PM Harper's response to the IPCC report

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
PM Harper's response to the [Feb 2nd 2007]IPCC report on global warming was to point out that the opposition parties here just complain about the conservative's response to global warming , whereas Harper is complaining about the opposition parties.

That outta help a lot, thanks for the Harpocracy.

On a more positive note, here is his Environment Minister, 'talking a better jibjab' than his boss did at least:
'Planet's future is at stake,' says Baird
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/02/02/canada-climate-070202.html

and for referance, about the IPCC report:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/020107T.shtml

Unfortunatly, there is one statement in the report that will be used to avoid action:
"The IPCC, grouping 2,500 scientists from 130 countries, is also set to say that oceans will keep rising for more than 1,000 years even if governments stabilize greenhouse gas emissions."
- it sounds like there is no use to reduce our fossil fuels emissions because it is going to be bad anyhow. Thats not true, the severity of the changes will depend on what we do in the next 10 years, it will help a lot to reduce emissions as much as possible.

At least they DID blame FOSSIL FUEL EMISSONS, mentioning it by name, another first in these warnings.

Will Canada do it's part to lead the world out of the heat? Other nations are willing to do this much:
"Thirty-five industrial nations aim to cut emissions of greenhouse gases to 5 percent below 1990 levels by 2008-12"
NOT Canada!! Canada is on track to maybe stabalise emissions by 2012, not get down to where we were in 1990, the accepted benchmark for getting started - actual levels of emissions that will not be ADDING to global warming will have to get back to about 1965 levels. That target is achievable by embracing alternative energy and reducing our use of fossil fuels to about 10% of what we use now, completely do-able within 10 years if we start now and stop 'blaming the other guys".

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What's I find remarkable about Harpolong Cashidy and his merry band of godwhacks is there 180
degree pivot on the issue, has a change of colour ever occured more swiftly, the moral of this story is that public opinion and reality still count.

PS: slime, scum, scabs and boogers are green too.:laughing7::wave:

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
What's I find remarkable about Harpolong Cashidy and his merry band of godwhacks is there 180
degree pivot on the issue, has a change of colour ever occured more swiftly, the moral of this story is that public opinion and reality still count.

PS: slime, scum, scabs and boogers are green too.:laughing7::wave:

And will continue to count as long as they are in a minority position.
If, by some act of evil they get a majority in the next federal elections, their concern for the avergae people and our particular needs will fully evaporate.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
And will continue to count as long as they are in a minority position.
If, by some act of evil they get a majority in the next federal elections, their concern for the avergae people and our particular needs will fully evaporate.

FOR SURE BROTHER SANCTUS, AN ACT OF GREAT EVIL IT WOULD BE.:wave:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What do you all think the chances are of a Green being elected now? I think it would be great personally, also I think it would be great if they could be in the leaders debates, not likely though until they can at least win a seat.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
What do you all think the chances are of a Green being elected now? I think it would be great personally, also I think it would be great if they could be in the leaders debates, not likely though until they can at least win a seat.

I don't know to be honest with you! I did, before the last election, talk to the canidate in my riding from the Green Party for quite some time. Interesting platform. I suspect they may be a bit too on the edge for the average voter. I wouldn't mind them being a presence in the House though, and would certainly prefer them to the Bloc.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't know to be honest with you! I did, before the last election, talk to the canidate in my riding from the Green Party for quite some time. Interesting platform. I suspect they may be a bit too on the edge for the average voter. I wouldn't mind them being a presence in the House though, and would certainly prefer them to the Bloc.

They definitely are pretty edgy, half the problem is association. When I put a green party sign on my lawn a few years ago, nearly every random person who asked about it thought I was a marijuana party supporter.

If people knew what their platform consisted of, they might not think they are so bad.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
They definitely are pretty edgy, half the problem is association. When I put a green party sign on my lawn a few years ago, nearly every random person who asked about it thought I was a marijuana party supporter.

If people knew what their platform consisted of, they might not think they are so bad.

I remember telling a friend of mine, also a priest, that I had been investigating them and his reaction was just about the same. He even said, "but they're radicals, aren't they?":)

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
I fully support the Green party. I would never vote for them. But I like the fact that they will siphon off votes from the NDP and Liberals.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
The only good reason Harper wouldn't be aware of the NDP five point plan would be he's incapable of listening. Layton should be playing T-Ball with that lying fascist's tender parts instead of stroking them. (yes, I'm losing patience with them)

the Green Party have a brand name, a kiss-up for a boss and absolutely no budget plan.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Which is why they'd make a crummy government, but I think their presence can't be a bad thing.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Harper's an a$$. Jack Lenin is a Naive Dense Pussy. I don't know what to make of the Liberals these days, but I would suspect that they'll be the usual say-or-do-anything-to-get-or-stay-in-power party, greens have some good ideas but they scare me economically, Dippers haven't got a clue about fiscal responsibility either, the Bloc is ....... well .......... the Bloc, etc.
I don't have much hope for any of them having much intelligence. But perhaps a coalotion gov't might be okay.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
The only good reason Harper wouldn't be aware of the NDP five point plan would be he's incapable of listening. Layton should be playing T-Ball with that lying fascist's tender parts instead of stroking them. (yes, I'm losing patience with them)

the Green Party have a brand name, a kiss-up for a boss and absolutely no budget plan.
I saw you hanging around the thread and thought I throw a slow one down the middle of the plate.

It must sting when your guy gets in bed with the devil. Has your allegience moved a step further left?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I fully support the Green party. I would never vote for them. But I like the fact that they will siphon off votes from the NDP and Liberals.

So you don't "fully" support them at all. If you did, why wouldn't you vote for them. Honestly though, I don't think the Green Party even factors as a major voice for anything in federal politics. I would guess that the majority of voters either do not really know who they are, or if they have heard of them, could care less what they believe or advocate.

When all is said and done, Canada has been, and remains pretty much a two party country. Or, to put it another way, one can almost predict the next government will either be Liberal or Conservative.

Anything else is a diversion.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I remember telling a friend of mine, also a priest, that I had been investigating them and his reaction was just about the same. He even said, "but they're radicals, aren't they?":)

These are radical times, requiring radical thinking and radical action, that's not a radically new solution.:wave:

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
I support their right to be a federal political party.

I don't need to vote for them to support their right to form a political party.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...Dippers haven't got a clue about fiscal responsibility either...

actually most NDP provinicial governments can go toe-to-toe with the best of them.

for the most part balancing a budget is pretty easy if you have the brains to pay attention to your staff.