Feds say Six Nations land claim is invalid

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Feds say Six Nations land claim is invalid

Land claims made by the Six Nations Confederacy near Caledonia, Ont. will not hold up in court, the federal government has said.
A Department of Justice report presented to the Six Nations Confederacy earlier this week made the statement.
Representatives of the federal and provincial government are negotiating with the Six Nations officials in an effort to end an 11-month occupation of a housing development.
Federal negotiator Barbara McDougall said although the government says Six Nations does not have "a legitimate claim to that particular property," it does not mean that solutions to the dispute cannot be found.
Six Nations spokesperson Hazel Hill said negotiators for the aboriginal group do not believe the report reflects the true situation.
Hill added that although all sides are frustrated by the slow pace of talks, she is confident the dispute can be resolved.
In June, the Ontario government purchased the land at the centre of the dispute from a housing developer. The property is being held in trust by the province until negotiations reach a conclusion.
With files from The Canadian Press

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ledonia_feds_070127/20070127/?hub=TorontoHome

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds fishy to me. The developer bought the land from somebody with a view to building houses on it, presumably, to make a profit. The Ontario government bought the land from the developer, likely giving the developer some kind of a profit. My guess is that the property will be eventually given to the First Nations and the only loser will be the poor taxpayer. Pity we bought the land before the ruling was made that the First Nations had no claim.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sounds fishy to me. The developer bought the land from somebody with a view to building houses on it, presumably, to make a profit. The Ontario government bought the land from the developer, likely giving the developer some kind of a profit. My guess is that the property will be eventually given to the First Nations and the only loser will be the poor taxpayer. Pity we bought the land before the ruling was made that the First Nations had no claim.
I would agree with you, had there been a ruling.

The Feds have only stated that the Six Nations have no valid claim. That is tantamount to the criminal telling the Crown prosticutor that he/she has no case. It doesn't work that way juan. Much like many posters here like to revel in their own opinion adnausium, just because the Feds see it is so, does not make it thus.

The matter has not been infront of a Judge, thus the validity of the governments claim has not been tested, they are merely flexing their interpretation of the documentation at hand. I would have thought, someone as critical as you would question the governements position, but as I am well aware, people are oft swayed by their biases.