Federal opposition parties unite to pass pro-Kyoto motion

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario

By Dennis Bueckert
OTTAWA (CP) - The three opposition parties have joined forces to pass a motion calling on the Conservative government to confirm Canada's commitment to the Kyoto Protocol.
The Liberal motion, which passed 161-115 in the House of Commons Monday, is not binding, but it could embarrass the Tories and put more public pressure on them. "I think the government is feeling the heat," said Liberal Leader Stephane Dion, who introduced the motion.
"The key question is whether the government is going to accept strong measures and get moving," said NDP Leader Jack Layton.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who wasn't present for the vote, has said the Kyoto targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions are unachievable.
The fact that the NDP and Bloc Quebecois supported the Liberal motion could spell trouble for the government down the road.
That's because the Liberals have introduced a bill with similar wording that would be binding if passed.
Also, the unanimity of the opposition parties on the Kyoto targets could make it very difficult for the government to salvage its centrepiece environmental legislation, the Clean Air Act.
"My hope is that what we'll be able to achieve at the end of the day is a recognition that these Kyoto obligations are ones that we have to honour," said Layton.
The Clean Air Act contains no reference to Kyoto, and it would be difficult for the Tories to accept the Kyoto targets now, having ridiculed them so often.
NDP environment critic Nathan Cullen made it clear the party's support for the Liberal bill was not the result of affection for the Liberals or Dion.
"Unfortunately, the mover Mr. Dion has very little credibility on climate change. He was unable to deliver as environment minister and now he's trying from the opposition benches."
Under the Kyoto accord, negotiated and ratified by the Liberals over Tory opposition, Canada is committed to a six per cent cut in greenhouse emissions from 1990 levels by 2012.
Experts say the target is likely not achievable through domestic action alone, but could be met through purchasing credits in UN-approved emissions-cutting projects abroad.
By some estimates this could cost about $10 billion by 2012. Harper has rejected the idea of international emissions trading, suggesting the money sent abroad would be wasted.
Most governments have approved international trading because cuts can be achieved more cheaply in developing countries, and the promise of technology transfer is seen as a vital incentive for poor countries to support Kyoto.
The motion passed Monday says climate change is "the most serious ecological threat of our time" and calls on the government to honour "the principles and targets of the Kyoto Protocol in their entirety."
It calls on the government to publish a credible plan to reduce Canada's greenhouse gas emissions including a 'cap and trade' emission reductions system and regulations for industry.
So far the government has rejected a cap and trade system, preferring intensity targets, which would require industry to reduce emissions in per unit of production, but not limit them in absolute terms.
The motion takes an indirect swipe at the Clean Air Act, saying the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA), already on the books, is available immediately to launch the necessary action.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

snfu73

disturber of the peace
When I hear Mr. Harper tell us that we cannot meet Kyoto standards, I feel that Mr. Harper is telling us that he does not have faith in the ability of Canadians to adapt and change and rally together and work together to create a difference, and I find that disturbing and sad. I believe we can meet Kyoto standards. I don't care if any other country does it or not, or even tries...but I know that Canada and Canadians CAN do it, and I'm tired of Mr. Harper's lack of faith in our abilities.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
When I hear Mr. Harper tell us that we cannot meet Kyoto standards, I feel that Mr. Harper is telling us that he does not have faith in the ability of Canadians to adapt and change and rally together and work together to create a difference, and I find that disturbing and sad. I believe we can meet Kyoto standards. I don't care if any other country does it or not, or even tries...but I know that Canada and Canadians CAN do it, and I'm tired of Mr. Harper's lack of faith in our abilities.

This is ludicrous.

Ghg emissions have risen radically......in 2004 emissions wwere 35% ABOVE Kyoto targets, and have only risen since.

No one thinks it is rational for us to actually cut emissions by about 40%......they want us to "buy credits" in UN sponsored plans.....in other words, give billions of dollars tio the UN to hand over to China......YEAH RIGHT!

This is the most disgusting, the absolute lowest thing the scum-Liberals have pulled off since Adscam. I am PISSED> Dion did SFA as environment minister, under the watch of his gov't GHG rose to this point, yet that SOB has shown his REAL Liberal colours.....lie, decieve, cheat, do ANYTHING to discredit the Tories......blame them for your own faults.........absolute scum.

Mr. Dion just fell out of my good graces.....HARD!~

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I thought we hammered all this out in several other threads...

For the record.

Kyoto=Social engineering/global welfare/global profit distrobution.
Conservative=Cheese eating surrender monkey, pandering to the media blinded sheeple, political flip flop artisans.
Liberal=Hypocritical pandering hack, hell bent on looking green at the expense of the Canadian economy.
NDP=D'OH!
Climate change=Real threat, but is not going to be fixed with Kyoto.
China=Worlds largest exempt poluter, building a new coal fire plant every three weeks.
Canada=One sore ass after being financialy reemed by Kyoto.