NDP have won with Clean Air Act

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Prime Minister Stephen Harper has told Parliament Wednesday he will take the Clean Air Act to a committee before its second reading, paving the way for opposition parties to amend the act that was almost universally panned last month.
Denying the Conservatives had been in “a stand-off” with the NDP, Mr. Harper said in Wednesday's Question Period that the House leaders would now decide the best way to proceed on the issue that earlier this week looked like it could bring down the minority government.
NDP leader Jack Layton had threatened to pull the Harper government down with the Clean Air Act, saying on Tuesday that he would put a confidence motion before the Commons on Thursday if Mr. Harper refused to send the bill to committee without a vote so that all parties could work to improve it.
Earlier on Wednesday, the NDP said it would drop that attempt to instead take up the Tory's concession to allow the Clean Air Act to be altered by MPs in a committee.
Related to this article

Articles

Latest Comments

Follow this writer

Mr. Layton said his party will attempt to amend the government bill so that it forces Canadian industry to comply with the Kyoto Protocol's deep cuts to greenhouse gas emissions, even though the government has said Kyoto would be a disaster for Canada's economy.
“Our caucus liked the fact that there seemed to be some progress in response to our initiative and therefore we're going to stay on that track here today and see if we can't actually accomplish something,” Mr. Layton told reporters following a morning meeting with his MPs.
The bill will now go through the unusual step of being reviewed by a committee open to all parties before going to a second reading.
A spokesman for Environment Minister Rona Ambrose said it was yet to be decided exactly what form the committee would take.
Critics of the bill are expected to conduct a massive overhaul because they believe the Clean Air Act does not do enough to slow global warming.
The move appears to forestall an immediate confrontation in the Commons, though it is not clear how willing the government will be to see a piece of showcase legislation gutted.
On Tuesday, Mr. Layton tabled a private members bill called the Clean Air Accountability Act, calling for a reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions to 80 per cent of 1990 levels and a six-month consultation phase to set interim targets every five years, starting in 2015.
The Government's Clean Air Act sets a greenhouse-gas reduction target of 45 to 65 per cent of 2003 levels, with absolute reductions starting in 2020.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061101.wcleanair1101/BNStory/National/home

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Thats for sure. Months of building up a house of cards, entirely made of Jokers! The Harper government seems unwilling to do anything "made in Canada", though he sure does love throwing that label around.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
It seems to me the Harper government is all about blurring the issues. Whenever anyone questions them, they throw it back by saying, "when will the Liberals approve the accountability act" even though theres nothing in it to make government accountable.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What I don't like is the restrictive methods they are using. Accountability is great and all, but what about balanced press coverage. People can complain all they want about biased media, but the fact is that there are people out there who happen to agree with certain "biased" media. I'd be advocating against this if it were turned the other way around too.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Just because the Prime Minister doesn't like the media doesn't mean he should hide from them. We need the media to hold the government accountable. I feel the media is biased too. Thats why you need more then just one media source. That way you can filter through it and get a sense of the truth. There will always be biased media, since the days of William Randolph Hearst to Fox News today.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
This was a good play by Layton. I’ve railed against him for other poor strategic moves, but this was a well played card by the NDP and it appears to have worked and hopefully Canadians and the environment will all be better for it.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
This was a good play by Layton. I’ve railed against him for other poor strategic moves, but this was a well played card by the NDP and it appears to have worked and hopefully Canadians and the environment will all be better for it.
I agree with you,wonders never cease.This may work out well for everyone. I would really like to see Canada use the Kyoto targets,but with a slight change. If we do not meet the targets,instead of buying carbon credits from other countries,the money is put back into Canada for enviromental purposes. Real initiatives,not the sierras or suzukis,or other parasites.Put up windmills or deep sea turbines.