologize, I was wrong. This morning on the CBCNW they said that before this Act we were British citizens. You learn something new every day, especially here on CC.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They may have been Canadians, but they could probably fall under the heading of Kanatians. And they certainly were here well beyond 60 years ago.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Yes Kanatians ,everyone else was citizen by immigrant ion ,,kinda scary

Wonder what a new immigrant Canadian citizen was untitled to in the stolen/funny acquired land

I say stolen meaning it really was someone Else's ,but I imagine sharing the vast land took on a different meaning

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
My mother,born in Saint John,New Brunswick,in 1914,married my father,a Danish immigrant, in 1939.

When he applied for Canadian citizenship, my mother was told that she also had to apply...she had never stepped foot OUTSIDE of Canada.Seems she lost(?) her citizenship when she married a foreigner.
Shortly after WW11,the laws were changed...partly,one presumes,because of the influx of immigrants marrying Canadian(or British)citizens.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I read in this book on Canadian flags that Desmond Morton wrote that we are "subjects of the queen, crown and monarchy." It is offensive to be subject to that decaying, meritless family. People still think that the gov-gen or queen could take over in times of political crisis. This is repulsive and undemocratic.

Time to end the Canadian link with the British crown and dump the monarchy.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
...and we keep paying millions of $$$ each year for a governor general and provincial lieutenant governors
What a waste

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
According to the booklet, "Symbols of Canda", published by Heritage Canada, the Minister of Supply and Services Canada 1995, Ottawa.

On page 7 it states under The Canadian Crown, The Canadian historian W. L. Morton points out, because of this allegiance to a person uniting Canadians at the top, "there is no pressure for uniformity .. Anyone .. can be a subject of the Queen and a citizen of Canada without in any way ceasing to be himself."

The text states the monarchy is thus well adapted to Canada's regional , bilingual, and multicultural character. Personally, I don't get it. The monarchy was a symbol of British authority in Canada, but now it is dried leaf on a tree that has lost its purpose for most of us. There used to be a mystery to the the monarchy? Now? Just a bunch of dated richies who have little to do. Equality demands they get turfed.