Conservatives bounce back, according to opinion poll

blugoo

Nominee Member
Aug 15, 2006
link

Seems like public opinion is solidifying a little. Cons in the mid-30s, Libs in the high 20s, NDP in the mid-teens.

Toro

Senate Member
The Conservatives will really, really have to screw up to lose the next election.

However, if you know anything about Canadian federal politics, the federal Tories have been in the past more than adept enough at doing so.

The people who want Harper out bad must understand that they are fighting history. The Liberals are the natural governing party, but they are not the only governing party. And when the Canadian public gets tired of the Liberals, they spank them and send them to the corner for a term or two before they allow them back to govern.

And the beneficiary of this are the Conservatives.

Its a natural reflex in Canadian politics.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Seven months of song and dance out of Harper and he's a point behind where he started from at election time. :lol: He better peddle faster. My guess is 2 of those points are out of sympathy for all the grief he's been getting over the AIDS conference. That'll fade.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Liberals should be chased down the street for at least another ten years. If you catch them have fun. And for gosh sakes don't tell anyone.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I could take a couple back to back terms of Harper as long as its minorities and he stops taking himself so damn seriously. Stupid idiot behaves like he actually thinks most people like him.

blugoo

Nominee Member
Aug 15, 2006
BitWhys said:
I could take a couple back to back terms of Harper as long as its minorities...

I think a minority government is best in most cases. It keeps the government accountable (somewhat) and reflects the will of the Canadian electorate more accurately. A party that receives 40% of the vote, well beneath a majority, should not be able to govern like it received 100%. But that's what happens in a majority government situation. Definitely a flaw in the system...

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
zoofer said:
BitWhys said:
... Stupid idiot behaves like he actually thinks most people like him.

Outside of Quebec they do.
:lol:

On the contrary, our Prime Minister Stephen Harper is quite popular here in Quebec as well. He didn't just pull those 10 seats out of a hat. It also looks as though the Conservatives have gained some substantial support in Montreal as well the past few weeks. Come the next federal election, keep your eyes on the Mount Royal riding here in Montreal. The riding has traditionaly voted Liberal, but it looks like the tide has turned.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
BitWhys said:
Seven months of song and dance out of Harper and he's a point behind where he started from at election time. :lol: He better peddle faster. My guess is 2 of those points are out of sympathy for all the grief he's been getting over the AIDS conference. That'll fade.

I woulden't put too much money on the polls right now. Wasen't Mr Harper up around the high 30s low 40s right before the Israel/Hezbollah conflict? It seems Canadians used to years of being neutral, have shown some resistance in standing up for what they believe in. Yes, I believe Canadians are "scared"to stand up for what they believe in, Iremember polls showed Canadian support for Israel in the mid 60s. So whats up, all Harper said was that he suports Israels right to defend itself!

Anywho, I doubt Canadians will go to the polls and vote based on this issue, or foreign policy as a rule.

link:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=201868ff-2685-4321-b222-a9307230d14e&k=88384

blugoo

Nominee Member
Aug 15, 2006
RE: Conservatives bounce

I just clicked on Hank's link, and it's instances like this where I really don't understand Quebec.

Hezbollah masses on Lebanon's southern border with Israel, kidnaps Israeli soldiers (which is an act of war, btw) fires rockets purposely at innocent civilians, and has a stated aim of the destruction of Israel - Yet according to most Quebecers, it's Israel who must compromise their position? That's just...insane.

It's hearing things like these that I can almost buy the separatist's argument: Quebec really does seem like a foreign country.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
RE: Conservatives bounce

Fact of the matter is the polls haven't budged. For a guy with the upper hand he sure isn't making much headway.

nice red herring though.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
The Cons will get about 40% in the next election. Either a large minority or slim majority. The NDP will slip to 13% or so...the Greens 5%.

The real question mark is Quebec. Will it turn into a BQ/Con contest with the Libs evaporating or will the ibs make a resurgence and make it a BQ/Lib/Con race.

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
On the contrary, our Prime Minister Stephen Harper is quite popular here in Quebec as well. He didn't just pull those 10 seats out of a hat. It also looks as though the Conservatives have gained some substantial support in Montreal as well the past few weeks. Come the next federal election, keep your eyes on the Mount Royal riding here in Montreal. The riding has traditionaly voted Liberal, but it looks like the tide has turned.

The tide has indeed turned. Here's a link ...

http://www.thesuburban.com/content.jsp?sid=19981452119006282487603730816&ctid=1000029&cnid=1009742