Opposition demand Arar to be compensated

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
The Conservative government faced an onslaught of questions Tuesday from opposition MPs demanding to know what action Ottawa will take to compensate Syrian-born Canadian Maher Arar.

In a report made public on Monday, Justice Dennis O'Connor wrote that the RCMP passed misleading, inaccurate and unfair information to American authorities that "very likely" led to Arar's arrest and deportation to Syria, where he faced torture.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe rose in the House of Commons during question period on Tuesday to ask the prime minister how Ottawa intended to act.

"Given the inexact transmission of information to the American authorities that led Maher Arar being sent to Syria and imprisoned for a year, it was even recommended that compensation in the report be given to Mr. Maher Arar," Duceppe said in French.

"Does the government intend to act on the recommendation and compensate Mr. Arar?" he asked.

Duceppe also asked the prime minister if he would raise his concerns with Syrian and American officials on his visit to the United Nations on Thursday.

Most of the judge's 23 policy recommendations centred on the RCMP and emphasized the need to improve the force's internal policies for national security investigations and the sharing of information with other countries.

But O'Connor also recommended that Ottawa file formal protests with the U.S. and Syrian governments.

Harper said that the government planned to act according to O'Connor's recommendations but did not pinpoint what action Ottawa would take nor did he say whether the government would file a diplomatic protest with the U.S. or Syria.

"It is clear that there was injustice against Mr. Maher Arar and we intend to act," Harper said.

NDP Leader Jack Layton also went after Harper on his plan of action regarding Arar, demanding that he apologize to Arar immediately.

"Canada must apologize to Mr. Arar and to all his family. He suffered torture, he was taken away from his family, he was humiliated, he was dragged through the mud because Canada let him down," Layton said Tuesday.

"Why is the prime minister refusing to rise in this House and on behalf of the government of Canada, on behalf of all of the citizens of Canada? Why is he not apologizing to Maher Arar today, right now?"

Harper remained guarded in his response, repeating that he agreed a "great injustice" was done to Arar.

"The government will base its action on those recommendations, I understand that Mr. Arar has legal proceedings against the federal government and I await discussions amongst lawyers to reach a satisfactory result and which will satisfy Mr. Arar."

A damage suit by Arar against Ottawa was put on hold during O'Connor's inquiry. Both sides have agreed to mediation talks, but those meetings are not scheduled until next January.

Stockwell Day responds to critics

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day, meanwhile, said the government would not fire RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli, as some critics have demanded.

"We're not taking any precipitous action related to the RCMP,'' Day said, adding the government would "move forward'' on O'Connor's recommendations related to the police force.

Irwin Cotler, Liberal opposition critic for public safety, said officials who anonymously smeared Arar with false accusations of involvement in terrorism before and after his 2003 return from Syria "should be held accountable.''

Arar expressed his satisfaction at the report and called for the government to take action.

"I have always said that I want whoever is responsible for this to be held accountable, to make sure that this doesn't happen to any other Canadian. it is really up to the Canadian government to decide how to do this," he said Tuesday, appearing on CTV's Canada AM.

When asked whether it would satisfy him to see the Zaccardelli lose his job or resign, Arar repeated again that it was up to the government to make that decision.

"But I don't think we should really look at the role of Canadian officials as a whole and I don't think it's only a single official who is to be blamed for this," he said.

The RCMP said it was still reviewing the report.

In the meantime, the Arar commission report is drawing attention to the Bush administration's response to the Arar case.

A New York Times story pointed out that O'Connor concluded American authorities treated the Arar case "in a most regrettable fashion'' and dealt with Canadian officials "in a less than forthcoming manner.''

Americans, for example, denied Arar's request to speak with the Canadian consulate in New York after he was taken into custody there, which is considered a violation of international agreements.

American officials didn't participate in the inquiry and have so far steered clear of commenting on the report.

When asked to comment about the report, however, U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, told Reuters: "Mr. Arar was deported under our immigration laws. He was initially detained because his name appeared on terrorist lists; he was deported according to our laws."

He said the United States always seeks to assure itself that anybody it deports will not be tortured.

Arar was detained in New York on Sept. 26, 2002 under suspicion that he had ties to al Qaeda.

After 13 days in detention, American authorities sent Arar to Jordan, and from there to Damascus, where he was imprisoned for almost one year.

An independent fact-finder has subsequently corroborated Arar's claims that he was tortured by Syrian officials while in jail.

The telecommunications engineer, who was travelling with a Canadian passport at the time, also claims he was forced to make a false confession about his involvement in terrorist activities.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060919/arar_folo_060919/20060919?hub=Canada

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Wasnt it the Liberals who made the mess up.? Or let it slip through the cracks....If anything it should Be the Americans and SYRIANS who give him some cash

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
It was the Liberals, however, they wanted to free him while Stockwell Day and Harper in opposition wanted to have him sit in prison. And be tortured in Syria. So it is now the government under Harper that has to atone for what happened and why Arar has to be screened more than once when he boards a plane.

I hope Harper suffers for such comments he made.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Arar the true victim in this was treated horribley, there is enough guilt to go around. Compensate this young man and let him rebuild his life. Regardless as to which party was at fault, while they play who's the on first this man's life was almost distroyed by incompetant RCMP info. It could happen to any Canadian, I for one do not want to disappear in the dark of night in a black van because I'm brown skined.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
I hope he wins his case against the Canadian and American governments, even though I don't know what that will do to him anyway. What can money provide to his psyche after years of this.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
On the bright side, he could be getting compassionately interrogated in a secret terrorist prison somewhere in the world with no access to a lawyer or telephone. Maybe he's one of the lucky ones.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Re: RE: Opposition demand Arar to be compensated

Kreskin said:
On the bright side, he could be getting compassionately interrogated in a secret terrorist prison somewhere in the world with no access to a lawyer or telephone. Maybe he's one of the lucky ones.

Yeah, that is something to think about. This world has gone upside down. This would have been more of a concern with the old soviets. Now it's the USA who should be respecting the rule of law.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

elevennevele said:
Kreskin said:

Yeah, that is something to think about. This world has gone upside down. This would have been more of a concern with the old soviets. Now it's the USA who should be respecting the rule of law.

Where did the US fail to abide by the rule of law in this instance?

The RCMP notified US authorities that Arar was on a terrorist list.

He was detained and then deported.

Ever wonder why Canadian officials did't ask from US authorities to be sent back to Canada to deal with him?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
This is Canada's shame visa vie the RCMP and the Liberals, if the Conservatives are the Principled players that they claim to be--do the correct thing and compensate Arar. Let the politicians play politics before the Media another day, for once could a Politician do the "Right" thing. I'm sick off all the Political Parties using this issue to further their parties interests, have they no God Damn shame. NO.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

elevennevele said:
Kreskin said:

A couple of points here:

First of all, it was my understanding that the Americans were told Canada DID NOT WANT him sent back here. The Yanks were left with a terrorism suspect with dual Canadian-Syrian citizenship, and their friends the Canadians had just told them he was a terrorist and that Canada didn't want him........what else would they do but ship him to Syria?

What was done to Arar was completely unjust, uncalled for, it is a shame to those responsible, and heads should roll BIG TIME, Arar should be richly compensated, the RCMP upper echelon FIRED, and the public Parliamentary apology presented yesterday was perfectly appropriate.......

BUT, let's place the blame where it belongs.......on the CANADIAN side of the border.

We could have saved him and we didn't, and he was one of ours.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

Colpy said:
First of all, it was my understanding that the Americans were told Canada DID NOT WANT him sent back here...

by who? the cops? that's not their call.

I do believe the US was legally obligated to send Arar back here.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Bit

The Canadian authorities often refuse to send a felon from Canada to the U.S. because of the capital punishment laws here.

In the case of the military deserters - none were forced to return to were given asylum even though they had signed onto service and had reneged.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
So BitWhys....

When Canadian authorities are "legally obligated" to return felons to the U.S. - they do not have to do so?

What a strange logic you seem to have.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
apples and oranges, WC

The US couldn't and wouldn't hold him. The obligation was under the International Convention Against Torture. He should have gone either back to Switzerland or up here, NOT Syria since they are known torturers.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
The Canadians who sent the mis-information (RCMP) to the US are to blame. The Liberals come in second, they should of brought him home when the shit hit the fan. How many more Canadians have been shipped across the boarder and flown to Syria? How many innocents are in prison in Cuba? Will we ever know the truth?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This must be the face of the new democracy we live in. Our own police force can whisper in the ear of another government agency in another country, and have one of our citizens whisked away for torture.
The police and government are out of control, making every effort to lick the boots of uncle sam.
This guy was singled out for what reason, its been proven he was not a threat to our country, yet he is subjected to this kind of treatment.
Its becoming more and more clear that Bush and Harper are more of a threat than anyone else, yet people silently accept the fact that they are leading us down the path to a world war with no front line and no visible enemy. Its time for Canadians to wake up.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Wednesday's Child said:
Ahhhhhhhhhh I should have guessed .... and the correct answer is....

..............................Bush did it!
:p

that must have been your conscience speaking.