Must Natives pay Taxes?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Before you get out hit the yes button, please read the post.

It depends. There are some situations in which Registered Indians do not pay taxes. Under sections 87 and 90 of the Indian Act, Registered Indians do not pay federal or provincial taxes on their personal and real property that is on a reserve. Personal property includes goods, services and income consistent with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) policies.

* In this document, when the term "First Nation" is used in the context of the Indian Act, it refers to an Indian Actband.

Since income is personal property, as a Registered (or entitled-to-be-registered) Indian, you may also be exempt from paying income tax on income earned on a reserve. For example, Registered Indians who work on a reserve do not pay federal or provincial taxes on their employment income. See the CCRA's June 1994 guidelines of "Indian Exemption on Employment Income."

Registered Indians do not pay federal or provincial sales taxes on personal and real property on a reserve. The federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) does not apply to on-reserve goods or to those goods acquired by a Registered Indian off-reserve, if the goods are delivered to a reserve by the vendor or the vendor's agent. Most provincial sales taxes are applied in a similar fashion. Special provincial rules may apply to items such as automobiles and alcohol. For example, in some provinces, an automobile must be registered to a reserve address to be tax exempt. For more information, contact the relevant provincial tax authorities.

I hope this dispells some of the myths and misconceptions.

I pay hefty taxes, both personal and business. So I can attest to the vaidity of this information. There are however loops and ways to make end runs around these laws, and yes I have been party to them. But I would assert that I likely pay higher income taxes then most of the residents of my neighbourhood or this forum, so I do not feel bad about that. In part because there are services and exemptions that I can not aquire, due to my living and business arrangements as well as personal choices, ie: I refuse to be a "gimme gimme gimme" Indian(note, the term Indian in this case is being used derogatorally, and is in no way the correct use of the word). So I have made use of some things in an, albeit serrupticious way, attempt to balance out what I see as fair way. Take that as you wish.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That's a great point Bear. I use to do mortgages on and off reserve for people with Indian Status and it was not lost on me that when reviewing their tax returns that only income earned on reserve was income tax free. While some receive their income in this way in my experience most don't seem to. They pay tax like anyone else.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
everyone should pay taxes no matter what culture or race they are
But the Government of the time gave that benefit to the Native peoples for the acquisition of the land that would become Canada today.

So if you wish to recind that treaty right, would you be willing to return the land and consessions that we gave up for it?

What if that is the land under your home?

Or would you like to just summarily end the tax exempt status of the Native Peoples illegally?

kellystone

Dec 3, 2006
Yes but the law at that time also encouraged flogging. Times change and everyone has to change with them!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not a problem.

So how would you answer the other questions then?

Seeing as you are asking to nullify the treaties, something a kin to buyers remorse, you would have to return, what you no longer want to pay for.

You can not buy a car and change your mind about paying for it, the same rule of law applies here.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
If the Government spent less time trying to screw the Natives out of their Treaty Rights and more time settling disputes we'd all be richer for the effort.

Note to Bear, I read a ruling in the paper yesterday that stated the Natives have the "Legal" right to log Crown Land. Did you see it?

kellystone

Dec 3, 2006
I would indeed scrap the treaty and treat everyone equally. If you can afford to buy the land then please do and if you can't then you are not going to get it for free. We don't owe natives anything and they as well do not owe us anything. How successful you are in life determines what you get out of it.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Poppy cock, a Treaty is a Legally binding agreement between the Natives and the Government and frankly if more people would educate themselves on what a treaty is they wouldn't make blanket statements about the Natives.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I would indeed scrap the treaty and treat everyone equally. If you can afford to buy the land then please do and if you can't then you are not going to get it for free. We don't owe natives anything and they as well do not owe us anything. How successful you are in life determines what you get out of it.
Unfortunetly that just is not how it works, and is quite unrational.

Do you regularly purchase things then stop payment on them?

Thanx Sass, you beat me to the punch,lol.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
New laws do not supercede old treaties, unless they specifically say so. Most First Nations signed treaties with Canada, The United Kingdom, France, These United States.... When Canada became a Dominion, it was obligate to respect previous treaties with many nations including First Nations.

Unless the Canadian government passes new laws specifically altering existing treaties or negotiate new treaties with First Nations, existing treaties remain law. No one is above the law.

Since The Crown recognized many First Nations as Nations and negotiated treaties with these Nations, those Treaties and Recognitions supercede The Crown's recognition of Canada, as in Canada's legal right to existance....

Even those First Nations which did not sign treaties with recognized governments have a right to clarify their relationship with Canada. In theory they could legally declare independance unless they specifically agree to have Canadian citizenship.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Just because the treaty exsists doesn't mean people can't disagree with it. Some people would like to see it thrown out. And so what? It's their opinon. So don't be so quick to jump on KellyStone. Especially you Bear considering you were just in another thread advocating laws should be changed regarding male rights and financial support.

Pesonally I am sick and tired of everyone on both sides. The government and the Natives.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes you can dissagree with it, but in the case of kellystone, I was simply pointing out that the action suggested by him would be tantamount to theft by deception and I believe against international law at this point.

What exactly has you fed up with the Natives if I may ask honestly?

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Yes you can dissagree with it, but in the case of kellystone, I was simply pointing out that the action suggested by him would be tantamount to theft by deception and I believe against international law at this point.

What exactly has you fed up with the Natives if I may ask honestly?

I am sick and tired of every time I turn on a story they want more. For example last night I was watching CBC and a native person was bitching because she had to pay taxes on cigaretts she bought off the reserve. Give me a break. If you don't want to pay taxes then buy your cigaretts on the reserve don't go off the reserve buy them then bitch about it.

I am also sick and tired of hearing them complain about how poor they are and how hard done by they are. These people have been given every opportunity by the government to help themselves. they get education for nothing if they want (post secondary) they don't have to pay taxes etc. It's so annoying.

LRG is matiee (i know i spelled it wrong whatever) and he qualifies for a lot of extra stuff the government hands out. I have learned a fair amount since getting together with Rob and everyday I learn more and every day I get more angry with them.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Well Bear, that wouldn't be the first time one group of people used deception, military force, or other illegal means to take something which belonged to others.

Violating treaties would break international and Canadian law.

We can't just pick and choose which laws we want to follow. That would lead to chaos.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am sick and tired of every time I turn on a story they want more. For example last night I was watching CBC and a native person was bitching because she had to pay taxes on cigaretts she bought off the reserve. Give me a break. If you don't want to pay taxes then buy your cigaretts on the reserve don't go off the reserve buy them then bitch about it.

I am also sick and tired of hearing them complain about how poor they are and how hard done by they are. These people have been given every opportunity by the government to help themselves. they get education for nothing if they want (post secondary) they don't have to pay taxes etc. It's so annoying.

LRG is matiee (i know i spelled it wrong whatever) and he qualifies for a lot of extra stuff the government hands out. I have learned a fair amount since getting together with Rob and everyday I learn more and every day I get more angry with them.
Oh I can agree with you on some of your frustrations. I won't go into all the aspects of my activism within the Native community, but my position is about accountablity and responsablity. So your frusrtation is not lost on me.

Here is a little fiscal info if you would like though...
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-politics/54233-fiscal-imbalance.html

I'm not for increasing funding, I'm more for using monies already allocated better and with greater accountablity. But that should not override already standing treaties.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Oh and to answer the original question. yes they should have to pay taxes. They should be treated just as everyone else is.

Just how i feel that in the USA blacks should stop sueing ancestors of people who had slaves that were their ancestors. to get rich.

Just how I feel that jewish lawyers should stop getting rich off the holocaust and reperation payments because again relatives of germans were Asshats.

I just think it is retarded that people must keep paying for things that they had nothing to do with.

And you say that "oh how would you like the government to give back the native land" why the hell would they do that?

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Oh I can agree with you on some of your frustrations. I won't go into all the aspects of my activism within the Native community, but my position is about accountablity and responsablity. So your frusrtation is not lost on me.

Here is a little fiscal info if you would like though...
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-politics/54233-fiscal-imbalance.html

I'm not for increasing funding, I'm more for using monies already allocated better and with greater accountablity. But that should not override already standing treaties.

The problem is that you can't help people that don't want to be helped.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Let me start off by saying Im Native American, Cherokee/Chawktaw I have no rights because my Moms birth certificate was burned in a fire that consumed the res townhouse. It was my Mom's dream to be counted and she died uncounted.

That being said, I believe treties are treties and should be up heald. BUT I also think that after a peticular amount of time (say 100 years) Those treties should be rethought out. I also believe that new treties are unnessacary. Why? Becaause by this time ALL citizens should come under the same laws.

I talk a great deal about their being no borders. I believe that is only going to be acheived by getting rid of the boarders within the boarders. Im not sure that makes sense. If we separate each other within the countrys how can we desegrigate to bring world unity? Indians of all nations should practice what their Shamans preach.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Let me start off by saying Im Native American, Cherokee/Chawktaw I have no rights because my Moms birth certificate was burned in a fire that consumed the res townhouse.

Why can't you order a new one?? Also under canadian law you should be able to just show how far back it goes. so if you can prove your mom's mom (or dad whatever) was native you should be able to get your rights.