What right does the public [Canadians] have to know?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060922.wxcna-main23/BNStory/National/home

The amount of public money paid in bonuses to hospital administrators is beyond the public's right to know in cities such as Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

Local crime statistics in places such as Laval, Que., Pembroke, Ont., and Fredericton are a carefully guarded secret.

And inquiries from the public about the federal government's pandemic preparations are unworthy of a timely response from bureaucrats.

These are among the findings of a second annual test of government openness organized by the Canadian Newspaper Association.

Canadians in general seem to be quite content living in a permanent state of amnesia about government affairs.

Justice John Gomery wrote a scathing report about government corruption and the need for greater transparency and accountability. And John Reid issued a scathing rebuttal to Harper’s attempt to revising the accountability act. Reid argues under Harper’s amendments corruption will actually be easier to cover up.

Of course government corruption did not begin with Harper but he did campaign to end it and so should be held to higher scrutiny. The liberals were corrupt when in power but there was little pretense they were anything but sleazy politicians. The conservatives seem to have been distracted from their end of corruption focus after realizing that the corrupt system is functional for politicians and it is in their interests to maintain it.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Here, here I agree Sanch this issue is priority of mine. Harper did promise that he would clean up the corruption in government didn't he? Will it ever happen? I doubt it, some of these people wield big sticks of power.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Why don't we give Harper and crew a chance before we start lumping them in with the Liberals? The Liberals will do and say whatever is necessary to scuttle the accountability act.They truly believe they will be back in power soon and do not want to go back to stealing with only one hand. Anyways,why would anyone believe a thing that pack of liars say?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Re: RE: What right does the public [Canadians] have to know?

Sassylassie said:
Here, here I agree Sanch this issue is priority of mine. Harper did promise that he would clean up the corruption in government didn't he? Will it ever happen? I doubt it, some of these people wield big sticks of power.

sanity at last lol

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yep I'm sane, but I cannot believe the apathy amongst our population that don't care about corrupt Governments be it Municiple, Prov, or Fed. I was once asked to sit on a Steering Board by the Municipality, I did- jesus wept, you would not believe the self interest of the 12 people on the board. This experience left me very disillusioned to say the least. The subject for the board to debate? I'm to embarressed to tell!

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Re: RE: What right does the public [Canadians] have to know?

wallyj said:
Why don't we give Harper and crew a chance before we start lumping them in with the Liberals? The Liberals will do and say whatever is necessary to scuttle the accountability act.They truly believe they will be back in power soon and do not want to go back to stealing with only one hand. Anyways,why would anyone believe a thing that pack of liars say?

AGREED.....I say the Conservites need a Magority government before they can really set to work on fixing things. The Liberals and NDP love to mess with alot of great concepts, that normal the Liberals Especaily would support, but because they are still sour for looseing power they decided to be complete Jack Asses, and love to vote down alot of novel ideas. The fact that thye have the Nerve to shoot down the Lumber agreements, when infact the LIberal tried nothing to fix it is proof of their contempt for the Government and the well being of Canada. Not untill they show some back bone will I give a Vote to them.

First we need to fix the retarded Senate situation then thigns can go alot mroe smoothly.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Liberals promise, do nothing......

Child Care.......13 years Conservatives? 5 months

Air quality..........13years Conservative action very soon

Military upgrades...........13 years, most of it spent cutting the military's throat. Conservatives? 3 months

Just off the top of my head..............I'm sure there is a lot more.

IMHO Harper is doing a decent job, unless you compare him to the Liberals, then he is doing a wonderfully, marvelous, stupendously GREAT job.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
The topic is amending the accountability act. You can whistle and dance around it but Harper is playing the same game the liberals played and the conservatives before them. It's a corrupt government (civil service mostly) and that is why the info is not being released. I fail to understand the lack of political will in cleaning this mess up. The conservatives would gain public points and maybe move to a majority government if they were serious about tackling corruption, nepotism and patronage. But they won't do it which means either currently or historically their little digits are dirty.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
To be absolutely truthful, I don't know enough about the Act to debate it. I've heard it said it has holes you could drive a train through...........but it has to be an improvement.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Freedom of Information should be just that access to information, the loops, hoops, and down right deceit to hide info from Joe Q public is scandlous. What they pay health care Big Wigs in Bonuses should be public info. If the tax payers pay for it we have the right to see the books, or at least have access to that information.

I dare to dream.