Why do you eat meat?

Rawisbetter!
I would like to know why.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
The taste, no tofu crap can replace the taste of a medium rare steak.

Rawisbetter!
So you don't think it's wrong to eat meat?

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Rawisbetter!View Post

Ethically? No. Is it bad for you? Yes, if you are a swine and live on bacon and hamburgers.

Rawisbetter!
So it doesn't bother you that innocent animals are being killed for something we don't need to survive?

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation

So it doesn't bother you that innocent animals are being killed for something we don't need to survive?

No, I don't lose any sleep over it.

Tonington
Thats the nature of the world. We have to live off other organisms, and doing it without animal protein is complicated if you want to achieve the balance of amino acids a balanced diet provides. There are ethical choices one can make when picking out their foods if they are so inclined.

thomaska

I personally only eat steaks from convicted felon cattle.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
meat is great. I eat it for health reasons, enjoyment, and variety. Eating animal protein, unless you have a medical condition, is the best way to keep your diet balanced. I do think however, that ethical treatment of food animals is something that bears addressing. Just because I'm going to eat it, doesn't mean it deserves to be treated cruelly.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

I personally only eat steaks from convicted felon cattle.

LOLLLLL I gotta borrow that one!

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

I don't need carrots to survive but I eat them anyway. The question is, do we get any value from eating meat. As a species, there is mounting evidence that the answer is yes.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...-14-1999a.html

As individuals, the question is open for debate. What isn't really open for debate is whether ot not meat is unhealthy in proper quantities. It isn't.

As for being bothered that "innocent animals" are killed I, like the lion don't view it in moral terms. As long as I am not wasting resources I see nothing wrong. In fact, proper animal husbandry coupled with proper farming practises is the best course of actions. If you have some spriritual reasons for not wanting to eat meat then that is entirely your perogative but I don't view the animal's innocence as relevant.

darkbeaver
Republican

What about the innocent vegetables that are slaughtered every year. Peeled , diced, boiled, the screaming parsnips haunt my sleep.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

What about the innocent vegetables that are slaughtered every year. Peeled , diced, boiled, the screaming parsnips haunt my sleep.

Carrot Juice is Murder

Listen up brothers and sisters, come here my desperate tale
I speak of our friends of nature, trapped in the dirt like a jail
Vegtables live in oppression, served on out tables each night
This killing of veggies is madness, I say we take up the fight
Salads are only for murderers, cole slawís a fascist regime
Donít think that they donít have feelings, just cause a radish canít scream

Iíve heard the screams of the vegetables, watching their skins being peeled
Grated and steamed with no mercy.. how do you think that feels?
Carrot juice constitutes murder.. greenhouses prisons for slaves
Itís time to stop all this gardening.. letís call a spade a spade.

I saw a man eating celery, so I beat him black and blue
If he ever touches a sprout again, Iíll bite him clean in two
Iím a political prisoner, trapped in a windowless cage
ícause I stopped the slaughter of turnips, by killing five men in a rage
I told the judge when he sentenced me, this is my finest hour..
Iíd kill those farmers again, just to save one more cauliflower

How low as people do we dare to stoop
Making our broccolis bleed in the soup
Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes
Let potted plants free, donít mash that potato!

Is a spade is a spade is a spade is a... spade

If god didn't want people to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

selfactivated

I didnt see this.....You are totally wrong.....some people cant metabolise vegtable proteins. I tried being Vegan for 6 months and got very anemic and very sick. My doc told me I couldnt pull it off and I wasnt to try anymore.

RomSpaceKnight
Humans are omnivorous animals. While vegan diets are viable, they are very difficult to follow religiously. To be vegan for moral issues is close to being religious. I sure hope you do not own anything leather. Shoes? Belts? What about the rape and pillage of old growth forest to supply us with paper. Do you boycott all paper products? Are the ones you use certified to be NOT from old growth forests? Choices have to be made based on morals, health and costs (yes, money does influence choices).

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnightView Post

I sure hope you do not own anything leather. Shoes? Belts?

I find it especially funny when people who DO eat meat think it's wrong to wear leather. What the heck do they think should be done with the skins of all the animals they eat? If animals are being slaughtered for meat, then all parts should be put to the best use possible. I'd be angrier if people DIDN'T wear leather.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Tofu anyone??

Tonington
Mmm, that looks good. I eat tofu from time to time, and I actually don't eat that much meat, probably less than I should be eating. I do tend to eat more dairy and whole wheats than they recommend. But that's not because of ethical choices.

selfactivated
no thank you. Ive tried it like a good girlie should try everything once.

canadarocks
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I find it especially funny when people who DO eat meat think it's wrong to wear leather. What the heck do they think should be done with the skins of all the animals they eat? If animals are being slaughtered for meat, then all parts should be put to the best use possible. I'd be angrier if people DIDN'T wear leather.

My friend was a vegetarian for a bit and finall I got her to see how hyocritical it was for her to wear leather and carry a leather purse, plussssssssss, she had a rabbit coat!

canadarocks
I eat no meat or fish-no animals life of any kind. Been eating this way for years now.

chairmanmiaow
A lot of wildlife is killed by clearing land for agriculture plus all the pestecides and chemicals used so even vegetarians are responsible for the death of animals and organic farming does not help because it requires two to three times more land to grow the same amount of food as regular farming so that means bigger fields and more wild habitat lost.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Mmm, that looks good. I eat tofu from time to time, and I actually don't eat that much meat, probably less than I should be eating. I do tend to eat more dairy and whole wheats than they recommend. But that's not because of ethical choices.

Having a husband with gout, we eat a lot of tofu. Most animal proteins, and many veggies, contain a compound that is bad for gout. So I use a lot of tofu to help supplement his protein. Red meat is a necessity for me though, as I get very anemic. So, it's a major balancing act, trying to keep him from having an attack, and me from being ill. It sometimes means I get to cook two different meals.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by canadarocksView Post

My friend was a vegetarian for a bit and finall I got her to see how hyocritical it was for her to wear leather and carry a leather purse, plussssssssss, she had a rabbit coat!

Well, not everyone quits for ethical reasons, but that is kind of funny. I know my sister quit because she honestly didn't like meat. But, she found out that she much prefers eating meat, to getting iron shots in the hip.

s_lone
Meat...

1: As a society, we eat too much of it. There ARE alternative sources of protein and face it, most people could survive very well by eating meat occasionally. I rarely eat it myself and I feel fine. I know many hard core vegetarians who have 10 times the energy that I do. A great majority of meat eaters eat it because it is conveniant and it tastes good. They are just not ready to make the effort to change their lifestyle.

2: If all the energy and ressources put into feeding the animals that are to be eaten by us was put into producing alternative food sources we would end up with MORE food for MORE people.

3: Most meat that we eat comes from animals that were treated like ****. We tend to forget animals have the potential to suffer. A chicken deserves to live like a chicken. That means NOT into a ridiculously small cage with its beak cut off so it won't kill its neighbor.

So in summary, I think it's OK to eat meat as long as the animals are treated with dignity and as long as it is eaten with moderation.

How about once a week? How would YOU deal that?

Tonington
Do you know how much food it takes to raise one kg of fish? It's entirely dependant on the species, but some are as low as 1.1 kg, by far the most efficient animals at converting food to flesh.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation

I would like to know why.

I like it.

AmberEyes
Conservative
Different people eat meat for different reasons. My family, for example, didn't have the money to buy much food as I was growing up. Fortunately, my mother was a very well known taxidermist in the area and, as payment for her beautiful work, she had access to all the wild game we needed to feed our family for years.

Now that my sister and I are living on our own, going to school and working hard to pay the bills, we find we don't have enough money to buy meat at all. Every now and then, as a very special treat, we buy ourselves a nice big slab of steak (I'm talking like once a month here...). Most of the time we live off of various beans and potatoes... and rice, rice is cheap. I can say now that my diet is mostly vegetarian, and my health is taking a toll. I'm obviously not getting all of the nutrients I need, and because of it my immune system is very poor.

Personally I see nothing wrong with eating meat. Humans, like many other animals, are predators. I do not agree with the cruel treatment of our food, so when I do get the chance, I tend to eat free-range meat, or just call up my mom's hunter friends and buy some wild game off them ^.^

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation

I have canines and incisors in my cakehole for a reason. It isn't wrong.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by s_loneView Post

Meat...

1: As a society, we eat too much of it. There ARE alternative sources of protein and face it, most people could survive very well by eating meat occasionally. I rarely eat it myself and I feel fine. I know many hard core vegetarians who have 10 times the energy that I do. A great majority of meat eaters eat it because it is conveniant and it tastes good. They are just not ready to make the effort to change their lifestyle.

2: If all the energy and ressources put into feeding the animals that are to be eaten by us was put into producing alternative food sources we would end up with MORE food for MORE people.

3: Most meat that we eat comes from animals that were treated like ****. We tend to forget animals have the potential to suffer. A chicken deserves to live like a chicken. That means NOT into a ridiculously small cage with its beak cut off so it won't kill its neighbor.

So in summary, I think it's OK to eat meat as long as the animals are treated with dignity and as long as it is eaten with moderation.

How about once a week? How would YOU deal that?

Your last statement I like. Except for one tiny problem . Are you aware of how much free range meat costs? I think your comments are quite valid but not plausable for the majority of poor.